Show Of Hands January 13th, 2013 12:00am

Should the government being doing more to try reduce obesity among the American population?

MarciS Formerly mjs83
01/13/13 7:17 pm

Many of the so called "healthy" fast food options have an astonishing amount of fat and calories. There are some good ones but both in fast food and the grocery store shelves things are passed off as healthy that are far from real health food. Look up Wendy's salads for example.

thatguy81 here
01/13/13 7:16 pm

Have to say, it is the typical democrat response to say "yes please government, I don't want to take responsibility for myself and my family, please pass more laws to protect us from ourselves!"

susanr Colorado
01/13/13 7:16 pm

...(specialty) white pasta or high-fat premium ice cream or other stuff like that, I'd feel I was being unnecessarily controlled.

MrMilkdud
01/13/13 7:16 pm

What's your first language? Just asking because your syntax was a little unusual.

happylife
01/13/13 7:15 pm

If people are too stupid to stop eating-- let them perish. Survival of the fittest rules!

MrMilkdud
01/13/13 7:14 pm

Obamacare. If they control your medical care, they will try to control your body.

susanr Colorado
01/13/13 7:13 pm

hippiechick, aside from clear cut toxins & carcinogens, we're never going to agree on what should or shouldn't be in our food. I don't know what substance you're talking about; maybe you could give some examples. I eat relatively few processed foods myself, but if I couldn't get the occasional...

CSGraham
01/13/13 7:13 pm

The question is should the govt. be trying to reduce obesity. Yes! Yes! Yes! Everyone should be trying. Including the individual, including schools, including churches. We all should be trying.

gunluvr NOT a Gun Free Zone
01/13/13 7:13 pm

Anytime the government gets involved in anything, they mess it up...so they need to stay out of our personal lives...each person needs to decide what is best for them...it's NOT a decision some bureaucrat in Washington has any business making...

MrMilkdud
01/13/13 7:13 pm

This will be an issue under Obamacare.
If the government pays for your healthcare, and your weight increases that cost, the govt will seek to lower its costs by either requiring you to lose weight or not covering you for obesity related illnesses just like they will with smokers.

spiritalive Wisconsin
01/13/13 7:13 pm

why are so many people obsessed with letting the government be in control of every aspect of life. have we become such a needy people that we need big brother to intervene

starry7
01/13/13 7:12 pm

Milk, excuse me I am 2nd language.

Zod Above Pugetropolis
01/13/13 7:12 pm

Why would they do that? Are we running out of food? Do I need to stock up before we run out of Oreos, chocolate, or cherry pie?

And seriously, under what pretense would the government be concerned with what I eat, or don't, or if I stockpile energy for later or emergency use? Butt-out Big Bro.

starry7
01/13/13 7:10 pm

Hippie, this is right. My first thought it sounded like a discrimination. I would understand the obesities are not their fault. The gov't should control the food store and fast food not to the obesities.

MrMilkdud
01/13/13 7:10 pm

Obesity is not a race or a special interest group.

Is English your second language? I had a really hard time deciphering what you were trying to say.

susanr Colorado
01/13/13 7:09 pm

What are some of them, BamaGirl?

jacmcmaho
01/13/13 7:09 pm

Obesity is a bad thing don't get me wrong but it's not the governments place to try and control it

susanr Colorado
01/13/13 7:08 pm

I disagree, effy. I don't think the government should be that kind of nanny for people who have government assistance any more than they should be for everyone else. If they need help to survive, give it to them, but don't micromanage what they do with it.

malibog 12309
01/13/13 7:07 pm

What is the source for the 33 billion . . . minimum?

praetorianus65
01/13/13 7:04 pm

Something doesn't have to be bad just because it's synthetic no more than it has to be good just because it's natural.
A destroying angel mushroom is natural and deadly.
You can synthesize vitamins - as long as the chemical formula is the same, it makes no difference.

hippiechick North Carolina
01/13/13 7:04 pm

That is the dumbest comment I have ever read. Being obese is that person's fault completely except in very rare cases. You can lose weight.

dbalent
01/13/13 7:02 pm

Under Obama I cannot choose to pay more in my electric bill and use incandescent bulbs. My money, my house, their decision.

starry7
01/13/13 7:02 pm

Is the government meaning to reject the obesity out this country? If so, why do the gov't not reject the race and disability, too? If no, it can't kick the obesity out. Does this make any sense?

praetorianus65
01/13/13 7:01 pm

How about the government force - feeding anyone underweight or anorexic?

TopsQueen Oregon Coast
01/13/13 6:59 pm

I know that, but it would be a step in the right direction. I think things like shampoo should be added. Basic healthy food and necessities. We should help with.

swjboucher Just Run
01/13/13 6:59 pm

Love it. Never happen. We are screwed.

Panterek Bangkok has me now
01/13/13 6:58 pm

It does bother me because we are all paying the price in health care premiums to un-fat all these lard loving Americans.

Panterek Bangkok has me now
01/13/13 6:56 pm

Except I pay ridiculous premiums in health care because of all you fat ppl

bjc1991
01/13/13 6:56 pm

Yes start by ban a majority of all these over processed and synthetic foods. And quit siding with the monsantos. By the way if you aren't familiar with the monsantos look it up very disturbing!!

Wes28 CBus
01/13/13 6:55 pm

Well I was thinking no...but now with ObamaCare I guess it would make sense to keep America healthy. Obama and his policies are going to further ruin this country and send us into revolution soon enough.

effy
01/13/13 6:55 pm

It wouldn't solve the overall problem but it would be a start. Taxpayers shouldn't foot the bill for people to become obese, their children obese, develop diabetes etc. then also have sever medical issues that taxpayers once again foot the bill for.

zyga
01/13/13 6:54 pm

Sounds like more should be done about the education system.

thatguy81 here
01/13/13 6:54 pm

How about the government stays the hell out of my house!

FallenRegime Unknown
01/13/13 6:54 pm

That's what's wrong with this country. The government is taking away the individual responsibility of the citizen in place of expensive regulations to protect and regulate for the "better" of the whol

Bougey Minnesota
01/13/13 6:53 pm

How about the goverment does LESS in our lives, and only does more to reduce the deficit and to protect our freedoms.

izak81 Indiana
01/13/13 6:53 pm

True. Food companies definitely need to change their ingredients and be held responsible for poisoning us just to save money.

effy
01/13/13 6:52 pm

I voted no & I'm a democrat. You really shouldn't generalize so harshly.

effy
01/13/13 6:51 pm

I agree with you 100% Companies shouldn't be allowed to put "all-natural" on their labels when 49% of the product is chemicals. & it should definitely be labeled when it's genetically modified.

JamesMadison La Palma
01/13/13 6:51 pm

What about when there is too many fat people for us to draft a large enough military in a hypothetical WW3

magnum
01/13/13 6:50 pm

@mali... I said usually I'm all for personal liberty and allowing people to do what they want but, good lord. Americans are huge cows and they can't control themselves to fix the problem. Obesity related illness costs the American taxpayer 33 billion dollars a year... Minimum.

susanr Colorado
01/13/13 6:50 pm

Or *replied,* even. Good grief. Must be time for some brain nourishment.

BadUsername
01/13/13 6:50 pm

You have to let people choose what kind of life they want for themselves, whether that be a healthy happy one...or a short fat one

ddoub03
01/13/13 6:50 pm

So if you say the government shouldn't allow these things, why did you vote no?

effy
01/13/13 6:49 pm

I voted no. People need to have personal responsibility & I shouldn't have my civil liberties interfered w/ b/c of others inability to be adults & good parents. However the gov. should not allow all these poisons & toxins & carcinogens they are putting in our food. That's my real concern.

Isomax TIC TOC
01/13/13 6:49 pm

That is the scariest remark I have ever seen.

robolds Initiative
01/13/13 6:47 pm

If people want to eat too much, it is their choice. Who is the government to regulate a persons lifestyle? As long as it does not bother others in a public place, like smoking, I say let people make their own choices.

BamaGirl ROLL TIDE from Arizona
01/13/13 6:47 pm

I'm all for personal responsibility, but there are A LOT of loopholes in packaging laws that I would like to see eliminated.