Show Of Hands December 24th, 2012 12:00am

At the request of his wife, an Iowa dentist fired a female assistant because she was "irresistible and a threat to his marriage." She sued, claiming discrimination. The Iowa Supreme Court ruled in favor of the dentist. Good call?

kellyw The Mississippi Delta
12/25/12 5:40 pm

business, day after day.

kellyw The Mississippi Delta
12/25/12 5:39 pm

This wasn't about her looks or women in general. If you read the articles about this incident, it was clear that this was about his attraction to her as an individual. Just as I can't imagine firing anybody for "being too pretty", I also can't imagine forcing someone to be uncomfortable in his ...

kellyw The Mississippi Delta
12/25/12 5:26 pm

is HIS business, not hers. So while I think the whole situation is unfortunate, I don't see anything unethical here, and I definitely don't see anything illegal.

If you think this is so terrible, I'd like to know what the better solution should be.

kellyw The Mississippi Delta
12/25/12 5:24 pm

and act professionally. Whether they liked each other too much or too little is irrelevant.

If you can't stay on your diet around cake, you don't blame the cake, but wise people also don't keep cake in the house. It's not her fault that she couldn't stay, but one of them had to leave and it ...

softbatch
12/25/12 5:23 pm

Right and I guess the court was wrong too? Thanks for for correcting us.

kellyw The Mississippi Delta
12/25/12 5:22 pm

We aren't claiming that you can fire whomever you want. We aren't even claiming you can fire someone based on how they look. This case was not decided on the grounds of discrimination because it wasn't a case of discrimination.

There was a situation where two people could not work together ...

Ace21 Fillmore, San Francisco
12/25/12 5:02 pm

Decided this case on grounds other than discrimination.

Ace21 Fillmore, San Francisco
12/25/12 5:02 pm

Under common law, you can fire someone for any reason. By contrast, you can't fire someone for an impermissible reason (ie discrimination) under state/fed statutes, which modify common law. Don't know the facts of this case, nor have I read the opinion of the court, but I suspect that the court

JackTorS Clap you stupid bastards
12/25/12 5:01 pm

I agree. It wasn't even clear cut that Knight could have even fired Nelson in the first place, and I have a feeling we haven't heard the end of it.

arborfamilia on top of the hill
12/25/12 4:27 pm

It is completely unacceptable to say anyone can be fired for the way they look. You can't fire ugly people, or short people, or people who start balding... Genetics over which someone has no control cannot be a condition for employment, unless you can demonstrate that it actually hinders their work.

palindrome California
12/25/12 3:46 pm

You can't fire someone for "whatever reason you want". People who keep insisting this are clearly ignorant of the law. Just because you own a business does not mean you get to do whatever you want. It just doesn't work that way. I don't even know where people got such an idea from.

susanr Colorado
12/25/12 3:28 pm

Annie, I agree completely about the pastor. He/she should have been looking at the larger ethical situation. "Fire her" isn't something I can imagine coming out of any pastor's mouth, not without something in addition. If that were my pastor, I'd find another church.

PartyJustin R.O.C.K. in the R.O.C.
12/25/12 3:18 pm

All of you who can't get past this idea of "you can fire anyone for any reason" have no understanding of discrimination laws. The reality is that you are limited in why and how you fire someone. These laws are to protect the vast majority of Americans who are workers, not employers.

jamjay Atlanta, Ga
12/25/12 3:10 pm

The guy was an ass.
However, it is his business and he should be able to fire anyone he wants. A job is not a right nor is it permanent.

DrReid Ever present.
12/25/12 2:50 pm

Wrong, if an employer fires someone for a discriminatory reason, the employee, can sue.

DrReid Ever present.
12/25/12 2:47 pm

You clearly don't know the law.

sweetnes34 Outta Phucks
12/25/12 2:38 pm

she was there 10 or 15 years.

carped1em seize the day
12/25/12 2:13 pm

Anyone can be fired, at any time. Although his reasons were wrong, he is well within his rights to fire any employee for any reason.

Ummmmm
12/25/12 2:11 pm

My question is what made her irresistible. Did she dress in a provocative manner ? Was she a flirt? Then yes I agree and applaud that the dentist fired her to save his marriage.

besmart
12/25/12 2:07 pm

It's is his livelihood and he can let anyone go for that reason. You don't set vodka in front of an alcoholic.

AndrewJ1025
12/25/12 1:24 pm

I need more information like how long she had been working there.

obamaboy
12/25/12 12:57 pm

Plus he's the boss he can do what he wants

obamaboy
12/25/12 12:51 pm

That is in no way discrimination the reason she lost is because she picked the wrong thing to sue about

Twix
12/25/12 12:31 pm

The only thing worse than harassment is profiting from fraudulent harassment

olive111
12/25/12 12:29 pm

Again, it's all about boundaries! Because he can't resist his urge to be inappropriate he had to fire her, GROWN UP! He even said he would eventually have an affair.... Really? Try being faithful it won't stop with her.

Doopy Remedial Americanism
12/25/12 12:26 pm

Uh... Merry Christmas?

Doopy Remedial Americanism
12/25/12 12:25 pm

I believe people should be free. Even free to discriminate. I've been privately discriminated against for being white, being male, being a Christian, being to young, being too old, and a myriad of other things.

I really couldn't care less. I'm pretty awesome; it's their loss.

It's a gorram right.

hoosierwisdom inner voice
12/25/12 12:12 pm

I am confused. Saying the court sided with dentist, does that mean the hottie got her job back? That is probably what he wanted since he hired her in the first place.

softbatch
12/25/12 12:00 pm

Why shouldn't an employer be able to fire someone they don't want to employ? This is a private business not the government were talking about. She has no right to a job and can be fired for any reason or quit for reason in an at will state. The court interpreted the law correctly. Bravo.

RayX quit
12/25/12 11:23 am

Is it possible that she set this up so she could win a large settlement?

It appears she was wronged but spent more in attorney fees than she would have made working for the creep. She and/or her attorney are looking for a big payday.

ThePhlegm The Lone Star State
12/25/12 10:58 am

I can fix the economy: make this dentist hire every person who doesn't have a job! Since you think he can't be allowed to fire anyone, just make him hire everyone and can't fire them! Economy Solved!!!

chemist2016
12/25/12 10:49 am

I read a comment on SOH that was a dark and unspoken truth. Discrimination is just as American as apple pie. These types of fights will go on for years to come because it is Americans fighting American culture.

chemist2016
12/25/12 10:46 am

I read a comment on SOH that's was dark but true. Discrimination is just as American as apple pie. This battle is a tough battle because it is Americans fighting American culture

soulfighter
12/25/12 10:37 am

Bond: I agree. And I'm shocked that a majority of women voted in favor of the guy.

One step forward FIVE steps back!

PrairiePup
12/25/12 10:05 am

Agreed. She should have sued for sexual harassment!

PartyFree Nowhere in Particular
12/25/12 9:54 am

Sorry, being pretty isn't a protected class. He didn't fire her for being a woman - he fired her for being beautiful. Iowa's Supreme Court got it right, as disgusting as it may be.

informer
12/25/12 9:42 am

It's obviously NOT against the law if the Supreme Court of their respective state said it was legal.

informer
12/25/12 9:40 am

The more important question is whether or not the government has the right to force an employer, by law, to employ someone against that employer's will.

cogster Iowa
12/25/12 9:36 am

As much as I agree that its terrible this women lost her job, By Iowa law a employer has the right to fire a person for any reason they want. they are not allowed to discriminate against persons based on sexual orientation, age, or race. as these are federally protected classes of people. A persons

Doopy Remedial Americanism
12/25/12 9:28 am

palindrome, there's a thing called property rights. They are more wonderful. godandcyanide, I know people who have landed jobs with 30 years experience easily.

Regardless, I believe it's up to each individual to solve their own problems and secure their own employment.

truth1 Florida
12/25/12 8:50 am

Employers should not be forced to employ someone against their will. People like palindrome are way too emotional about this topic to think rationally

Kyonkichi Memphis
12/25/12 8:47 am

Really? He can't control himself so she has to be fired? And 40 percent of you think he's right? Are y'all serious?

sukiemac Michigan
12/25/12 8:05 am

I think the wife should have court ordered therapy

veritas1 Panda
12/25/12 8:01 am

This is still at its vote an issue of discriminating against someone because of both their sex and how the look.

There really isn't a case for that being legitimate that doesn't also hold sexism and racism as legitimate reasons to terminate employment.

godcyanide Probably gone for good
12/25/12 7:50 am

...experienced and jobless; in fact, it's harder. My roommate, who has twenty years' experience in various levels of restaurant work, had trouble finding work recently, mostly because employers were worried he'd leave for better paying work at his first chance. I'm just saying, it's not easy.

godcyanide Probably gone for good
12/25/12 7:48 am

...even land a part-time job! The reason most often cited is, "You're TOO experienced," meaning they either expect him to leave for better or they think he'll expect too much money. He was only looking to get away from his wife and didn't even need the money. I'm just saying, it's not easy being...

godcyanide Probably gone for good
12/25/12 7:46 am

Doopy, I've worked for a business owned by a guy who was illiterate to the point where he couldn't write his own checks. His business was around for a while. You'd be surprised. In any case, 20 years ago, my father retired after 30 years with USPS. A year later, not even 50 years old, he couldn't...