Show Of Hands January 13th, 2013 12:00am

Should the government being doing more to try reduce obesity among the American population?

thatguy81 here
01/13/13 9:19 pm

Susanr- I'll concede that not all "Libs" are bad simply because I am a very liberal person. So liberal that I think people should take responsibility for themselves. Our nation wasn't built with the intent to tell people how they can and can not eat.

RayX quit
01/13/13 9:17 pm

If wheat or other food goods are contributing then it is clearly their responsibility. The last thing we need is more of the same.

Pragmaniac Hipsterville
01/13/13 9:17 pm

Too much lobbying and too many apathetic parents.

Loadmaster Sacto
01/13/13 9:17 pm

No matter what the government could do, a lot of Americans will find a way to eat crap, eat it to excess, sit on the couch, and wonder why the heck they are fat.

susanr Colorado
01/13/13 9:17 pm

And anybody who thinks it's as simple as "too stupid to stop eating" doesn't know anything about obesity.

Pragmaniac Hipsterville
01/13/13 9:16 pm

It's my business when I subsidize your belt size. Isn't this the same argument you've been making? Too much government $$ going to support something dragging down the whole nation. We pay for fat people directly (insurance) and indirectly (lost productivity).

RayX quit
01/13/13 9:16 pm

Whats the FDA for?
Don't they have any responsibility?
What does it cost us now?
Is this an example of government efficiency?

roybiker12
01/13/13 9:14 pm

It is not a public health problem, it's a personal health problem.

Pragmaniac Hipsterville
01/13/13 9:12 pm

I'll bet you do.

susanr Colorado
01/13/13 9:11 pm

effy, salad dressings don't have to be unhealthful. The commercial ones often are, but I don't think they even taste very good. I make a couple of olive-oil-based dressings that have about 55 cal/Tbsp that are so full of flavor 1Tbsp is about all you need. All healthful stuff & delicious.

Pragmaniac Hipsterville
01/13/13 9:11 pm

Then we should fund education better so they can read the labels.

Pragmaniac Hipsterville
01/13/13 9:10 pm

Keep your stomach out of my way.

Gunfighter
01/13/13 9:09 pm

Stop providing free healthcare for obesity-caused problems

Pragmaniac Hipsterville
01/13/13 9:08 pm

Yes, I'm sure you know more than an army of biochemists and nutritionists. Why won't they listen??

Pragmaniac Hipsterville
01/13/13 9:07 pm

Your fat belly is costing ME money with increased insurance rates, lost work productivity, and all the extended ADA benefits.

Stop hurting America. Step away from the fork!

wears Tennessee
01/13/13 9:06 pm

Parents need to step up to the plate...the gov't should focus on drug trafficing and serious effective rehab before we lose an entire generation.

susanr Colorado
01/13/13 9:05 pm

readhp - also antioxidants, minerals and fiber. And they can help fill you up so you don't eat as much higher-calorie food.

yepnope Maryland
01/13/13 9:04 pm

I think the gov should help more but not by creating new laws but by maybe creating more incentives to helping educate our population and using forms of positive reinforcement for being healthy.

okcougar
01/13/13 9:04 pm

Peace. My spelling is particularly awful tonight.

dustbunny
01/13/13 9:04 pm

Why can't parents pack their kid's lunch?

susanr Colorado
01/13/13 9:01 pm

It's excessive calories, no matter where you get them. It wasn't as simple as low fat leading to more obesity. *Commercial* low-fat foods were made more appealing by piling on sugar and thickeners - which, yes, are carbs, but they increased the calories beyond that of the fatty food.

bigdog3210 Around
01/13/13 9:01 pm

That last sentence made my night lol

susanr Colorado
01/13/13 8:57 pm

No, army, the results do not warrant a generalization that "libs are horrible." I'd settle for something like "70% of the Democrats who've voted so far are horrible." I'm part of the other 30% and I don't like being told I'm *horrible.*

okcougar
01/13/13 8:57 pm

The government is partly responsible for the way we look with all of their subsidies. Let me eat my vegan food in piece and I won't judge how you eat.

commonsense America isnt racist
01/13/13 8:57 pm

I think the government can send out its little messages and ads, but more than that? No. It's not their business.

praetorianus65
01/13/13 8:57 pm

Since everybody must eat, anyone who wants to overeat will.
It's not controllable - if they cap the calories a burger has those people will just order two. If they allow only one per person they'll go to a different place after.

SugarShaq
01/13/13 8:56 pm

Correction: diabetes and obesity both went through the roof with the low fat diets pushed on us by the government

Fat does not cause obesity. Carbs do.

praetorianus65
01/13/13 8:53 pm

...although I admit I've seen more people fat enough to let your jaw drop in the US - it's still a tiny minority.
I see about 10 slim and trim joggers per waddling mount of meat.

susanr Colorado
01/13/13 8:53 pm

I don't think produce is all that expensive, unless you're buying exotic things. Even many fruits & vegetables that are out of season locally are priced reasonably. Junk food may be cheaper, but sometimes that's because ingredients are subsidized. That doesn't make produce actually expensive.

bruhman
01/13/13 8:52 pm

The government should stay out of people's personal lives and let people be responsible for themselves.

m1i9k9e4g
01/13/13 8:52 pm

Obesity is a public health problem. Clearly we are too stupid or careless to solve it on an individual level, so government intervention to prevent the country's life expectancy from dropping and health care insurance rates from rising is necessary.

praetorianus65
01/13/13 8:51 pm

What would interest me is where do they get the statistics on obesity from?
I've never had someone knock on my door or call me to ask my weight.
And doctors aren't allowed to release patient information.
Compared to other countries I've seen, we don't seem to have many more that are obese...

beanD California
01/13/13 8:50 pm

"Should the government be doing..."

Nah.

WildBillWins Oregon
01/13/13 8:49 pm

Govt mind their own business

comppete Las Vegas
01/13/13 8:48 pm

The ONLY thing the govm't should do is educate the "Low-Information" population about nutrition and exercise. Maybe putting circulars in their monthly welfare, disability and unemployment statement envelopes. Teaching single parents how to cook easy meals could benefit the children. Fast Food Kills.

brownskins786 Virginia
01/13/13 8:48 pm

Well, I'm not really sure that they CAN do more, besides put more money into schools' lunch programs, so that they can be actually HEALTHY (for example, fries are classified as a vegetable side right now in order to save money), or making sure that the FDA does 10x better than it does now.

dustbunny
01/13/13 8:47 pm

Why do people always expect everything from the government? How about you take your fat ass to the gym and start eating better? I'm overweight (slightly) because I like bread not because of anything the government has done or failed to do.

SugarShaq
01/13/13 8:45 pm

The government told us to stop eating fat and diabetes went through the roof. The ADA continues to tell diabetics to fill half their plates with carbs. As always the government is the problem.

BamaGirl ROLL TIDE from Arizona
01/13/13 8:44 pm

I agree, but the FDA is currently allowing food companies to lie to or mislead us with their labels, so I would like the FDA to end this practice.

dreamitliveit IDLH
01/13/13 8:43 pm

If it has a label, it's not very healthy!

dreamitliveit IDLH
01/13/13 8:42 pm

The federal government subsidizes crops, dairy, etc that contribute to weight gain. They're already involved, so they may as well do something useful.

BamaGirl ROLL TIDE from Arizona
01/13/13 8:41 pm

That should read my dad's dementia, not day's.

SugarShaq
01/13/13 8:41 pm

Keep the government out of my stomach.

dreamitliveit IDLH
01/13/13 8:40 pm

Obesity related costs are already astronomical, and only getting worse. It needs to be fixed...it would save us a lot of money.
I don't mean limiting the size of soft drinks--that's a tiny band-aid style solution. The stuff we eat is so processed, that it really shouldn't be called food.

roybiker12
01/13/13 8:40 pm

Note to Federal Government; Stay out of my life!

roybiker12
01/13/13 8:39 pm

Where is personal responsibility? If we can do nothing without the Federal government, we can do nothing.

meeksb11
01/13/13 8:37 pm

How is it their business? Unless its drugs alcohol or tobacco they should have no input. They don't care if you set fire to yourself from the inside out through tobacco but they can force us not to drink soda? These things just don't add up

BamaGirl ROLL TIDE from Arizona
01/13/13 8:35 pm

Regarding other benefits, my day's dementia is reversing & his heart is better, even his specialists agree. Both of us have less pain from our arthritis. My migraines & menstrual cramps have decreased in severity & duration.