Show Of Hands December 24th, 2012 12:00am

At the request of his wife, an Iowa dentist fired a female assistant because she was "irresistible and a threat to his marriage." She sued, claiming discrimination. The Iowa Supreme Court ruled in favor of the dentist. Good call?

hononegah Illinois
12/24/12 2:02 pm

It's his right to fire his employees

Godschild
12/24/12 2:02 pm

The Dentist had the right to fire the worker because if you get down to technical terms, this lady was not necessarily fired but layoff. She being "irresistible" plays a role, yet if he is the employer, he can fire her if he pleases.

Loadmaster Sacto
12/24/12 2:02 pm

Privately owned business are just like private residences. The owners set the rules. If she worked for the city/state, then she'd have more wiggle room here in lawsuit and my opinion would be different. But being employed by private citizens in a private business means your subject to their rules...

comppete Las Vegas
12/24/12 2:00 pm

This guy can't seem to keep his LUST for women Out of the office. Now an innocent women had to pay the price for his stupidity and perversion. Don't hire women if you can't keep your eyes off of their crotch. This dentist is a sick'o and the judge is a chauvinist idiot.

AnnieM The Island
12/24/12 1:59 pm

Given the unparalleled sense of professionalism this guy displays there's always the possibility that he hired her for the same reason he fired her.

truth1 Florida
12/24/12 1:55 pm

My fav part of you post was when you discriminated against people and then railed against discrimination. Lol would read again A++

canecorso Las Vegas Nv
12/24/12 1:53 pm

They claim he is religious and his clergy agreed firing this wife and mother was for the best.
I say what goes around comes around. My Christmas wish is that all his female patients stop going to him.

kellyw The Mississippi Delta
12/24/12 1:51 pm

I think that it was a weird thing to do, but I support the right to fire people based on personality conflicts, which as bizarre as it was, this appeared to be.

Plus, it does not seem that she was entirely innocent in these flirtations, as she claims.

palindrome California
12/24/12 1:46 pm

You can just pick out the people with privilege one by one by their comments here.... Except they're all the same, usual suspects so it's no big surprise.

This woman's firing was blatantly discriminatory. Period. It was based on her appearance. You can't do that.

truth1 Florida
12/24/12 1:42 pm

It was the right decision, but not for the reasons you may think.

Employment works best if it is 'at will' by both sides. The employee should not be a slave to their employer, and vice versa. That being said, this dentist sounds like a d-bag - why did he hire her in the first place?

3acn
12/24/12 1:41 pm

Why turn this into a race issue? Excuse me for a second while I stop my head from spinning.

sheepdog1
12/24/12 1:40 pm

Iowa is yet another "Employee at will" state. I quote from Iowa's FAQ on employment: "...may terminate the relationship at any time, for any reason, or for no reason at all." Your elected officials hard at work.

3acn
12/24/12 1:38 pm

@Kiani and I would support your right to fire him. Sounds like you are agreeing.

3acn
12/24/12 1:37 pm

I don't see it as blaming the woman. Going along with your analogy I'm not going to sit next to the cake all day long and be forced to look at it. I'm going to remove it from my house. Most would agree that removing the cake from the house took an enormous amount of willpower.

mawster34 A place called Davidson
12/24/12 1:37 pm

I will never think of the Iowan judicial system in the same way ever.

jrnpstr
12/24/12 1:34 pm

Um no...

3acn
12/24/12 1:33 pm

I have seen situations like this and it is necessary. You can't let things like this get between you and your wife. It sucks for the woman but its life. You take some and you lose some. A smart guy would have come up with a better reason for letting her go.

JackTorS Clap you stupid bastards
12/24/12 1:26 pm

found out, he REALLY had no choice to fire her.
I think he did the right thing. A lot of men in that mid life crisis age range would have acquiesced. The lesser of two evils for him.
Fair? No.
Legal? Apparently, yes.

JackTorS Clap you stupid bastards
12/24/12 1:23 pm

He knew the woman for 10 years. Worked with her five days a week, and was friendly with her. Some of my female friends that I have known for that long speak that way to me sometimes, but I think nothing of it.

He felt himself wanting something more than just being friendly, and after his wife

twotired
12/24/12 1:16 pm

It's a fair decision. It's messed up, but there isn't any discrimination that I see.

Septer
12/24/12 1:14 pm

I think it's a good call not because the reason he fired her is just but because he should be able to fire someone for whatever he wants.

kianiwaters Somewhere Over There
12/24/12 1:07 pm

What's he saying to the other women working for him or any new hires?
Change the dress code to baggy scrubs.
Tell her the issue and keep her on till she finds another job, with a great reference letter. And a severance package.

RayX quit
12/24/12 1:05 pm

What damages would you award?

RayX quit
12/24/12 1:05 pm

Worse discrimination would be to require her to work under the creep.

EarlyBird Portland
12/24/12 1:01 pm

I read the report yesterday, either on USA Today or Drudge Report. It included a pic of the woman.

kianiwaters Somewhere Over There
12/24/12 12:59 pm

I would then fire you for that opinion! Or because you are silly or smell funny or smoke.

centexken Republic of Texas
12/24/12 12:57 pm

Sounds like the dentist's wife wears the pants in that family.

GoldenRay On SSBB
12/24/12 12:55 pm

Discrimination. Fired for being too attractive, imagine that..

silea
12/24/12 12:50 pm

An attractive person is a threat to your marriage the same way a tasty piece of cake is a threat to your diet. It's you, and your lack of willpower. No one really blames the cake. Why blame the woman?

commonsense America isnt racist
12/24/12 12:49 pm

IMO an employer should be able to let you go for ANY reason.

MrWolfe Nashville
12/24/12 12:46 pm

That's sort of what I was hinting at. Not sure we have all the details yet.
She has claimed innocence and a mildly plutonic professional relationship with the doctor so far. We shall see...

soulfighter
12/24/12 12:45 pm

This is discrimination. And you have to be a moron not to protect the rights of this American woman. Sorry women.

RJ1969 SoCal
12/24/12 12:44 pm

where have you been?

soulfighter
12/24/12 12:40 pm

Sure... And if he doesn't want to pay a black person then he also has a right.., oh wait this is America, we would never do that.

dustbunny
12/24/12 12:39 pm

Ooh! That's bad, I then change my vote to the court should've sided with the assistant.
And hopefully that woman divorces her pervy husband and takes him to the dry cleaners for all he's got.

BAL North Carolina
12/24/12 12:39 pm

Wouldn't want that dentist cleaning my teeth. Doesn't sound too smart!

soulfighter
12/24/12 12:37 pm

RJ: haha smart

Lm: the court was wrong for not protecting the rights of this woman. And this wife has more issues with her husband than anything else. Whose this judge?!

austrian Valid Location, Virginia
12/24/12 12:36 pm

There is no right to a job which forces an employer to continue employing someone. In fact, forcing the employer to continue employing the employee violates the property rights of the former. Unless it was in the contract that he can't fire her for this reason, we have no right to stop him.

jmofwiw
12/24/12 12:35 pm

It's his money and his decision who he wants to pay it to.

PurpleAsh Nowhere Land, CO
12/24/12 12:32 pm

However if you do get hired at hooters and then gain weight they will fire you for it. I understand it is wrong but it is up to the business to decide who they hire and fire.

climbtrad Missouri
12/24/12 12:32 pm

I thought he fired her so she wouldn't get shafted! Sorry, I couldn't resist

AnnieM The Island
12/24/12 12:31 pm

would have an affair with her outweighs all those innocuous, mundane and innocent texts.

AnnieM The Island
12/24/12 12:31 pm

I know that in numbers most the texts were innocuous ("mundane" was the word used by ABC), but asking how many times she orgasmed, saying she'd know her clothes were inappropriate by the bulge in his pants and telling her husband that if she stayed on he…

RJ1969 SoCal
12/24/12 12:31 pm

did I do it? was my comment as retarded as Lmurder's?

niteowl Hold Fast
12/24/12 12:30 pm

Exactly. Plus, he has to live with his wife. Family first...

RJ1969 SoCal
12/24/12 12:28 pm

Good looking women should not be hired for anything other than Hooters. Smart policy.

RayX quit
12/24/12 12:28 pm

She had the right to quit because he was to hot, not hot, a creep or because her husband pressured her.

I still don't understand why that was the best job she could find. It sounds like she was well qualified.