Show Of Hands January 13th, 2013 12:00am

Should the government being doing more to try reduce obesity among the American population?

tamtam
01/13/13 5:56 pm

It is not the governments responsibility to manage people's weight.

MrMilkdud
01/13/13 6:05 pm

If the question starts with "should the government be doing more..." The answer is NO

malibog 12309
01/13/13 6:10 pm

Why is someone's lack of self control my problem?

jj4tigers Missouri
01/13/13 6:09 pm

It isn't the government's problem to handle. It's personal.

sccr28jb No No No
01/13/13 6:18 pm

Fat tax anyone?

MarciS Formerly mjs83
01/13/13 6:31 pm

Yes in that they should require more transparency in the food & drug industries. I do not think the government should tell us what we can and cannot eat. But they should work to lower the cost of healthier food. You shouldn't have to break the bank in the produce department.

poliscigi Brooklyn
01/13/13 6:05 pm

Obesity is a public health concern. Like pollution and traffic safety, it is the role of the government to enforce reasonable restrictions.

truspec Texas
01/13/13 5:58 pm

It's our choice what we do with our bodies

sarahrep
01/13/13 6:13 pm

If I want to eat my shoes for breakfast, it's my God-given right to do so.

CTYankee!!! Connecticut
01/13/13 8:29 pm

What the government can do is enforce better truth on labeling and packaging. Often, when we think we are being healthy, we are not.

thatguy81 here
01/13/13 7:16 pm

Have to say, it is the typical democrat response to say "yes please government, I don't want to take responsibility for myself and my family, please pass more laws to protect us from ourselves!"

Bougey Minnesota
01/13/13 6:53 pm

How about the goverment does LESS in our lives, and only does more to reduce the deficit and to protect our freedoms.

drewo
01/13/13 8:18 pm

Government subsidizes all the crap food in this country. I'd argue government is the cause of Americans poor diet/obesity

gjb2779
01/13/13 8:30 pm

We should do everything we can to help inform citizens of healthy choices & if possible make healthier food more affordable for all. HOWEVER we should not be making laws restricting people's choices like that awful NY soda law, if people want to be unhealthy, that's their choice not the govts

ravensfreak95
01/13/13 10:12 pm

Easy answer to this one. Of course the government is not doing enough. They should regulate what we eat, watch on tv, drink, look at on the Internet. The government knows best after all. - (completely sarcastic for anyone thinking I am serious)

Doopy Remedial Americanism
01/13/13 7:26 pm

"Should the government be doing more—" No.
"Should there be a new law—" No.
"Should we ban—" No.
How much more should power be shifted from the citizens to the government? None. We should de-centralize power, give it to the people.

Melon No Ducklips
01/13/13 6:19 pm

Another thing the government has no business sticking their nose into.

Malekithe FJB
01/13/13 9:24 pm

Democrats:
Please stop expecting the government to solve all of our problems for us. If you have not figured it out yet, they are not good at solving anything.

deathvalley Chicago native
01/14/13 12:06 am

The government can't and shouldn't control what we eat...
BUT
The government should be controlling what gets put into our food like hormones and steroids!

beanD California
01/13/13 8:50 pm

"Should the government be doing..."

Nah.

FemmeAdamWest in the Tardis library
01/14/13 1:24 pm

Or we can send all the republicans, then it would be a rich white middle aged sausage fest where equal rights don't exist and they can get drunk and shoot each other like the rednecks they are just dying to be :)

smtimberman
01/13/13 9:28 pm

Yes. Longer gym classes, healthier school lunches, and the FDA needs to more regulate the health claims that food and drugs make.

vbranger Hillary for Prison
01/14/13 1:05 pm

We should ship these liberals to an island of their choice, have all the laws in place that they like...like eat what I say to eat, no guns, no free speech, no free religion, have complete government control, and big gov't debt, this way they can get a taste of what is happening to this country.

Lutang
01/13/13 10:46 pm

So you're NOT in favor of abortion laws or the Patriot Act, correct?

roybiker12
01/13/13 8:39 pm

Where is personal responsibility? If we can do nothing without the Federal government, we can do nothing.

Isomax TIC TOC
01/13/13 6:13 pm

The government has no business in 90% of what it's already involved in. Absolutely not.

huskermedic Cincinnati
01/13/13 9:25 pm

Some things are ok like truth in food labeling. The fed roll needs to be making sure the person has the info to make the best decision for there health. The fed's roll is not to tell someone they can't have two candy bars.

aria25
01/14/13 10:33 am

Ahh the liberals come up with another way to spend the money we don't have. Congrats! ????????????

cowboy Dawns Highway
01/14/13 4:15 pm

When it comes to government invasion in our lives, the Liberals will always chose a tyrannical government.

CommonCent
01/14/13 7:04 am

Apparently, 67% of liberals aren't smart enough or have enough intestinal fortitude to do it on their own. They need their hand held and told exactly what to do.
Pathetic and they should be embarrassed.

dustbunny
01/13/13 8:47 pm

Why do people always expect everything from the government? How about you take your fat ass to the gym and start eating better? I'm overweight (slightly) because I like bread not because of anything the government has done or failed to do.

BamaGirl ROLL TIDE from Arizona
01/13/13 10:16 pm

I agree on informing the consumer, but we need more than a calorie count, like honest ingredient lists.

honored
01/13/13 10:22 pm

Many of you are building a straw man here. Of course it's not ok for the government to tell us what to eat, but it is ok for the government to educate us, and make laws that requires businesses to let us know what we are eating (nutritional facts).

thatguy81 here
01/13/13 6:54 pm

How about the government stays the hell out of my house!

Bolide
01/13/13 10:51 pm

When I say yes, I mean they should offer easier opportunities for people. Create a culture, promote healthy eating and make it more attractive for people instead of banning and regulating.

jacmcmaho
01/13/13 7:09 pm

Obesity is a bad thing don't get me wrong but it's not the governments place to try and control it

BamaGirl ROLL TIDE from Arizona
01/13/13 8:06 pm

I have a B. A. in English, but I am SICK of the comments criticizing Tony's grammar. The question is perfectly understandable, so give him a break. I'm sure that your grammar is ALWAYS perfect. :/

gunluvr NOT a Gun Free Zone
01/13/13 7:13 pm

Anytime the government gets involved in anything, they mess it up...so they need to stay out of our personal lives...each person needs to decide what is best for them...it's NOT a decision some bureaucrat in Washington has any business making...

praetorianus65
01/13/13 9:39 pm

@Bama : I can confirm that, I've worked for a mover time ago - he had two kids, 12 and 16. The younger one already weighed 180. I've spent several days with the family and saw those kids ate less than I did but were extremely obese.
Denying health care to obese people would be a great injustice.

barbearnj Dreaming of Banff
01/14/13 11:41 am

People should be responsible for their own bodies. The government F's everything up anyway.

cowboy Dawns Highway
01/14/13 8:05 am

So force people to do what the government says? That's not scary at all... Liberalism is a dangerous mental disorder.

BamaGirl ROLL TIDE from Arizona
01/13/13 6:39 pm

I think the government should provide more information & easy to read labels. Remove words like "natural flavors" & make them list actual ingredients. It would be good if they couldn't label items as trans fat free when they actually contain some. Also, I would like to see GMO labeling.

roybiker12
01/13/13 8:40 pm

Note to Federal Government; Stay out of my life!

bruhman
01/13/13 8:52 pm

The government should stay out of people's personal lives and let people be responsible for themselves.

labby MT
01/14/13 7:14 am

I said no until I thought about how the government subsidizes the food industry, mainly corn. The best way for gov to help prevent obesity would be to change subsidies to healthier foods so they are more affordable to lower income families.

praetorianus65
01/13/13 8:53 pm

...although I admit I've seen more people fat enough to let your jaw drop in the US - it's still a tiny minority.
I see about 10 slim and trim joggers per waddling mount of meat.

cato Santa Barbara, California
01/14/13 11:03 am

Nope the government shouldn't be in the healthcare business either.

BamaGirl ROLL TIDE from Arizona
01/13/13 9:23 pm

Most "obesity-caused problems" have other causes, like genetics. Are you going to start a eugenics program, too?

erika348 Texas
01/14/13 7:43 am

I'm surprised at the number of people wanting Uncle Sam to be their Daddy. Incredible.

Doopy Remedial Americanism
01/14/13 1:55 pm

Or we could skip the whole island idea, move all the liberals east of the Mississippi, send all the conservatives west, and take bets on who's still here in 50 years...