Show Of Hands January 13th, 2013 12:00am

Should the government being doing more to try reduce obesity among the American population?

gunluvr NOT a Gun Free Zone
01/14/13 10:52 am

Ibakes , it's you that can't grasp the concept of FREEDOM...it's MY body, MY health, and none of your business telling me what to do with it...i would think you could grasp it since liberals use this same argument in regards to abortion...I'm just pointing out your double standards...

dreamitliveit IDLH
01/14/13 10:51 am

Cuz it's so awesome to be unhealthy and burden the rest of society...?

dreamitliveit IDLH
01/14/13 10:50 am

Doesn't get much more expensive than taking care of millions of obese people. Helping them get healthier would be a huge savings.

iBakes California
01/14/13 10:35 am

I can go buy both salt and soda, the government banned neither. You've sufficiently failed to back up your argument multiple times now. Just accept it and move on. Better luck next time. Come prepared with empirical evidence, you won't sound so ignorant.

aria25
01/14/13 10:33 am

Ahh the liberals come up with another way to spend the money we don't have. Congrats! ????????????

USA1st
01/14/13 10:28 am

what U.S. do you live in??

cowboy Dawns Highway
01/14/13 10:25 am

ibakes In your original post you stated that Americans can't do it on their own so government is the next step. The government bans the choice of salt and soda but no one is trying to control our food intake? Your mental illness is showing again.

Victrino New Jersey
01/14/13 9:56 am

I think that our food is the biggest problem in the U.S. today.

producto
01/14/13 9:54 am

Government could help by providing incentives, by way of policy and/or subsidy, to increase the supply of fresh produce to urban and metro areas where prices are high and access is very limited. Additionally, encouraging small business development to increase the number of fresh produce retailers.

iBakes California
01/14/13 9:52 am

That's because the dangerous drugs are already illegal. That's about as restrictive as you can get. Is that seriously your argument for doing nothing about obesity? "Drugs are bad."? Oh, lord. No wonder your state is notorious for lack of education.

gunluvr NOT a Gun Free Zone
01/14/13 9:50 am

Let's all have a cheeseburger for lunch today !

dogsaver new Jersey
01/14/13 9:46 am

Outlaw poisons that are being fed to us like high fructose corn syrup, nutra sweet and the like!

gunluvr NOT a Gun Free Zone
01/14/13 9:42 am

Drug use affects society too, but I don't see liberals screaming for stricter drug laws...

iBakes California
01/14/13 9:42 am

Nobody is trying to control your food intake cowboy. Stop being so paranoid, take a step back & look at the bigger picture.

vbranger Hillary for Prison
01/14/13 9:42 am

Does the gov't have to do everything for you. The people that voted yes, you are telling me YOU as an individual are very incompetent to make your own decisions, gov't making decisions for you are the same as parenting. As an adult do you need to be controlled. It amazes me people logic of thinking.

jonny323
01/14/13 9:41 am

And like I said no one is saying you can't salt your own food. Actually they are saying you are the only one that can salt your food. That gives you more control of your own health and consumption.

iBakes California
01/14/13 9:40 am

Not when it is a societal epidemic. If it was personal & had no affect on others, certainly. But that isn't the case with obesity.

jonny323
01/14/13 9:39 am

Hey cowboy, have you ever noticed that every single one of you comments gets at least one like, and the first like always comes very fast. It's almost like there is someone out there that knows every time you comment and always likes everything you say. Who could that be?

gunluvr NOT a Gun Free Zone
01/14/13 9:36 am

I think I'll drive my gas guzzling SUV to go get a cheeseburger for lunch today...on my way to the gun store...it's 100 percent legal, and drives liberals crazy....LOL

cowboy Dawns Highway
01/14/13 9:31 am

I'm pro-choice when it comes to seasoning my own food. KEEP THE GOVERNMENT OUT OF MY PLATE!!!

cowboy Dawns Highway
01/14/13 9:26 am

I'm sure that sounds great to a diseased mind Jonny

gunluvr NOT a Gun Free Zone
01/14/13 9:24 am

Yup I sure do grasp it...and MY health is MY business ... Surely you can grasp that ?

jonny323
01/14/13 9:24 am

Communism still doesn't just mean things you don't like. Forcing restaurant's customers to salt their own food isn't a ban. Not allowing soda to be sold in large quantities in certain places isn't a big deal, though I don't see it being too effective.

cowboy Dawns Highway
01/14/13 9:23 am

Bloomberg isn't a Liberal? Wow. There is some real disconnect going on here. What ever helps you sleep at night.

gonzoboy Arizona
01/14/13 9:22 am

You might find it severely ironic @cowboy, that the majority of the chopsticks in China are actually made in a little town here in the U.S., Americus, Georgia! We actually export more than we import! I get your point, though.... :)

iBakes California
01/14/13 9:21 am

There's no scan, you're just ignorant and sadly paranoid. The thing about live & let live is you have to be healthy to live. Surely you can grasp at least that concept, right?

magnum
01/14/13 9:21 am

It's a conservative estimate. So, I said minimum. Just google it. I'm sure you'll get much higher numbers than that from most places.

cowboy Dawns Highway
01/14/13 9:21 am

Of course we needed change. We needed the government IPAB panel to kill off sick people.

iBakes California
01/14/13 9:17 am

I probably should have said "anti-women's right" not "government control" but you get the picture. Hopefully, assuming you have the critical thinking skills.

susanr Colorado
01/14/13 9:16 am

The great majority of cancers are not due to obesity or any other food choices. Even many heart problems have nothing to do with diet.

iBakes California
01/14/13 9:16 am

It seems as though cowboy isn't even aware of what communism is, interesting. If I were you I wouldn't talk about "liberal speak" as a member of the "disguise bigotry as 'family preserving'" & "disguise government control as 'saving babies from being murdered'" party.

gunluvr NOT a Gun Free Zone
01/14/13 9:15 am

And Ibakes, what ever happened to live and let live ? I don't think it's government's business to be into any if these things....

gtgconfused
01/14/13 9:14 am

I come from a family of obesity. They spent a fortune with their diets, doctors, etc. and then they'd binge eat and gain all the weight back. I'm 20 lbs under weight, never dieted, only improved my eating habits. I think some ppl are just happier and some have medical problems.

DrReid Ever present.
01/14/13 9:13 am

Bloomberg is not a liberal...

KudosToYou California
01/14/13 9:12 am

In an education only fashion if they did anything...

cowboy Dawns Highway
01/14/13 9:12 am

Oh I see. Just call it "restrictions". I love Liberal speak. Communism sounds so good until people are forced to obey.

jcarlson 55443
01/14/13 9:11 am

I love how people are so quick to just blame fast food.
-33% of us adults claim no physical activity -livestrong.com
-Applebee's steak fajita- 1,360 cal
-27% of us adults get the recommended amount of vegetable servings-CDC.gov
It's overall terrible lifestyle choices, not one cause.

DrReid Ever present.
01/14/13 9:11 am

We have the most inefficient healthcare system in the civilized we clearly needed to change.

qwe FEED THE BABY
01/14/13 9:10 am

Ever heard of a open mind and try and take the good things in there system and apply them here.

gunluvr NOT a Gun Free Zone
01/14/13 9:10 am

I'm all for the government staying out of our business , and yes I know how the planned parenthood scam works...you do too , but won't admit it...if government didn't give them money, the money they use for abortions would have to fund the womens services ... It's just a trick to bypass the law

jonny323
01/14/13 9:08 am

Healthcare isn't control, it's aid. Did democrats actually outright ban salt and soda, or did they set restrictions on them? I regularly have both salt and soda and haven't had any problems purchasing either. But I'm the one that doesn't live in the real world...

cowboy Dawns Highway
01/14/13 9:05 am

How about we just ban silver ware and use government mandated chop sticks?

iBakes California
01/14/13 9:05 am

So does alcohol but that's legal. What happened to limited government, hmmmm? Only applies except in marriage, abortion & substances? Some "conservative" you are. Also I never once said the government should tell anyone what to eat.

iBakes California
01/14/13 9:03 am

Education goal for you for the day: look into what planned parenthood actually does & the way both government & private money is used. Maybe after you've done some research you won't continue to embarrass yourself. I'm even a little embarrassed for you right now.

gunluvr NOT a Gun Free Zone
01/14/13 9:02 am

Ibakes, marijuana has been shown to have detrimental long term affects on the body, but from what I have seen, Liberals are not trying to get the government to stop that...it's just the opposite....why do you choose to try and tell us what we can eat ?

cowboy Dawns Highway
01/14/13 9:00 am

So Liberals didn't ban salt and soda? Or come up with government healthcare? Try living in the real world for once.

surffrog34
01/14/13 8:57 am

Can't do it on their own, or too lazy to?

cowboy Dawns Highway
01/14/13 8:56 am

So lets be just like every other Country. That sounds awesome!

Doopy Remedial Americanism
01/14/13 8:53 am

Oh brother, you're one of the GMO crowd?

Look, your freedom is more important than your BMI. Let the free market do it's thing. No subsidies. No tax breaks.

In America, fat is a choice.

gunluvr NOT a Gun Free Zone
01/14/13 8:53 am

Every tax dollar that goes to planned parenthood for "women's services" offsets the cost of abortions they perform...its a technicality that they have exploited for years that the state of Texas is shutting down..I know you can't be that stupid