Show Of Hands January 13th, 2013 12:00am

Should the government being doing more to try reduce obesity among the American population?

Melan
01/14/13 1:49 am

Obesity, while shouldn't be ashamed of, is bad for your health. So everyone saying shit about obesity being a look, shut the fuck up.

Melan
01/14/13 1:46 am

The Gov't should being doing a lot of things. Lol

lebowski
01/14/13 1:12 am

There's no easy fix & I don't pretend to have a solution. I'm not for the govt mandating soda sizes, etc. but I do know that unless something is done, those who are responsible in their own lives will continue to pay the penalty for those who are not.

lebowski
01/14/13 1:07 am

@redsox please learn to write before engaging in a discussion. Your reply didn't make sense, again. This isn't new as it has been shown by every reply you've written. To appear intelligent, you need to be able to convey thoughts in a coherent, logical, & hopefully grammatically correct way...

colematts Buffalo, New York
01/14/13 1:07 am

Or at least pass a law that allows us to know what EXACTY is in our food, like making us aware if there are GMOs

colematts Buffalo, New York
01/14/13 1:05 am

I voted no because of the structure of the question. Meaning I wanted to make it clear that even as a Dem, I'm not a fan of the anti-big soda laws (for example). But the government could have a less hands on approach by creating initiatives in schools to have more comprehensive health education.

lebowski
01/14/13 1:04 am

If food stamps needed an ID, that problem is done. It's an easy fix.

No one is for people gaming the system. Realists know that when there's a system, it will be gamed...it takes a logical society to make sure that the situations being gamed are eliminated.

susanr Colorado
01/14/13 1:02 am

Please show evidence that SLS causes cancer.

cornybread The Large Malus Fruit
01/14/13 1:02 am

calories aren't everything. perhaps the best thing we can do is educate people monitoring their nutrition in ways beyond just counting calories. but even then, there are going to be people who are just too lazy to go along with it, and the government can't really change that.

deathvalley Chicago native
01/14/13 1:01 am

But it's also called laziness!!!

If you receive that much free money from welfare, cook some damn good meals!

redsox California
01/14/13 1:01 am

Your arrogance is plan please become educated on a matter before you respond

deathvalley Chicago native
01/14/13 1:00 am

I don't know... I like regular single size hamburgers and I think those are like $1.79?
Either way, I'm talking about giving people TOO much money for groceries.
And then what's left over they trade for cash so they can buy crack!

lebowski
01/14/13 1:00 am

I guess you're ok with paying for those choices?

cornybread The Large Malus Fruit
01/14/13 12:59 am

ok so what do you propose the government does to fix this problem? we can raise our kids to eat healthy diets and be active, but the only thing that's going to change the lifestyle of an adult is if they make the decision themselves to change. there isn't much the government can do about that.

zab
01/14/13 12:57 am

NO. its not the governments responsibility to make sure its citizens can make proper fucking dietary choices.

lebowski
01/14/13 12:54 am

How much does a McDouble and small fry cost in Illinois? In Missouri, it's $2.14.

susanr Colorado
01/14/13 12:54 am

What's wrong with hot sauce?

lebowski
01/14/13 12:53 am

Please learn how to convey your thoughts into written form before chiming in. Thanks.

deathvalley Chicago native
01/14/13 12:52 am

A happy meal at McDonald's hasn't cost $2.14 in probably 20 years!

Whereas I've seen a 2 person household eligible for $500/mo for food stamps.
I personally spend $200/mo for 2 people. If I had an additional $300/mo I'd be fat too!

natedog1
01/14/13 12:50 am

The government is supposed to protect the constitution! Not dictate what we should look like!

redsox California
01/14/13 12:48 am

I'm a conservative obesity is an educational and food industry and parents that are working more hours to keep up the level of living or surviving
Government would make matters worse because they would throw more taxes on a emotional and biological issue

lebowski
01/14/13 12:47 am

Name the free food?

I'm all for limiting food stamps to only certain food groups. I also don't think good stamps should be transferable. Either way, that's only a small part of the problem. A meal at McDonald's costs as little as $2.14 whereas a healthy meal made on your own can cost $3+.

redsox California
01/14/13 12:43 am

People make choices. You can not place laws to change someone lifestyle Do we tax fast food to high that the dollar menu is out of reach to the poor NO my thoughts we educate our young and parents (that will change) I have been trying for years taking to parents dosnt work in most cases

lebowski
01/14/13 12:43 am

Another person who doesn't know the facts.

A obese person who is poor goes to the ER for heart failure but doesn't have insurance because they're poor (majority of obese are poor). Who pays?

The standard American who has insurance pays their bill. Do you want that to continue? I don't.

deathvalley Chicago native
01/14/13 12:41 am

Obesity is on the poor end?

Well then let's stop giving them FREE FOOD!!!!!!!!

lebowski
01/14/13 12:40 am

Then how should the ERs treat issues related directly to obesity? Most obesity is related to the lack of income (poor), who also don't have insurance. Fat people are much more likely to develop disease and other issues which those who have insurance pay for.

lebowski
01/14/13 12:38 am

Once again, this conservative app is filled with dumbasses. Obesity is what is killing our healthcare system.

You can say: who cares! Let people get fat! It's their right!

But most righties don't understand that most obesity is on the poor end, who also get free healthcare, etc

satiricalnick meh
01/14/13 12:29 am

Which is why we should being doing more.

redsox California
01/14/13 12:28 am

I'm a physician so I deal with this issue daily !!! We are in deep trouble people ie America Obesity is number one health problem hypertension,renal failure and congestive heart failure

olympus32
01/14/13 12:27 am

Don't hate on hot sauce. It makes everything from eggplant to frog legs taste delicious.

satiricalnick meh
01/14/13 12:23 am

Being
Doing

ElizabethL BOS . NC
01/14/13 12:06 am

Totally agree!!!!!

deathvalley Chicago native
01/14/13 12:06 am

The government can't and shouldn't control what we eat...
BUT
The government should be controlling what gets put into our food like hormones and steroids!

jtopo Istrouma
01/13/13 11:58 pm

It's a personal issue. The government has no business meddling.

praetorianus65
01/13/13 11:47 pm

You can grab my soda from my dead, cold hands ;)

Lulzy New Jersey
01/13/13 11:39 pm

These comments show the sheer stupidity of the average American. The government has no place in the realms of obesity. That's the individuals problem.

Americlaps want to police their own health problems now? Stop drinking your soda.

LilWing00
01/13/13 11:35 pm

Don't we have enough to worry ab than fat ppl? I have to say I feel a lot more ppl are healthy eaters than before.

BamaGirl ROLL TIDE from Arizona
01/13/13 11:25 pm

Susan, I'll try to find my old magazine & see what study they referenced. I am not a Dr. Oz is law person, but if he says something interesting, then I research it on my own.

sook65 California
01/13/13 11:22 pm

Like abortion and gay marriage, right?

dudley northern Virginia woods
01/13/13 11:20 pm

The government could get rid of a whole lot of obesity if they chopped off some of their own fat.

susanr Colorado
01/13/13 11:19 pm

...off buying them, it won't be economically feasible to continue producing them, and they'll have to go back to non-GMO. Or make both. (Hey, if they can make 87 varieties of toothpaste, why not?) (And yeah, I know it would be way more complicated than that... But still...)

EveRose Certified Trans Gendercapitalist
01/13/13 11:17 pm

People have the option to buy healthy but cheap alternatives to what we traditionally consume. But, if they do not wish to purchase these alternatives then it is their business. It is not the business of the state.

susanr Colorado
01/13/13 11:14 pm

I agree with you completely about labeling GMO foods. I don't think it's really necessary (but who knows! I could be wrong), but a whole lot of people WANT it and with relatively new technology I think they deserve to have that desire satisfied. If having the foods labelled puts enough people...

susanr Colorado
01/13/13 11:03 pm

...competition - actually they carry entirely too many products, like 87 varieties of toothpaste. There are still a few things that I haven't found anywhere in town & have to order online, but I haven't made it to the Asian grocery yet.

praetorianus65
01/13/13 11:02 pm

Small children are regulated by parents or caretakers not the government when it comes to victimless offenses or regulations.
When I was 10, my Dad snuck me into the movie "Earthquake" starring Heston which was labeled 16 then.
He knew better than the government that it won't harm me.

susanr Colorado
01/13/13 11:01 pm

...packaged stuff. I shop with my daughter & son-in-law once a week at a supermarket to get stuff that's less expensive than Sprouts, or is heavier than I want to schlep the 2+ blocks, but for produce I head to Sprouts. We have a number of major supermarket chains here, so there's pretty good...

susanr Colorado
01/13/13 10:58 pm

Try the Sprouts when you get a chance. Mine used to be a Sunflower, which I loved, & it hasn't changed much at all. It does have a lot of vitamins & "natural" remedies but I just ignore them & head for the CENTER of the store which is ALL produce. They also carry dairy, non-dairy, meats & some...

AnnieM The Island
01/13/13 10:55 pm

consider my FIL a great grower, but even for him all he can get to grow out here are olives (useless unless you can process them), citrus, basil, rosemary and tomatoes (but those only with A LOT of work and little result).
Lucky for me, I can't eat citrus, so I can't even reap that benefit. :(

AnnieM The Island
01/13/13 10:55 pm

Oh, and I lost my train of thought. I was going to say that down here I don't think a community garden would help much anyway. We're nearly always on water restrictions, to say the summers (that is, March to October) are "harsh" is a gross understatement and the soil is poor at best. …

susanr Colorado
01/13/13 10:53 pm

I did find your post about wheat & GMO corn - thanks. I'm not convinced its a general problem, but hey, if it works for you, go for it. I have a sister-out-law who has been gluten-free for years & swears by it.