Show Of Hands January 13th, 2013 12:00am

Should the government being doing more to try reduce obesity among the American population?

malibog 12309
01/13/13 6:45 pm

So no self control and no personal responsibility, no worries!

BamaGirl ROLL TIDE from Arizona
01/13/13 6:45 pm

Actually, a recent study showed that overweight people tend to live longer.

andrewv SC
01/13/13 6:44 pm

Dbalent, you should research our healthcare system before making comments about it...

CSGraham
01/13/13 6:43 pm

Restaurants should have to provide nutritional info on all items. No matter the size of the chain. If I can figure it out at home when I cook, they should be able to figure it out too.

thehopedivision Atlanta
01/13/13 6:43 pm

They want us fat, and they're doing a damn good job at it.

magnum
01/13/13 6:42 pm

Usually I'm all for personal freedoms but, people clearly cannot control themselves.

camlop San Diego, CA
01/13/13 6:41 pm

I don't support tons of government control; that doesn't get anyone anywhere. but although it would be nice for obesity rates to descend, I don't think the government should take on that issue.

hippiechick North Carolina
01/13/13 6:40 pm

You and everyone else that posts these comments are so closed minded. Just because someone votes for more government involvement doesn't always mean someone wants to be taken care of or not take responsibility for their actions. Maybe it is just best fir the country. That is so ignorant.

praetorianus65
01/13/13 6:40 pm

Basically people are well educated when it comes to what food is healthy and even fast food companies have started to cater to health aware people - salads, apple slices, yoghurt, low calorie options.
So what else can the government do except an outright ban on certain foods? No more fudge for you?

BamaGirl ROLL TIDE from Arizona
01/13/13 6:39 pm

I think the government should provide more information & easy to read labels. Remove words like "natural flavors" & make them list actual ingredients. It would be good if they couldn't label items as trans fat free when they actually contain some. Also, I would like to see GMO labeling.

arste New York
01/13/13 6:39 pm

What if we tried keeping the government not involved? Funny how people really didn't get fat until government involvement in these issues in the 1970s.

dbalent
01/13/13 6:38 pm

I would consider supporting Government diet oversight for everyone on Obamacare. It only seems "fair" that I am going to pay for their gov healthcare there should be some gov oversight on them. And it should be as burdensome as the taxes are on me.

andrewv SC
01/13/13 6:36 pm

I voted no, but I don't think that's quite what yes voters intended...

sheriboo
01/13/13 6:36 pm

Jeezus, people will eat what they want to eat. The problem is now that government is involved in healthcare we will be seeing a lot more of them wanting to get involved. Butt out!

hippiechick North Carolina
01/13/13 6:32 pm

Yes but also the first does contribute to obesity. Yes, a person should be able to eat how much they want. Nowhere in the question does it say "should the government outlaw desserts/large portioned meals?" That would be outrageous. But SOMETHING needs to be done.

susanr Colorado
01/13/13 6:31 pm

That wouldn't really solve the overall problem. It's not just people on food stamps who are overweight.

praetorianus65
01/13/13 6:31 pm

We'd get speakeasy type underground cafes and a mafia making a living on selling pastries.

BamaGirl ROLL TIDE from Arizona
01/13/13 6:31 pm

Because everyone would be honest about that, right?

MarciS Formerly mjs83
01/13/13 6:31 pm

Yes in that they should require more transparency in the food & drug industries. I do not think the government should tell us what we can and cannot eat. But they should work to lower the cost of healthier food. You shouldn't have to break the bank in the produce department.

rich1010 Stem Cell Harvesting
01/13/13 6:29 pm

That's ok as long as when they get so large or sick that they can't work they don't then ask for public assistance.

fotoguy Florida
01/13/13 6:29 pm

Yes, Dems, let's let the nanny gov't take charge of fat people, put them on diets, make them exercise, and monitor they're every bite of food. That way the fat people won't have to be responsible for themselves. Great idea, eh democrats? You people are unbelievable.

susanr Colorado
01/13/13 6:28 pm

Oops, I plied to what I *thought* you said. I don't know why.

PuppyLvr In love with Listgarten
01/13/13 6:27 pm

I live life to the fullest. Quality not quantity of years. This means having the occasional sweet, or even a daily sweet. However, since its MY life, I manage my sweets so I am not obese and have a better quality of life. If the government took sweets away I'd be pissed.

ThinkAboutIt Staten Island, NY
01/13/13 6:26 pm

Oh yea, screw u mayor Bloomberg!!

ThinkAboutIt Staten Island, NY
01/13/13 6:26 pm

Not my body, not my problem. That's what I say.

buddytime404
01/13/13 6:26 pm

One of the filters should be weight of user

hippiechick North Carolina
01/13/13 6:24 pm

Yes you are right. But why are food companies allowed to put trash in our food? I really don't see why anyone would be against this. It's not like the government is going to force you to only eat vegetables for your 3 meals a day.

BugAyedBradshaw
01/13/13 6:24 pm

More govt = more problems. Personal health is a personal responsibility.

dabomb
01/13/13 6:22 pm

True but it wouldn't sound right if I said usage mistake

PuppyLvr In love with Listgarten
01/13/13 6:22 pm

Pollution and traffic affect others. Obesity only affects yourself.

TopsQueen Oregon Coast
01/13/13 6:21 pm

Take junk food off food stamps. I've seen people get an entire cart of soda on stamps. So fat they had to lean on the cart. People are entitled to eat what they want. But the taxpayers don't have to pay for it.

jonny323
01/13/13 6:21 pm

No one said how the government would go about the goal. I doubt anyone is suggesting outlawing junk food.

praetorianus65
01/13/13 6:21 pm

There's a great difference between allowing toxins in the food and restricting its caloric content.
The former is for everybody's safety, the latter depends on the person and should be that person's decision.

anonYmous21 Somewhere
01/13/13 6:20 pm

It would be good for the government to provide more information and education about obesity in attempts to prevent it. But the gov't should NOT create laws, restrict food sales, etc. Citizens need to make those decisions on their own.

TheAntiLib Putnam County, NY
01/13/13 6:19 pm

The government has no business in anybody's personal business. Oh wait, obese people that perish = less taxpayers and less voters for the libs. Now it all makes sense to me...

Melon No Ducklips
01/13/13 6:19 pm

Another thing the government has no business sticking their nose into.

jonny323
01/13/13 6:19 pm

Yes, it would greatly reduce healthcare expenses.

izak81 Indiana
01/13/13 6:18 pm

Just because you are served a larger portion doesn't mean you have to eat it all. Also do some research on what's in your food. I do it every time I but food and it only takes an extra 30 seconds. Eating terrible foods and a large quantity has no one to blame but the user themselves.

sccr28jb No No No
01/13/13 6:18 pm

Fat tax anyone?

dawl adulting
01/13/13 6:18 pm

I am concerned about GMO's and what is available to kids at public schools. Other than that most adults these days should be able to choose for themselves what they put in their bodies.

meaning Red Stick
01/13/13 6:18 pm

#'merica????????

lylypiano Kitten Love
01/13/13 6:18 pm

If it's for our good or for our family's good then let them. We've proven we can't make the best choices so something should intervene

dabrat East Coast
01/13/13 6:18 pm

I don't know that the government can do anything. But there does need to be a national consciousness regarding good health in general.

RepMorris Pennsylvania
01/13/13 6:17 pm

So people get obese on their own, through their own fault, through their own decisions, and it's the government's responsibility to fix what is their fault? Democrat logic. Lol, but, No! The government is way too involved already!
-Conservative Republican

eliroque miami
01/13/13 6:17 pm

No, you are obese if you eat too much and don't control yourself, but there are people who know how to control them selves

hippiechick North Carolina
01/13/13 6:15 pm

These comments are telling. The government needs to regulate what can and can't be put in food. Poison should not be allowed to be sold as nourishment. And all these comments tell me that we do need the government to do something, because most people aren't educated enough in the matter.

praetorianus65
01/13/13 6:15 pm

Some government already tells me what size soda I may order.
If the government starts telling me what and how much to eat, I move to Tonga.