Show Of Hands January 13th, 2013 12:00am

Should the government being doing more to try reduce obesity among the American population?

jonny323
01/14/13 8:52 am

That was a reply to cowboy, not you.

gunluvr NOT a Gun Free Zone
01/14/13 8:50 am

Ibakes , liberals think they know what's best for "society"...when really all they want is control...I choose liberty and freedom...you stay out of my business and I'll stay out of yours...I think that's fair...

iBakes California
01/14/13 8:48 am

Tax dollars don't fund abortions. It's illegal. Abortions are funded by donation. Now that you're up to speed - tax dollars go towards health care therefore obesity is EVERYONE'S problem. Understand now? Do I need to help you out more?

iBakes California
01/14/13 8:46 am

The government's sole job isn't monetary concerns. The government represents the people, and when the people can't even take care of themselves the government needs to do what they can to help. Otherwise we fail.

gunluvr NOT a Gun Free Zone
01/14/13 8:46 am

Ibakes, what I eat is my business and doesn't "affect society" ... If I choose to eat poorly, I will die early..my choice..unlike my tax dollars going to planned parenthood to support abortion that I have no choice in....oh wait, in Texas we are trying to stop that money from going there

Doopy Remedial Americanism
01/14/13 8:46 am

But let's be honest. The fat poor are not starving. If they were, they wouldn't be fat. If they have enough money, food stamps, etc. to get fat, they have enough to eat healthy. So when I say "significantly" I mean just that.

jonny323
01/14/13 8:46 am

Healthy foods and a higher tax for fast food companies, processed food companies, and companies that sell agricultural pesticides/genetically modified crops.

Doopy Remedial Americanism
01/14/13 8:45 am

Well, if starvation is really the issue, then foods that are high in vitamins and minerals, but not calories will kill them. Starvation is when you run out of calories.

iBakes California
01/14/13 8:45 am

When did I say anything about the government forcing people to do something? The gov can help by food labeling, education, fitness promotion, etc. All kinds of things. Stop name calling like a child & try being productive.

DrReid Ever present.
01/14/13 8:45 am

Cowboy, liberalism is not a mental illness, but bigotry is.

DrReid Ever present.
01/14/13 8:43 am

Two things, every other first world country has "government healthcare" today. And we will not be getting government healthcare in the US, the single payer plan, died with the passage of the Affordable healthcare Act, not that I am complaining.

leary Dulag Luft
01/14/13 8:43 am

Want to give more of my money to eff up something else. Bite me.

leary Dulag Luft
01/14/13 8:41 am

The government can't pour piss out of a boot with instruction written on the heel. Look how wonderful our legal system, our judicial system, our education system, our federal highways, need I mention TSA, FBI, CIA, FDA etc, etc, etc. And you rocket science dems

jonny323
01/14/13 8:41 am

You realize that not a single person has advocated an outlawing of junk food? All you anti government "conservatives" take every liberal idea and think of the most extreme way of implementing it. Then you go around thinking you're so much smarter than the person who came up with that extreme idea.

iBakes California
01/14/13 8:40 am

Radioman, abortion and marriage equality don't affect the general population. They also aren't epidemics. Obesity does and is. Please don't generalize an entire group of people when you can't even properly draw a parallel to support your views.

gunluvr NOT a Gun Free Zone
01/14/13 8:40 am

Rand, its none of the government's business. Unlike you, I want to be left alone (its called FREEDOM).

jonny323
01/14/13 8:35 am

Actually it is much cheaper to keep a family from starving by using foods that are high in fats and calories than foods that are high in vitamins and minerals. The McDonald's stuff was a bit of an exaggeration. Yes I do believe the government should do something. There should be subsidies for...

erika348 Texas
01/14/13 8:30 am

Fair, but why the Government? They can't even pass a budget. It is NOT the Governments job to regulate health. I would be happy if they can just do the job they are charted to do.

gunluvr NOT a Gun Free Zone
01/14/13 8:30 am

Ibakes, you don't understand (like most liberals), we don't want you or anyone else telling us how to live...isn't that what liberals keep saying about abortion or gay marriage ? Why do you feel the need to impose your views on obesity on us ?

EarlyBird Portland
01/14/13 8:30 am

CommonCent - I'm not sure how you can make that claim. We are a nation of fatties and we've done it to ourselves! We've shown we need help. Should the government sit back and watch, as the country gets sicker and sicker?

cowboy Doors of Perception
01/14/13 8:15 am

How did government healthcare work out for the Soviets? At least people were skinny because there was not enough government cheese. Think of the money we will save!

rachiepoo San Diego
01/14/13 8:08 am

I sometimes think they should ban fast food places, but then I think about whether I want the govt telling me what to do on other areas. The answer is NO. So I have to have the same view here.

cowboy Doors of Perception
01/14/13 8:08 am

Or to save money the government IPAB panel will deny them medication and treatment causing death. Problem solved. Who says government doesn't care?

cowboy Doors of Perception
01/14/13 8:05 am

So force people to do what the government says? That's not scary at all... Liberalism is a dangerous mental disorder.

DrReid Ever present.
01/14/13 8:02 am

Fat people are a drag on our country, they harm the production of our companies and tarnish our image... We should deport them! ;)

DrReid Ever present.
01/14/13 8:00 am

Well said ibrake

christine1986
01/14/13 7:59 am

Not when I'm paying for their insurance...

iBakes California
01/14/13 7:59 am

States* autocorrect got that one wrong.

iBakes California
01/14/13 7:58 am

Us liberals are hoping someone will hold Republicans' hands into a healthy lifestyle since they obviously can't do it on their own. The 3 stated with the highest obesity rates are deep red. That's not a coincidence. We don't need the hand holding ourselves.

iBakes California
01/14/13 7:51 am

Those are the people that aren't obese and are hoping the rest of the population will become healthier.

iBakes California
01/14/13 7:51 am

It's painfully obvious a majority of the general population can't do it on their own so, the government is the next step. Everyone benefits in many ways from the general population being healthy.

gunluvr NOT a Gun Free Zone
01/14/13 7:47 am

Many of these Liberals are freeloaders that live off of the system. The drank the government's cool-aid and have no desire to think for themselves anymore ...

cornybread The Large Malus Fruit
01/14/13 7:46 am

it would be great if they taught about being physically healthy in health class. when I took it, I was mostly taught about sex and mental disorders.

Emma Austin.ish.
01/14/13 7:45 am

I was just about to post that same thought until I read your comment. that's exactly true.

iBakes California
01/14/13 7:45 am

Don't be a moron. You're just embarrassing yourself.

erika348 Texas
01/14/13 7:43 am

I'm surprised at the number of people wanting Uncle Sam to be their Daddy. Incredible.

EarlyBird Portland
01/14/13 7:40 am

Don't kids take health class anymore? There's a huge opportunity, are we missing it? They should be incorporating exercise into the classes as well.

ZaQ777 Pittsburgh
01/14/13 7:35 am

People have every right to be whatever body type they want.

cowboy Doors of Perception
01/14/13 7:33 am

It's reality. Especially with Liberals banning salt, soda and preventing the poor and elderly from getting live saving operations.

coach60
01/14/13 7:32 am

The government already is doing a lot to promote obesity. Cut all the lazy folks off of government hand outs and make them work for a living. Why would anyone work when they know Uncle Sam will provide free drugs, food, & rent?

Doopy Remedial Americanism
01/14/13 7:22 am

It's always easier to eat unhealthy food, but junk food is not really significantly cheaper.

cornybread The Large Malus Fruit
01/14/13 7:19 am

just because some people may have a harder time staying healthy, does not mean that they are not responsible for their health.

cornybread The Large Malus Fruit
01/14/13 7:17 am

Only in this country would being poor be associated with being overweight. it used to be that poor people were skinny because they had nothing to eat. I understand that when you have less money it's easier to just eat cheap unhealthy food, but they are still responsible for it

labby MT
01/14/13 7:14 am

I said no until I thought about how the government subsidizes the food industry, mainly corn. The best way for gov to help prevent obesity would be to change subsidies to healthier foods so they are more affordable to lower income families.

CommonCent
01/14/13 7:04 am

Apparently, 67% of liberals aren't smart enough or have enough intestinal fortitude to do it on their own. They need their hand held and told exactly what to do.
Pathetic and they should be embarrassed.

RandFan Headed to IPhone rehab
01/14/13 7:00 am

Wow! The paranoia exhibited here is staggering. Perhaps you'd be more comfortable in a country like Somalia. No government at all, sunny weather, no gun laws. It's Teapublican paradise!

RandFan Headed to IPhone rehab
01/14/13 6:55 am

So your view if the world is a barbaric "every man for himself" kill or be killed environment.

That's depressing as hell.

RandFan Headed to IPhone rehab
01/14/13 6:53 am

Jac.

I'm not quite sure what you meant. But I suppose it comes down to what you believe the role of government to be.

I see government as educating and protecting our nation. It's not doing a good job of it now (due to "special interests") but it can get better.