Show Of Hands January 13th, 2013 12:00am

Should the government being doing more to try reduce obesity among the American population?

susanr Colorado
01/14/13 12:11 pm

I have no idea what designs Barack has on your body, but I think it's very fitting that Michelle Obama has taken up the promotion of more healthful eating & fitness as her cause while she's First Lady. It's traditionally a non-political issue that is good for most everybody. Like better education.

susanr Colorado
01/14/13 12:07 pm

The movie "Food, Inc." is also a bit of an eye opener.

01/14/13 12:06 pm

Sorry, what other foods would you like the government to restrict?

01/14/13 12:05 pm

And you guys like those ideas, right? What other foods would you like to restrict?

iBakes California
01/14/13 11:54 am

Thank you, Jonny. It's nice that at least one other person understands what's going on. Take note, Texas.

bb1884
01/14/13 11:51 am

Thanks armync! Please check out that book , Cowboy... I think you will be as shocked as I was!

jonny323
01/14/13 11:50 am

You seriously still believe we are talking about the government disallowing people to eat unhealthily?

jonny323
01/14/13 11:48 am

Selling fountain drinks in higher quantities.

bb1884
01/14/13 11:46 am

Thanks for the reference. While it is better than the pyramid the dairy and protein sections are way off. Dairy is just not good source of calcium for our bodies(check out GotTheFactsOnMilk.com) and there is no need for a high protein source from animals cause it causes our bodies more bad than good

jonny323
01/14/13 11:44 am

Since you clearly don't know exactly what Bloomberg suggested, his plan with salt was to disallow restaurants from putting salt in your food. The salt is given to the customer to salt to their individual tastes. His plan with soda is to ban fast food restaurants and convenience stores from...

thatguy81 here
01/14/13 11:43 am

Cowboy: corn subsidies lead to HFCS which is a leading factor in our obesity problems. It is also a leading factor in soil erosion, colony collapse disorder and has to be heavily fertilized when grown in large acreage because the souls can't keep it up year after year. Hence GMOs and chemicals.

01/14/13 11:42 am

This is the very definition of big government. Its none of their damn business what anyone eats.

barbearnj Dreaming of Banff
01/14/13 11:41 am

People should be responsible for their own bodies. The government F's everything up anyway.

01/14/13 11:36 am

Funny. I feel the same way ibakes.

01/14/13 11:34 am

Wow you guys are really out of touch.

jonny323
01/14/13 11:34 am

It doesn't have to be about force or big government. Stop taking everything to the extreme. All we want is to make it easier for people to make informed decisions about what goes into their body, and to insure the poor can still afford real food.

iBakes California
01/14/13 11:31 am

He did not BAN soda or salt. If you're going to half-ass an argument, at least try to portray the situation using correct terms. Bloomberg also isn't a liberal nor does he speak for all liberals. I feel like I'm talking to a child here. How old are you?

01/14/13 11:31 am

No corn is evil. Where does this nonsense stop?

jonny323
01/14/13 11:30 am

Cowboy, explain Bloomberg's bans on soda and salt.

01/14/13 11:28 am

But nobody is restricting our food intake right? Yeah ok...

bb1884
01/14/13 11:28 am

First try should stop subsidizing the corn crop and then tell people the truth about how corn is ravaging our economy, diets, health and even our environment... That's right. Corn. If you don't understand then check out The Omnivores Dilemma by Pollan

gtgconfused
01/14/13 11:27 am

I plant a garden every year, eat from it almost daily and can or freeze enough to last most of the winter. I also go to local farms for food I don't have enough room for.

01/14/13 11:27 am

I guess being Liberal means you have to ignore what is actually happening. Everybody was making fun of Bloomberg and his salt and soda ban. But pay no attention.

RogueMom In a Hand Basket
01/14/13 11:21 am

Yes, when they can balance the budget and get us out of debt succesfully maybe then we can discuss my scale and my weight. Until then they should look at only one scale at a time (and mine isn't it)

RogueMom In a Hand Basket
01/14/13 11:20 am

We shop at the local farmers markets and grow our own food. <3 supporting our local farmers. Good point, Army

iBakes California
01/14/13 11:20 am

The fact you want to pollute the air, eat garbage & buy something created to kill just out of spite is unbelievably pathetic. Shows what kind of person you are, I guess! Sad.

RogueMom In a Hand Basket
01/14/13 11:20 am

The government wants to control what goes in your mouth as well as what comes out.

I'll put down my Big Mac & Big Gulp if everyone will forget Big Government

01/14/13 11:18 am

Or maybe the government will start putting monitors in their homes via 1984 and if they don't comply then they will be punished.

TomLaney1 Jesus is Lord
01/14/13 11:18 am

Thanks for your concern, Barack and Michelle, but my weight is none of your business. Want to reduce something? How about taxes (on everyone!), federal spending, federal overregulation, and maybe the mammoth obesity of your bloated federal government?

jonny323
01/14/13 11:16 am

The government shouldn't be involved in healthcare? That's ridiculous. Do you realize how big of a market failure healthcare is?

01/14/13 11:15 am

Wait! What dreamit? I thought you guys gave up pretending the government IPAB doesn't exist? Obama even defended the death panels in one of his debates with Romney. Come on now.

FemmeAdamWest in the Tardis library
01/14/13 11:11 am

So only poor people with government assistance are fat?
Let's see some supporting research?

thatguy81 here
01/14/13 11:10 am

For all your urbanites, do you grow your own food and support urban farming initiatives? Or do you just hope the food will keep coming to the grocery store not caring whats in it or where it comes from?

01/14/13 11:10 am

Who is going to force obese people to become healthier? Will a government agent be there slapping food out of their mouths and make them do jumping jacks?

FemmeAdamWest in the Tardis library
01/14/13 11:10 am

Whose to say you're the one paying their insurance? Thats such an ignorant republican statement. The money you pay in taxes goes so many places and sorry but you don't get to pick and choose.

thatguy81 here
01/14/13 11:08 am

Good thing come to those who help themselves. Thought I saw that somewhere once...

gunluvr NOT a Gun Free Zone
01/14/13 11:08 am

No, its because I have the FREEDOM to do it, and the concept of freedom drives liberals like you crazy....

FemmeAdamWest in the Tardis library
01/14/13 11:07 am

If soda and salt are so restricted how come I can go to a Costco right now and have enough of both to last me multiple years? Oh the restrictions!

cato Santa Barbara, California
01/14/13 11:03 am

Nope the government shouldn't be in the healthcare business either.

iBakes California
01/14/13 11:00 am

Restrictions and banning aren't the same thing. Do I need to walk you through the steps of this, too? & liberals didn't "do" the restricting, either. Your paranoia must be a hard thing to deal with, I almost feel bad for you.

FemmeAdamWest in the Tardis library
01/14/13 10:59 am

Really? There's parents everywhere abandoning their children to shoot up meth and heroin but obesity is the number one problem?
What world do you live in?

jonny323
01/14/13 10:58 am

Do you understand how soda and salt have been restricted?

dreamitliveit IDLH
01/14/13 10:57 am

Cowboy, we all know that doesn't even exist.

Buddy117
01/14/13 10:57 am

Ohhhh!! You just got told!!

dreamitliveit IDLH
01/14/13 10:55 am

Oh, and I'm not a 12 year old girl--I'm a 30 year old with the BP of a 12 year old :)

dreamitliveit IDLH
01/14/13 10:54 am

I'm completely healthy. My BMI is 21, my blood pressure is average for a 12 year old girl (100/60mmHg), I eat right, and I exercise. I don't want to keep paying for obese people who make themselves sick. I'd rather pay less money to help them get healthier so they don't end up with diabetes, MI etc

01/14/13 10:53 am

Ok so ignore the fact that Liberals have restricted salt and soda in America and call me ignorant. I guess real world examples are good enough for you.