Show Of Hands January 13th, 2013 12:00am

Should the government being doing more to try reduce obesity among the American population?

ScrewU Gone
01/15/13 8:58 pm

The govt should be trying to reduce its own ridiculous size.

deebee
01/15/13 8:40 pm

Watch "Weight of a Nation" on HBO - it's free online. Obesity is consuming our tax dollars by things that are PREVENTABLE!

deebee
01/15/13 8:36 pm

It may be one's choice to be overweight, but it's a choice that affects every one of us in terms of tax dollars. Not just healthcare but more obesity means more physical strain on our infrastructure. More obese people driving on roads, means more weight on roads, means more repairs that cost tax $$.

max69power Florida
01/15/13 7:55 pm

stop the taxation and nanny state we are free people and as free people we can chose to do stupid things. the government is too bloated now

max69power Florida
01/15/13 7:53 pm

There is nowhere in the constitution that gives the government that power or should it have that power this is a free country the fed is there only to keep us safe from fourn and domestic threats and to protect the constitution and the rights of the American people that is it.

vbranger Hillary for Prison
01/15/13 7:45 pm

Fast & Furious,Benghazi,Solyndra, AAA downgrade,Did nothing on Oil Spill Disaster for 30 days,6.5 tril new debt, unaffordable health care,blames Bush and everyone else for his failures but takes credit if its good, more lavish vacations than any other pres, no spending cuts, what else can we ask for

staygolden
01/15/13 5:50 pm

Unless they plan to decrease the price of healthier foods they should be focused on bigger things

cowboy Dawns Highway
01/15/13 4:57 pm

The new American way. Just ban it! I miss America.

farout10
01/15/13 4:54 pm

It is not the place of the government to get involved with people's food choices.. It is personal responsibility.. Not governmental responsibility.

hexin Wisconsin
01/15/13 4:33 pm

Banning a couple of fattening ingredients that are easy to replace with less fattening ones would be nice. I'm looking at you, high fructose corn syrup.

Threeper301 Gilbert, AZ
01/15/13 3:47 pm

If people want to be fat, f@cking pigs, stupid and disgusting as it is, it's still their choice to do so. :-/

krayzewolf New Hampshire
01/15/13 1:20 pm

Screw personal responsibility, have king Obama fix it. Because you are to stupid on your own.

skeptisys
01/15/13 11:14 am

Market speculations artificially drive up the price of food, making it more difficult for people to afford anything but the lowest quality of food. The government should work to lower food costs. They should also mandate safety testing on genetically altered foods.

cowboy Dawns Highway
01/15/13 11:06 am

Health class huh? Would the children learn about that before or after they handle condoms?

EarlyBird Portland
01/15/13 10:48 am

Cowboy - there are a lot of things government can do: change what kids are learning in health class, get the prices of fruits and veggies down, etc.
i would never agree that government should tell us what we can and can't eat, but they can help in other ways.

How can you not agree with that?

cowboy Dawns Highway
01/15/13 10:34 am

You don't want the government involved with what you eat, but the government has to do something? Ok...

cowboy Dawns Highway
01/15/13 10:32 am

Well I wasn't sure EarlyBird when you use terms like "we", "we've", and "us". I thought you one of them.

EarlyBird Portland
01/15/13 9:26 am

I don't want Uncle Sam telling me what to eat but you must admit something needs to be done.

And no, I'm not a fatty... Lol

EarlyBird Portland
01/15/13 9:23 am

Cowboy - I have two missions right now: 1) finally see Back to the Future and 2) see you be open minded enough to change your vote on an important issue.

cowboy Dawns Highway
01/15/13 9:15 am

Are you one of the fatties EarlyBird?

cowboy Dawns Highway
01/15/13 9:11 am

"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are; We're from the government and we're here to help" - Ronald Reagan

leary Dulag Luft
01/15/13 8:14 am

Yeah, we can make Chris Christie the Secretary of Fat.

EarlyBird Portland
01/15/13 7:56 am

Look people, we are a country of fatties and we've done it to ourselves! The government needs to step in and figure out a way to help us get obesity under control.
It would be very irresponsible for the government to turn a blind eye while we continue to get sicker and sicker.

vbranger Hillary for Prison
01/15/13 6:46 am

It's funny you say that, how many of the rich movie stars and producers are democrats and liberal, most of them are. So when people say the rich people are republicans I get confused, every time I turn on the news it's about another actor or actress a out how they support the Democratic Party

Doopy Remedial Americanism
01/15/13 6:19 am

It's kinda like asking cattle why they hate Burger King...

cowboy Dawns Highway
01/15/13 6:12 am

How do propose the government force people to drink water, eat more greens, or go for a walk?

cowboy Dawns Highway
01/15/13 6:08 am

Its not blind hatred. Its stupid shit like this that pisses me off. Its none of the government's business.

ScrewU Gone
01/15/13 5:37 am

The govt is not your baby daddy.

ScrewU Gone
01/15/13 5:35 am

Yeah... so many wealthy Republicans living in the Bible Belt. Idiot.

Doopy Remedial Americanism
01/15/13 5:26 am

Millions of people in this nation have been traumatized by the government, and became libertarians.

vbranger Hillary for Prison
01/15/13 5:16 am

Every liberal I debate with, all they say is the gov't needs to get involved to handle that. Is our broke gov't really the solution to the citizens personal problems. Personal responsibility is all about you not the gov't. Gov't is getting In everyone's business way to much.

vbranger Hillary for Prison
01/15/13 5:12 am

Then why do liberals besides yourself want gov't control on everything, do people not realize that when a gov't provides everything for you, in which we continue as a country to allow this, the Gov't will be allowed to tax every citizen 100%, why because gov't takes care of all your needs.

thathrlady
01/15/13 5:01 am

The government is NOT my mother or father. Come on Dems, personal responsibility.

vbranger Hillary for Prison
01/15/13 4:54 am

I'm a republican and I am not rich by no means, I make less than 60k a year with 4 kids, I consider myself middle class, why because your class is what you make it, I do not excessively spend or I do not rack up bills, I live within my means, everyone thinks a republican is rich. That's dumb

sweetjoe
01/15/13 12:17 am

Not their job.

Romney225
01/15/13 12:00 am

The government can't manage my weight much less my tax money!!

FemmeAdamWest in the Tardis library
01/14/13 10:54 pm

If minority you mean not white, that is false and I'm actually doing better off then my mama and perfectly capable of wiping my own ass :) and while I am a liberal I said no to this question. I don't need the government baby my food intake.

coels00 Kentucky
01/14/13 10:43 pm

It is not the government's responsibility to make sure you are not obese. Anyone who is even slightly overweight (myself included) knows exactly how they got that way and what they need to do to lose weight. There seems to be no personal responsibility anymore...too easy to blame someone else.

FemmeAdamWest in the Tardis library
01/14/13 10:43 pm

It's not the liberals fault he doesn't have a rich dad to give him everything he needs in life, like say your average republican.

zyga
01/14/13 10:17 pm

Haha. Armynco, we shouldn't have kids anymore and delete the human mistake... That's what you sound like!

susanr Colorado
01/14/13 9:58 pm

...We also get crows, pigeons, little birds & the occasional pair of mallards. They're SO well fed I'm not sure they'd even notice my scraps. And they're all so much fun to watch!

susanr Colorado
01/14/13 9:56 pm

I've looked online a bit for info, and there's an eco store in town that carries both kinds of urban composers. I may do it. I used to compost when I had a yard. There's a guy in my building who feeds sunflower seeds to the squirrels & they all congregate under a big tree right outside by apt...

susanr Colorado
01/14/13 9:47 pm

I don't buy juices of any kind (preferring whole foods), but I *always* look at the nutrition panel on any packaged food I buy for the first time. I may be an anomaly, though.

Doopy Remedial Americanism
01/14/13 9:32 pm

True. Rednecks don't shoot each other often.

vbranger Hillary for Prison
01/14/13 9:23 pm

It's funny how that comment said let all rednecks shoot each other, correct me if I'm wrong, where is the majority of gun violence...low income, un-educated, minority driven area's where the strictest gun laws are. So being a redneck I guess has its advantage, less likely to get shot and good aim

vbranger Hillary for Prison
01/14/13 9:08 pm

Gov't we cannot execute murderers any more, but we need to keep abortions legal and kill the innocent, gov't punish that rich guy for being successful.... Gov't I'm a liberal and I don't know what to do.....please help me no one has guided me on how to survive as an independent citizen.

BadWolf The Library
01/14/13 9:07 pm

What is with the blind hatred for the government?

vbranger Hillary for Prison
01/14/13 9:04 pm

Gov't wipe my a$$ for me, I am a liberal and I need you to do everything for me. Gov't pay my child support for me, pay my rent for me, pay my cell phone bill for me, gov't he said something negative about me will you take away freedom of speech so he cannot say that anymore......