Show Of Hands January 13th, 2013 12:00am

Should the government being doing more to try reduce obesity among the American population?

stuebs 64744
01/21/13 8:17 am

It's none of their business if people are over weight or not.. The government needs to keep their already brown nose out of people's personal business..

dirk2012
01/20/13 9:54 pm

No more government, period. Please stop asking the government for help!

susanr Colorado
01/20/13 8:41 pm

What really gets to me is the people who say its simple - just push away from the table; you're just a lazy slob. If only it were that easy, there'd be few fat people. I have tremendous self discipline in other parts of my life; I've never had it in regard to eating.

susanr Colorado
01/20/13 8:38 pm

...nutritional counseling more than anything else. Even then, I already KNEW the nutritional info, but the nutritionist was just a much better & enthusiastic coach than the shrink. Then they cut the nutritionist of of the program. <sigh>

susanr Colorado
01/20/13 8:36 pm

Really! I went to a physician-run weight loss clinic at the medical school where I worked. They were using a drug that the dept. head had done clinical studies on. They also tinkered with other drugs (antidepressants, ADD drugs etc.) I did lose a lot of weight, but I credited it more to the...

EarlyBird Portland
01/20/13 8:15 pm

Why is it so hard to invent something legal, effective, and without side affects for loosing weight.
We can send man to outer space but can't make people not want to eat?

elocag
01/20/13 7:10 pm

Such as adding restrictions to food stamps and welfare spending.

zendoll1
01/20/13 2:03 pm

They know the lobbyist for GMO & HFCS industries are causing much of the health issues in the nation

Damien
01/20/13 12:55 pm

Subsidizing fruit and vegetable produce instead of corn used to made high fructose corn syrup would be a start. Im tired of my tax dollars helping people that are too stupid to help themselves stay off junk food and end up with a list of health problems a mile long.

Burntwaffle VA Politics and Pie
01/20/13 9:39 am

This isn't anything new. I have an antique Newsweek magazine made in 1945 that talks about americans being too fat.

pinkyusuck The Carribean. I wish.
01/20/13 7:00 am

For the record, I'm not the fat, old, unhealthy male.

pinkyusuck The Carribean. I wish.
01/20/13 7:00 am

Screw you. The unhealthy already subsidize YOUR health insurance. Do you know what insurance premiums run for a fat, old, unhealthy male? And you wanna make him pay more? For shame.

pinkyusuck The Carribean. I wish.
01/20/13 6:57 am

No. Let people be fat if they want to. I like The Biggest Loser.

ineedaname
01/20/13 3:38 am

If obese people don't want to work out, thats their problem not the government's.

cowboybuttsex
01/19/13 9:45 pm

Obama sucks along with Obama care

cowboybuttsex
01/19/13 9:41 pm

The government shouldn't control our lifestyles

Weave77 Indianapolis
01/18/13 9:42 pm

Yes. Congress should set a good example for America by getting off their fat asses and actually doing something productive...

indiaforshado
01/18/13 8:32 pm

It isn't the governments job to make people healthy, that is each persons own job, they also should be able to control what people eat, that's a persons choice. Not the governments

pages
01/18/13 4:48 pm

I agree !!! I also believe that we should install taxes on unhealthy foods an discourage them through increasing the price . This could help our deficit and decrease obesity

pages
01/18/13 4:45 pm

@cowboy you are the prove of our failing education system

pages
01/18/13 4:41 pm

Thing about your "personal responsibility" is that while people are out in the world ruining their body's we still have to pay for their healthcare and emergency room visits . I say try and solve obesity and dept together with higher sin taxes . Make the unhealthy life style expensive.

pages
01/18/13 4:35 pm

I run everyday and eat healthy . I say sin taxes should be increased. Higher beer , fast food and soda tax so the healthy arnt given the entire burden of paying for the unhealthy

phantom Colorado
01/18/13 2:49 pm

The government just needs to back off.

Lovil
01/18/13 5:30 am

My greater concern is not for those who have too much to eat, but for those who have nothing.

cmac2573
01/17/13 7:18 pm

How bout pack a lunch if you need a high protein or high calorie diet for extracurricular activities.

TideGal CFL
01/17/13 5:47 pm

Lol! Oh no, now that you have suggested this, the demos will introduce a bill. Everyone must be equal...now in weight too!

alps91 The Hills of Kentucky
01/17/13 4:34 am

It's not the govts job. Stay out of our business. People need to learn to be accountable for their own actions, and quit blaming somebody else for not warning them...
THE FOLLOWING WORDS MAY BE OFFENSIVE TO LEFTISTS;
PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY!

3acn
01/17/13 3:06 am

We should tax the skinny people who have an over abundance in skinniness. The money could be used to pay for liposuction for the poor fat people.

susanr Colorado
01/17/13 12:10 am

Because only poor people are fat?

RayX quit
01/16/13 8:17 pm

there should be a law that every new law introduced requires two to be eliminated. Same for Taxes. Add a Fat Tax, drop the death tax and Obamacare penalties. There's enough of us oversized folks to make up the difference.

vbranger Hillary for Prison
01/16/13 7:59 pm

I figured it out.... If the gov't stops all welfare and wic we can eliminate obesity. Obama should try this along with his other great ideas. He could do it because he does not have to worry about votes anymore.

TNMH23
01/16/13 7:30 pm

I'm a high school athlete. If I only ate school lunch I would not make it through practice. We need to be giving our kids healthy food choices, not starving them altogether.

briannabuckley
01/16/13 2:59 pm

It's psychologically effective. I understand that it is already in motion. I simply believe that we should be doing MORE of it. That being said, I disagree with communism on many levels, and I suggest that you don't jump to conclusions based on one little piece of someone's point of view.

cowboy Come on, man
01/16/13 12:57 pm

Yes! What a great idea! Another tax! This the new Communist America! FORWARD!

cowboy Come on, man
01/16/13 12:55 pm

You Communists are always for indoctrination. Like showing Al Gores fake movie to children. This tactic is not new.

briannabuckley
01/16/13 12:50 pm

Elementary schools really are key. Educating kids on nutrition at a young age goes a long way, especially for those whose parents are teaching them poor eating habits. Physical education class is equally as important, as is providing healthy school lunches.

briannabuckley
01/16/13 12:47 pm

Get rid of sugar tariffs. High fructose corn syrup is horrible. You order a Coke in another country and you're getting something a lot healthier- and with the natural sugar, it tastes better, too! Also, it wouldn't hurt to require schools to teach even more about nutrition then they already do.

camigirl
01/16/13 12:03 pm

The government is not our babysitter. Most of America complains the government is too involved in social issues like gay marriage, abortion, etc., and obesity should be put into this category too, but since people can't take care of themselves, they blame on government.

RayX quit
01/16/13 8:02 am

If I had to pay a tax i might loose a few pounds myself

NUwriter
01/16/13 6:14 am

Get rid of corn subsidies and sugar tariffs. These government policies distort the market, and lead to more high fructose corn syrup in our foods and beverages, and less natural sugar.

PAK the Armpit of Florida
01/16/13 3:27 am

I just don't want or need the government monkeying around in my personal life. It's already waaay too involved in my, in all of our, day to day existence.

jonDR
01/16/13 12:37 am

One way we wouldn't need to give money, is if the states added solar systems. A big idea I've is add it in Alaska cause sun is out for a long time at once. Then somehow spread it through the U. S.

Mrbill
01/15/13 11:04 pm

Then we should make it illegal to be obese....

Jmhf
01/15/13 10:04 pm

why do Democrats believe they can control what i eat?

tzdoesit pa
01/15/13 9:21 pm

obesity is by far #1 health problem in America - I believe in small government, BUT it is government job to help educate our people & in this regard government and society have failed - o, and i'd ignore most comments as 2/3 of u are overweight and 1/3 are obese

Mrbill
01/15/13 9:17 pm

Push yourself away from the table,
Push yourself away from the TV,
Push yourself away from the computer,
Take some personal responsibility!!!

RayX quit
01/15/13 9:12 pm

We need a fat tax.

Fat people cost us all money in healthcare. There are enough fat people that they could significantly reduce the deficit.