Show Of Hands January 13th, 2013 12:00am

Should the government being doing more to try reduce obesity among the American population?

gtgconfused
01/14/13 1:35 pm

I planted the catnip away from the garden. Stray cats go to it instead of digging in the garden. I even dry it for my own cats. Decorative pinwheels & flags with tails help keep birds out.

FemmeAdamWest in the Tardis library
01/14/13 1:26 pm

No one loves that guy except you Cowboy seeing as how you keep bringing up his "work". (Which you also have incorrect facts about)

redwolf143
01/14/13 1:26 pm

Grammar nazi comment...

01/14/13 1:25 pm

Can you explain the catnip thing?

01/14/13 1:24 pm

Gtg, thanks for the ideas! I use fish emulsion and dish soap also :)
Will have to try raised beds. Any other advice? This is my first time doing actual gardening (not counting container gardening on an apt balcony)!

FemmeAdamWest in the Tardis library
01/14/13 1:24 pm

Or we can send all the republicans, then it would be a rich white middle aged sausage fest where equal rights don't exist and they can get drunk and shoot each other like the rednecks they are just dying to be :)

halb
01/14/13 1:23 pm

Now, now, people from Texas. Let's be a good example to the US like we always have been.

magnum
01/14/13 1:19 pm

Paleo is a good diet but, where are you getting this autism reduction figure from? I've not heard anything like that

01/14/13 1:18 pm

I watched the presidential debates. Which debates were you watching?

01/14/13 1:17 pm

Did I say that we should regulate cheeseburgers (or any food, for that matter)? Nope!
Regulating what people eat is not the answer. There are lots of other ideas that would work way better, without limiting our choices and freedoms.

gtgconfused
01/14/13 1:14 pm

Raised beds and container planting uses a lot less water and easier to keep maintained. I even recycle plastic containers for my patio sized greenhouse. I only use fish emulsion. And dish soap spray mist if too many bugs. Catnip planted on a bank to avoid strays digging. Works great!

gunluvr NOT a Gun Free Zone
01/14/13 1:11 pm

So why when it comes to abortion, liberals say "hands off" because it's my CHOICE, but when I choose to eat a cheeseburger it's the governments's business ... So hurting myself with a cheeseburger should be regulated , but killing a baby shouldn't ? You are so messed up !

vbranger Hillary for Prison
01/14/13 1:05 pm

We should ship these liberals to an island of their choice, have all the laws in place that they like...like eat what I say to eat, no guns, no free speech, no free religion, have complete government control, and big gov't debt, this way they can get a taste of what is happening to this country.

01/14/13 1:05 pm

I'm not sure if you know how health insurance premiums work. I'm healthy, but I pay roughly the same amount as everyone else. So a huge portion of my payments go toward people who go out and eat cheeseburgers "just because they can". Basically, I pay your health insurance welfare check.

01/14/13 12:57 pm

Cowboy, if you pay attention to what I am saying, you'd know that your comment is inaccurate.

cowboy Dawns Highway
01/14/13 12:54 pm

"don't tell other people what they should and shouldn't do"? While arguing for the government telling us what we should eat? You seriously don't see the irony in that dreamit?

gunluvr NOT a Gun Free Zone
01/14/13 12:53 pm

As I mentioned previously, it's MY body, MY health, and the government has no right to tell me what to do with it...seems like a double standard here because liberals use the exact same argument on abortion ....

01/14/13 12:50 pm

RogueMom, the idea I mentioned is one of many realistic plans that would truly help. You can try to knock it all you want, but it doesn't change the facts. Also, please don't tell other people what they should and shouldn't do.

gunluvr NOT a Gun Free Zone
01/14/13 12:50 pm

Nope. Obamacare took care of that ... I'll have to pay for all the deadbeat liberals that refuse to work..are you one of them ?

gunluvr NOT a Gun Free Zone
01/14/13 12:48 pm

Ooops meant for the thread below

jonny323
01/14/13 12:48 pm

I support the law about salt. I don't support the law about soda. Can you come up with a logical reason not to implement either?

gunluvr NOT a Gun Free Zone
01/14/13 12:47 pm

Nope, obamacare took care of that...we have to pay for all the deadbeat liberals that refuse to work...are you one ?

jonny323
01/14/13 12:45 pm

It is not free choice when information is purposefully held from the consumer and not all consumers can afford quality food.

RogueMom In a Hand Basket
01/14/13 12:43 pm

If there is a big demand for fresh fruit then you'll make a fortune. If there's not then you know why the farmers aren't next door to you. People like $1 drive thrus and Ben&Jerry's and don't care to be informed. It isn't your job to make them informed and it isn't your governments job either.

Rafic
01/14/13 12:42 pm

Eat primal / paleo... It will also reduce our autism rate by 2/3.

RogueMom In a Hand Basket
01/14/13 12:41 pm

DreamIt: That all sounds very pure hearted & you should offer to buy bulk & Drive a bunch of produce to your house and resell it.

The gov isn't our parents, corporations/products aren't our siblings, and you shouldn't feel like a victim and cry. "Be the change you want to see in the world."

01/14/13 12:41 pm

for the neighborhood grocery store to sell much produce. People gain weight and become less healthy because they don't have the option to eat healthier. I believe that people want to be healthy, and they would make changes voluntarily if they had the option. Why should corn be subsidized so much?

Rafic
01/14/13 12:40 pm

Yes but they never will... They make too much off of the poisonous foods they export like corn and other grains which cause us fat Americans to be fat!

RogueMom In a Hand Basket
01/14/13 12:38 pm

Jonny: Type in Food Police, Hoke County, and Lunch Box Police and all the media surrounding the incident is there.

Apart of my issue is because Moderation doesn't make these products dangerous (similar to Alcohol) then there's no reason for the government to step in because it's all free choice

cowboy Dawns Highway
01/14/13 12:38 pm

Everything in moderation RogueMom. Apparently some people haven't heard that one. Just let the government handle. They know what they're doing...

01/14/13 12:38 pm

I live in a city, and my neighborhood is nice enough, but it's definitely a "food desert" area--meaning, very little fresh food at the grocery store and restaurants. I can drive a few miles to get fresh food. Older people and low income families might not be able to. It's not cost effective...

01/14/13 12:35 pm

(cont) and maybe using the money that used to go to corn to help small farmers growing healthy crops. No added rules or regulations. It just makes it easier for people to choose fresh produce instead of corn based "food" products. You get to keep your freedom.

jonny323
01/14/13 12:34 pm

I have never heard of anyone throwing away a child's packed lunch. That's obviously excessive, but there are effective steps that could be taken that don't cross into a realm of government controlling our lives.

01/14/13 12:33 pm

RogueMom and cowboy, I get that you don't like what the government has done so far to improve our health. I'm not a fan of it either. The idea here is to find methods that are shown through research to be effective, and implement those. Simply reducing the subsidy to corn would do wonders...

RogueMom In a Hand Basket
01/14/13 12:31 pm

Jonny/Dream: Do you know why the Super Size option is gone from McDonalds? An explosive documentary and public outrage. So McD went "green" & started offering healthier options and dismissed the Super Size option,
THAT is how you get rid of pollutant s like that, The People not the government

jonny323
01/14/13 12:29 pm

01/14/13 12:28 pm

I live in Dallas and just bought my first house last summer. I have herbs in containers bc it was too hot to grow anything else when we moved in. I'm getting ready to start a garden this year!

cowboy Dawns Highway
01/14/13 12:27 pm

RogueMom Its not happening in Mass. or Texas so its not happening to them... yet.

RogueMom In a Hand Basket
01/14/13 12:26 pm

Cowboy: Actually wheat and corn based products do cause Easy weight gain. Most people aren't aware of it.

I've cut out Wheat/Wheat Flour and lost 6 pounds in 10 days so far. However, I did that through my own education and decision. I still don't believe Government should force anything on anyon

susanr Colorado
01/14/13 12:25 pm

I didn't join the local CSA last year mainly because there's a great produce store (which buys as much locally as it can) just a couple blocks from me, and now the CSA has declared bankruptcy. I've gone to one of the local farmers' markets but their prices were pretty high.

cowboy Dawns Highway
01/14/13 12:25 pm

Oh god. Don't get them started with Bloomberg again. They love that guy.

01/14/13 12:24 pm

You have the freedom to force me to subsidize your health care costs? Gee thanks!

cowboy Dawns Highway
01/14/13 12:23 pm

I've been wanting to see that on Netflix Susan. I watched "Farmagedon" the other day. It's about how the government is coming down on independent local farms and shutting them down.

01/14/13 12:23 pm

RogueMom, from what I understand about Jonny's ideas, that's not what he's proposing at all.

RogueMom In a Hand Basket
01/14/13 12:22 pm

It has already started to creep in, inch by inch by inch. It won't bother you until you are doing work outs via web cam with your local Fitness Monitor (reference to 1984)

01/14/13 12:22 pm

Cowboy doesn't understand what we are saying. But he does know a thing or two about straw man arguments!

RogueMom In a Hand Basket
01/14/13 12:20 pm

Jonny: No big sodas in NY, no Happy Meals in CA, and schooks have Lunch box monitors to take away a packed lunch if it is "unhealthy."

Give the government an inch in a new territory of your life and they start to think they are a ruler.

susanr Colorado
01/14/13 12:15 pm

I grow what I can. When I had a house in a small city my whole front yard was raised beds of vegetables, herbs & fruit. I'm trying to grow stuff here but have only a small sunken patio and sun only 1/2 day. The 1st summer didn't go too well, but I still have herbs all winter.

lightsabr2 The Big Sky
01/14/13 12:12 pm

Like that moron Bloomberg? No thanks, I'll chose personal responsibility over government meddling.