Show Of Hands January 13th, 2013 12:00am

Should the government being doing more to try reduce obesity among the American population?

Bolide
01/13/13 10:51 pm

When I say yes, I mean they should offer easier opportunities for people. Create a culture, promote healthy eating and make it more attractive for people instead of banning and regulating.

AnnieM The Island
01/13/13 10:51 pm

I love HEB, always have, especially their ability to make each individual store tailored to the neighborhood's needs, but there are major draw-backs to having only one grocery store brand in town, especially when your wants and needs differ greatly from those of the majority.

AnnieM The Island
01/13/13 10:49 pm

over-priced vitamins and little else. I guess next time I'm in that shopping center (which is nearly every weekend) I'll have to see if Sprouts changed the old Sun Harvest for the better. I was honestly just working on the assumption that it was a same-store-different-name kind of thing.

Lutang
01/13/13 10:49 pm

So you are in favor of keeping Roe v. Wade as is, and also repealing the Patriot Act, correct?

AnnieM The Island
01/13/13 10:48 pm

There are no community gardens, CSAs or co-ops that I've been able to find here. Even if there were I can't drive either. :(
We actually do have a Sprouts just around the corner now. They very recently bought out Sun Harvest. I loved Sun Harvest when I lived in San Antonio, but the one here was 90%…

Lutang
01/13/13 10:48 pm

Definitely not. Lol. I believe Pfizer makes them.

susanr Colorado
01/13/13 10:47 pm

ok cougar, no reason why you should be flamed for that suggestion! It's fabulous. (Plus, it's something the gov't is already promoting, at least Michelle Obama is.) I used to have my whole front yard dug up for raised beds of vegetables (cause that's where the sun was!) but I don't have a house now.

Lutang
01/13/13 10:46 pm

So you're NOT in favor of abortion laws or the Patriot Act, correct?

susanr Colorado
01/13/13 10:43 pm

...blocks from me that carries lots of organic produce (as well as conventional), numerous gluten-free foods, etc. In fact, there are 23 of their stores in Texas - maybe one near you? It's Sprouts Farmers Market.

susanr Colorado
01/13/13 10:42 pm

..Colorado sun in the AM but not the rest of the day. My first attempt at growing tomatoes wasn't too productive, but herbs & salad greens do great. Our big CSA just went bankrupt. I don't drive so a community garden plot is problematic. But I do have a very good natural grocery just a couple...

abbeylove Syracuse, NY
01/13/13 10:39 pm

No less government the better. The more freedoms they take away the closer we are to 1984.

CassieH 15235
01/13/13 10:38 pm

Go bad quickly or are overly expensive

susanr Colorado
01/13/13 10:37 pm

Is there any sort of community garden where you are, Annie, or a CSA (Community Supported Agriculture, where you buy a share & receive whatever the farm has produced on a weekly or so basis)? I'm in almost the same position as you with growing at home. I have a tiny sunken patio with great...

CassieH 15235
01/13/13 10:37 pm

No not really subway is just as bad as the rest when smothered in condiments seasonings and cheese which a common choice and when you have food stamps you only have a certain amount each month when feeding a family you must make them go as far as needed which doesn't always include things...

bunnyb
01/13/13 10:36 pm

Ok... but are the chocolate covered chill pills government issued?? ;)

SouthernG Man Cave
01/13/13 10:33 pm

Just make sure the food supply is safe and retest all those additive created in the last 40 years

susanr Colorado
01/13/13 10:33 pm

Thanks, BamaGirl. I gotta tell you, I think Dr. Oz is an absolutely awful reference for anything medical outside his own specialty, cardo thoracic surgery. I've seen too many idiotic diets & other stuff that he's promoted without a shred of scientific evidence. I don't know First, but I'll look.

ravensfreak95
01/13/13 10:32 pm

I'm pretty sure even the village idiot knows that Big Macs are less healthy than subway. And for not being able to afford it, we hand out so many food stamps and unemployment checks that you could live off the government eating healthy everyday. It's all about choices.

Marion Pleasantly Flexible
01/13/13 10:31 pm

Actually, smokers are in there too. Complete pariahs, and taxed more, to boot.

susanr Colorado
01/13/13 10:30 pm

Ray, I'm getting an indication that that web page has expired. I'll try it again tomorrow when the brain & fingers are more in sync, in case I mistyped, or try my own search. But thanks.

CassieH 15235
01/13/13 10:29 pm

No matter how healthy we make things as long as the illustrious ranch dressing ketchup Salt and not to forget hot sauce are smothering it the we have achieved nothing.

ravensfreak95
01/13/13 10:29 pm

Any question that asks for more government regulation is always NO! I can handle myself perfectly fine without the government telling me what to do.
P.S. I hated having to sneak into R rated movies and getting 21 yr olds to buy me alcohol. So dumb.

ravensfreak95
01/13/13 10:26 pm

Just like its the role of the government to regulate the rest of our lives. Any question that starts with "should the government be doing more" is always a NO. More freedom, less government.

praetorianus65
01/13/13 10:24 pm

They already do.
If you go to the movies, there are PG restrictions.
And my "favorite" is Bloomy and his soda restrictions.
You are also confronted with controlled substances - if you are caught with just a few prescription painkillers like oxycodone you go to jail. Walking in your Bday suit - same

BamaGirl ROLL TIDE from Arizona
01/13/13 10:23 pm

Susan, I agree they shouldn't be outlawed, just honestly labeled, so pele know what they are eating.

honored
01/13/13 10:22 pm

Many of you are building a straw man here. Of course it's not ok for the government to tell us what to eat, but it is ok for the government to educate us, and make laws that requires businesses to let us know what we are eating (nutritional facts).

CassieH 15235
01/13/13 10:21 pm

If you claim to know the pyramid so well why don't you know it's been changed to the myPlate iniative for the past 2 or so years (check out myPlate.gov)

jonny323
01/13/13 10:20 pm

We would have to hire much more lunch ladies and most likely increase pay. We would also need to install more expensive equipment. It would cost a lot more than what we pay now. We would save even more money on healthcare in the long run though. It would also create jobs.

BamaGirl ROLL TIDE from Arizona
01/13/13 10:19 pm

Praet, that's true, but morticians will tell you that they have to use less & less embalming fluid in America, because most people already have so many unnatural preservatives in their bodies.

BamaGirl ROLL TIDE from Arizona
01/13/13 10:16 pm

I agree on informing the consumer, but we need more than a calorie count, like honest ingredient lists.

BamaGirl ROLL TIDE from Arizona
01/13/13 10:14 pm

Susan, I posted somewhere on here about the HUGE difference that coming off wheat & GMO corn have had on us in about three months. It's been amazing!!! My elderly father's doctors have been amazed.

AnnieM The Island
01/13/13 10:14 pm

The only grocery chain here used to have more organic options (but being south TX has never had much in the way of non-meat, -dairy, or -grain foods), but being that this is a pretty low economic area the organic foods are rarely bought, so now they stock precious little.

AnnieM The Island
01/13/13 10:14 pm

The only other option here is a tiny, once-a-month "Farmer's market" where prices are 3-10x the costs for products that I have no verification of the source other than the booth owner's word.

ravensfreak95
01/13/13 10:12 pm

Easy answer to this one. Of course the government is not doing enough. They should regulate what we eat, watch on tv, drink, look at on the Internet. The government knows best after all. - (completely sarcastic for anyone thinking I am serious)

AnnieM The Island
01/13/13 10:12 pm

I live in a town home with no access to dirt I can grow things in aside from indoor house plants. I do what I can, but the lack of windows plus the climate here means the only thing that will grow indoors is a few herbs.

tjm120 TARDIS
01/13/13 10:11 pm

There is one group now who the gov could control what they eat because they (we) pay for the food And they're the ones they won't restrict from buying soda, chips, cake, chocolate covered bacon etc. I wonder why if they're so concerned about the obesity rate for low income Americans?

missright
01/13/13 10:10 pm

It's about informing the consumer. Require every place that serves food to put the calories on the menu. Some states have already adopted this, and I believe it would help people see that sometimes even a salad isn't always the better option.

CassieH 15235
01/13/13 10:10 pm

Our linchladies have to feed about 600 kids within an hour and a half the only way they could give us non freezer food is come earlier(pay raise) and pricier healthful food that can be cooked and left to sit out or reheated and what happens when 400 of us dont want that it all gets wasted

BamaGirl ROLL TIDE from Arizona
01/13/13 10:08 pm

NOT BMI, under BMI, Clinton Kelly from The Chew & What Not To Wear recently said he's considered obese & he's not even overweight to look at him.

Lutang
01/13/13 10:03 pm

These questions are funny because it gets the Republicans all dried up about "Freedom!!!" but it's silly because there is no way the gov can ever successfully control your eating or take your guns. everyone take a chocolate covered chill pill and relax. It's all going to be OK.

AnnieM The Island
01/13/13 10:02 pm

By "free healthcare" I assume you mean healthcare provided by or assisted by the government and denying the people that need and use those programs would be denying healthcare to those most at risk of obesity, of health problems in general, and in a place where they have the fewest…

meeksb11
01/13/13 10:01 pm

I feel like every time the government tries to fix a problem 10 more are created & the original problem is only amplified

cornybread The Large Malus Fruit
01/13/13 10:01 pm

that being said, we do need to be careful about what kids are being exposed to. while adults should be able to make healthy choices on their own, kids eat what they are given. making school lunches healthier and taking the junk food out of the vending machines would definitely be worthwhile.

medicjones
01/13/13 10:01 pm

You should see all the crap I have to fill out.

Lutang
01/13/13 10:01 pm

It's not the government's job to stop your lazy ass from ordering too many Big Macs. If you eat crap and get fat...your problem when you get diabetes and a host of other diseases.

AnnieM The Island
01/13/13 9:59 pm

healthy pregnant women would be considered at least "overweight" and maybe even "obese."
Are you going to deny healthcare to any of those people because they, say, suffer back pain that they are unable to attribute to a specific traumatic accident?

jonny323
01/13/13 9:59 pm

They need to make laws that don't monitor calories and nutritional facts, but ingredients. Give the children something that's actually good for them and not just less. Have the lunch ladies actually cook something natural instead of preparing freezer food.

meeksb11
01/13/13 9:59 pm

@praet
That's a good idea. It's just getting ridiculous these days

AnnieM The Island
01/13/13 9:58 pm

Plus, what scale would you use to determine who's "obese" and what health problems are "obesity-caused"? The most common tool used for determining obesity is the BMI scale which is outrageously flawed. Under it most muscular athletes, people with legitimately large frames or perfectly…