Show Of Hands January 13th, 2013 12:00am

Should the government being doing more to try reduce obesity among the American population?

BriD Illinois
01/13/13 8:33 pm

Okie = sad

BamaGirl ROLL TIDE from Arizona
01/13/13 8:32 pm

We are also doing only non-GMO corn.

BamaGirl ROLL TIDE from Arizona
01/13/13 8:31 pm

FastFusion - About three months ago, we removed wheat from our diet for that reason & the other negative health effects of genetically modified wheat. I have already gone down two pants sizes & we are not dieting. I made Christmas cookies & desserts. All of our normal holiday foods, but w/o wheat.

dreamitliveit IDLH
01/13/13 8:31 pm

You are already paying a lot of money for people who don't eat right and exercise! I'd much rather pay to prevent obesity and/or get people healthy instead of paying for all of their diseases later. It's better and cheaper for everyone that way!

gjb2779
01/13/13 8:30 pm

We should do everything we can to help inform citizens of healthy choices & if possible make healthier food more affordable for all. HOWEVER we should not be making laws restricting people's choices like that awful NY soda law, if people want to be unhealthy, that's their choice not the govts

EarlyBird Portland
01/13/13 8:29 pm

Yes, tmi ????

CTYankee!!! Connecticut
01/13/13 8:29 pm

What the government can do is enforce better truth on labeling and packaging. Often, when we think we are being healthy, we are not.

EarlyBird Portland
01/13/13 8:26 pm

I'm so with you Bama.
I think the people who constantly pick out those errors like to feel superior to Tony. Very petty.

thatguy81 here
01/13/13 8:25 pm

I think you'd be surprised who owns a smart phone these days Johnny. My 69 year old mother as well as my 12 year old brother in law have smart phones.

cass95 Jesus 2021
01/13/13 8:25 pm

More often than not, obesity is a choice. I'm capable of choosing between packing a salad for lunch or having a Big Mac. Really don't need Camp Crazy to tell me which is the better choice and what I can and can't eat.

FastFusion nj
01/13/13 8:23 pm

Life Extension Foundation published data that our obesity problems come from our modified wheat. LEF.Org

BriD Illinois
01/13/13 8:21 pm

Like they do for other diseases ? Of course....! Why not?

jonny323
01/13/13 8:20 pm

It's a large sample but it isn't varied, whenever you have a group with something in common, such as owning a smart phone, your results will be skewed.

Doopy Remedial Americanism
01/13/13 8:19 pm

Power is kinetic. If you're not using it, you don't really have it. Thus, the people have more power when the government is not exercising all the authority it has.

drewo
01/13/13 8:18 pm

Government subsidizes all the crap food in this country. I'd argue government is the cause of Americans poor diet/obesity

bunnyb
01/13/13 8:18 pm

I don't think most Americans know what happens to our "food". Yes, the bar needs to be raised within the food industry.

FastFusion nj
01/13/13 8:18 pm

If the jack ass liberals want to do some good, take the SLS (sodium laurel sulfate) out of toothpaste. It's known to cause cancer and is sold as a driveway cleaner but the FDA allows it in our toothpaste.

bulldog
01/13/13 8:17 pm

If you aren't smart enough to know how to not be fat/lose weight, the government can't help you and I don't want to help or pay to help.

TempName14 Everywhere but nowhere
01/13/13 8:16 pm

I'm opposed to giving the government more power. It's already too big. I don't want another daddy, don't need one.

timeout Boston Strong
01/13/13 8:16 pm

Overweight people cost you money bc they are more likely to get sick. So whether you pay for your insurance or the government you end up paying a higher premiums, doctor visits, hospital cost whatever. So yes I believe the government should do all it can. But you can't force someone to eat right.

Brrrrrrrrr
01/13/13 8:16 pm

The problem with letting babies into politics is that they're incapable of realizing that adults neither want nor need babysitters. Republicans, on the other hand are fully capable of realizing that adults and babies have different needs.

mattyla Binghamton, NY
01/13/13 8:14 pm

People need to take responsibility for themselves and their issues.

RayX quit
01/13/13 8:13 pm

They don't own me although they seem to think they do.

BamaGirl ROLL TIDE from Arizona
01/13/13 8:13 pm

Honest - I hear you, but that's what I think the government SHOULD be doing.

thatguy81 here
01/13/13 8:12 pm

Gallop Polls are generally 1,500 and less. SoH easily makes 6,000+ on every poll. Pretty good judge of the nation if you ask me

mama3
01/13/13 8:12 pm

No with the exception of one thing: breastfeeding. Breastfed babies are less likely to be obese than formula fed babies. I think many women don't breastfeed because of work restrictions, lack of support in hospitals, etc. That should be the one area for improvement.

BamaGirl ROLL TIDE from Arizona
01/13/13 8:12 pm

RogueMom: Sadly, with GMOs, you can't even trust that.

thatguy81 here
01/13/13 8:10 pm

You do see that 71% of people who claim "Democrat" on here are in favor of government involvement in this as opposed to the next closest of 43% right? SoH is better than any other polling out there because it samples a far larger number of people.

FastFusion nj
01/13/13 8:10 pm

The Government is already in our lives too much. This is like paying a dictator. Reduce the size of our government and taxes and I'll reduce the size of my waist!!

dcool Detroit
01/13/13 8:08 pm

Pretty sure it's not their job to control that. It should be ours. We have options. We don't like what's at stores, then we can grow our own. And we can also get off our tushes and exercise.

honest
01/13/13 8:08 pm

BamaGirl, the government will never allow truth in anything. It keeps the people dependent on them.

BamaGirl ROLL TIDE from Arizona
01/13/13 8:07 pm

I just want the FDA to do that job that most Americans think it does.

BamaGirl ROLL TIDE from Arizona
01/13/13 8:07 pm

I just want the FDA to do that job that most Americans think it does.

bb1884
01/13/13 8:06 pm

Mean but true:-/

BamaGirl ROLL TIDE from Arizona
01/13/13 8:06 pm

I have a B. A. in English, but I am SICK of the comments criticizing Tony's grammar. The question is perfectly understandable, so give him a break. I'm sure that your grammar is ALWAYS perfect. :/

bb1884
01/13/13 8:04 pm

The ONLY thing I think the should change is who runs the FDA and the food pyramid. Really FDA... You think we should eat more starches (sugars) than vegetables and fruit?!? They all need to take a nutrition 101 class!

Bob6907
01/13/13 8:04 pm

FREEDOM! Give me liberty or give me death. It is sad so many Americans are willing to give up their freedoms so they can control mine. Don't want to be fat- eat less and exercise. Just don't impose your choices on me. And don't tell me how much I am costing you. You chose to force that on me too!

jonny323
01/13/13 8:04 pm

I know someone who is overweight, and his insurance company reimbursed him for buying a season pass to a snowboarding mountain to encourage him to lose weight.

RogueMom In a Hand Basket
01/13/13 8:03 pm

BamaGirl: If it comes out of the ground buy it in it's most natural state.

For everything else: Beware!!

medicallyhip
01/13/13 8:03 pm

Childhood obesity should be viewed as child abuse. Adults have the right to be as disgusting as they want.

kellyw The Mississippi Delta
01/13/13 8:02 pm

You mean stop subsidizing unhealthy foods. But yes, I agree.

chivalry74
01/13/13 8:01 pm

Lets just say this post was inspired by current events :-). TMI?

smarttexan2 Extremism Harms
01/13/13 8:00 pm

@armynco - so you're basing you hateful generalizations on poll results we know don't represent the US majority and don't even talk about your generalization topics? Keep typing. You're obviously a brain trust.

dbalent
01/13/13 8:00 pm

The government will not deny coverage. The inability to hold people accountable is why we have the debt problem. If anything Obamacare promotes obesity. No one can be denied and for a $600 TAX anyone can be covered.

BamaGirl ROLL TIDE from Arizona
01/13/13 7:59 pm

That way we can make an informed decision.

jonny323
01/13/13 7:59 pm

Are you trying to say we couldn't make it so it would be cheaper to feed a family with healthy foods than unhealthy foods, or just that it is naive to believe that we should?

BamaGirl ROLL TIDE from Arizona
01/13/13 7:59 pm

I just want truth in labeling.

kellyw The Mississippi Delta
01/13/13 7:58 pm

End the corn subsidies. BOOM! No obesity. But then we're back to starvation of the poor. Seriously, I have no clue. Reverse the failed policies first.

eepoke
01/13/13 7:58 pm

No. They did more with the war on drugs and they failed. They've tried the war on poverty and it is failing.

Less government is what we need, not more.