Show Of Hands January 13th, 2013 12:00am

Should the government being doing more to try reduce obesity among the American population?

susanr Colorado
01/14/13 5:39 pm

I missed a chapter. Who are the wigs?

dreamitliveit IDLH
01/14/13 5:29 pm

There are also many other ideas worth reading about in the comments.

dreamitliveit IDLH
01/14/13 5:25 pm

I think most of us agree that limitations like that are pretty stupid. What most commenters have suggested is better information on food labels & ads, and changing the subsidy system so that fresh fruit & vegetables are more accessible to all people. This gives us MORE choices and freedom, not less.

dreamitliveit IDLH
01/14/13 5:23 pm

The question asks if the government should be "doing more" to help decrease obesity. It didn't specify what should be done, so you can't assume that anyone wants more government control.
It's easy to immediately think of things like soda size limits, but that's just one (dumb) idea...

susanr Colorado
01/14/13 5:04 pm

Yes. I voted no.

leary Dulag Luft
01/14/13 4:58 pm

Send both the dems and the wigs and make sure you don't miss the boat.

superdave
01/14/13 4:58 pm

Do liberals have any capacity to think for themselves? They need government to control everything!

weallhave1 Tennessee
01/14/13 4:53 pm

And make sure I'm exempted from the laws, because I'm better than everyone else who makes bad decisions.

SGTHOOAH
01/14/13 4:43 pm

Obesity kills more people then guns, so yes!

susanr Colorado
01/14/13 4:37 pm

I really didn't have to strain my brain at all...

cowboy Doors of Perception
01/14/13 4:18 pm

I asked you guys a question.

readhp1008 Hogwarts
01/14/13 4:16 pm

Why don't we restrict your talking limit.

readhp1008 Hogwarts
01/14/13 4:15 pm

And why don't we let the idea of a free economy just jump out a window.

cowboy Doors of Perception
01/14/13 4:15 pm

When it comes to government invasion in our lives, the Liberals will always chose a tyrannical government.

readhp1008 Hogwarts
01/14/13 4:14 pm

ADHD tax, schizophrenia tax, child tax, adult tax, fun tax, book tax, Internet tax, breathing tax. Sounds good to me.

readhp1008 Hogwarts
01/14/13 4:11 pm

Oh and maybe they can pick out my outfit tomorrow too! And do my laundry and cook my dinner!

readhp1008 Hogwarts
01/14/13 4:10 pm

I've seen my fair share of fat black people.

readhp1008 Hogwarts
01/14/13 4:08 pm

Well? Maybe people would stop being anorexic.

ARE YOU IMPLYING THAT I AM FAT?
I'm not.

krazyyivan
01/14/13 4:04 pm

Americans eat too much, eating too much of anything will make you fat. With the possible exception of celery.

rbrown1
01/14/13 3:37 pm

Doopy, this is just how the insurance industry works. Since treatment is too expensive for most citizens, we use insurance to spread the risk & cost among larger groups. If we got rid of insurance, we'd all just die. I don't see what you're getting at.

penguins511
01/14/13 3:30 pm

Anyone else noticed that yes is usually the democrats answer and no is republican?

WhatsThatSmell Florida
01/14/13 3:07 pm

The grammar for that question are be terrible.

Rafic
01/14/13 3:02 pm

Wheat, corn, soybean, rice... All make you fat... There are MANY scientific journal articles to back that.

cowboy Doors of Perception
01/14/13 2:55 pm

?It ? when Governor Romney talks about this board, for example ? unelected board that we've created ? what this is, is a group of health care experts, doctors, et cetera, to figure out how can we reduce the cost of care in the system overall, ? Obama said.
Maybe you pay attention more.

dreamitliveit IDLH
01/14/13 2:46 pm

I compost in my backyard. I have heard of ways to do it without a yard, but haven't tried any. Well, except for putting egg shells and a few other things directly into the potted plants. Good luck!

cowboy Doors of Perception
01/14/13 2:43 pm

I can't help it if Bloomberg has stupid ideas.

Doopy Remedial Americanism
01/14/13 2:32 pm

I think the west is more conservative, and the east more liberal.

Anyways, it's all just a big joke. Try not to over-think it.

gtgconfused
01/14/13 2:27 pm

You can find a ton of urban composting info on line. We use Mother Earth info quite a bit.

I try to put food scraps, peanuts & seed out for squirrels and blue jays. We put the mulch/compost at the back corner. The wild critters (even skunks) help tilling it.

susanr Colorado
01/14/13 2:25 pm

If those were my only two choices... I'm not sure. Depends on the island. I wouldn't mind terribly living in West Virginia or Michigan again, but I think my daughter & son-in-law would. How about we move YOU to the east coast & the 3 of us will stay here? (I could also volunteer for CA, OR or WA.)

susanr Colorado
01/14/13 2:11 pm

Do any of you do urban composting? I'd love to be able to use my "garbage" for fertilizer & not just put it in the landfill, but I don't have any place to compost conventionally. Not sure I want a box of worms & garbage inside my apartment & it's too cold to leave them outdoors. Has anyone done it?

Doopy Remedial Americanism
01/14/13 2:10 pm

It's better than a remote island somewhere, isn't it?

dreamitliveit IDLH
01/14/13 2:08 pm

So true about South Texas dirt! Nothing will grow! I grew up in San Antonio. It's like 1/2 inch dry dirt, and below that is solid limestone.

gunluvr NOT a Gun Free Zone
01/14/13 2:08 pm

Ibakes , sounds like you follow the liberal talking points like a good sheep...now the facts ... My body is my business (abortionist should agree on this) , guns don't kill people ... just like cars don't make you drive drunk.. And Al Gore sold out to big oil . Global warning is about $$$ , a scam

susanr Colorado
01/14/13 2:06 pm

No thanks, Doopy. I'm liking Colorado quite well.

dreamitliveit IDLH
01/14/13 2:01 pm

Thanks! I also have wondered why so many gardens have the flag & pinwheel decorations...now I know! We have lots of birds so I'll probably need some too! Do squirrels pose any problems? There are probably more squirrels than people in my neighborhood!

susanr Colorado
01/14/13 1:58 pm

...a great option for poor people. I survived for a few months on the cafeteria food, fast food & vending machines where I worked. It was pretty awful. I would have given anything for a corner grocery. Even the supermarkets were poor - one had terrible meat, the other never had fresh produce.

Doopy Remedial Americanism
01/14/13 1:58 pm

The stuff we export certainly doesn't make us fat...

Doopy Remedial Americanism
01/14/13 1:56 pm

That's an awfully small sample size...

Doopy Remedial Americanism
01/14/13 1:55 pm

Or we could skip the whole island idea, move all the liberals east of the Mississippi, send all the conservatives west, and take bets on who's still here in 50 years...

susanr Colorado
01/14/13 1:55 pm

You're right about food deserts, dreamit. I used to live in one. I don't drive & the nearest grocery was 3/4 mile. I don't mind walking, but it was pretty awful in winter (hills & ice), and was impossible for a few months after I broke my leg. I could have taken a cab, but that's not...

Doopy Remedial Americanism
01/14/13 1:52 pm

Organic food is rich food snob food. Plain old genetically modified rice and vegetables work fine. They're cheap, still full of all the nutrients you need, and actually pretty tasty.

jonny323
01/14/13 1:52 pm

Yes, implement a small tax on fast food and use it for subsidies for organic farming and stores that sell healthy foods below a certain price.

Rafic
01/14/13 1:49 pm

Rough estimate based on 10 people I know with autistic children... All but three were symptom free after 8 week GAPS and then paleo

susanr Colorado
01/14/13 1:49 pm

Good trick with the catnip, gtg! I tried growing it for my cats once but they dug up the whole plant. If I did it again I'd probably put a little chicken-wire cage over the base of the plant. Ad I love the pinwheel idea!

cornybread The Large Malus Fruit
01/14/13 1:47 pm

well, if you're comparing the organic food aisle or whole foods market to the junk food aisle and McDonald's, it is. but you don't have to resort to junk and fast food just because money is tight.

gtgconfused
01/14/13 1:44 pm

Oops, pushed reply to army (below) showed up in wrong place

RogueMom In a Hand Basket
01/14/13 1:43 pm

Dream: And my idea was a Capitalistic approach to your neighbors problem. You could get your food, others food, make a profit, AND support local farmers all at the same time.

OH! But that's taking an individual step and could fail financially. When in doubt fuss until the government does it for you

gtgconfused
01/14/13 1:42 pm

Planted catnip away from garden to draw the cats there. Flags & pinwheels help with birds. Also dry catnip for my own cats. Haven't tried tea yet. It is capable of taking over, so make sure you plant where you need it or use pots.

RogueMom In a Hand Basket
01/14/13 1:41 pm

Jonny: So YOU have Info that no one else has? How'd you get it? You have a way to make quality food cheaper for consumers? Sounds like corners about to be cut.

Dream:Your neighbors can't get good food, but you can?

All of these things sound like personal choices, no Gov req.