Show Of Hands December 24th, 2012 12:00am

At the request of his wife, an Iowa dentist fired a female assistant because she was "irresistible and a threat to his marriage." She sued, claiming discrimination. The Iowa Supreme Court ruled in favor of the dentist. Good call?

blockfisher Clinton, CT
12/24/12 9:28 am

Or he could just stay faithful to his wife.

Tony SOH Founder
12/24/12 8:51 am

Stop trying to fire me for being irresistible!

Tony SOH Founder
12/24/12 4:46 pm

testing multiple notifications. please Like :)

mac Oregon
12/24/12 8:48 am

Bullcrap, fair employment should be based on performance on the job and not this guys woody. She was shafted without due process and criteria of employment. There need be always fair dismissal. Wake up.

RayX quit
12/24/12 9:44 am

He probably hired her for the same reason he fired her.

yepnope Maryland
12/24/12 9:43 am

The dentist wanted to bang her and didn't trust HIS control of HIS urges so he fired HER?! It's incredible that people side with the dentist over her; am I missing something? Are there really this many sexist people on this app?

whatnow
12/24/12 9:13 am

She should have sued for sexual harassment instead. He was telling her her appearance made a "bulge in his pants" and likened her body to Lamborgini. Inappropriate talk from him and she gets fired?! To "save his marriage". What a creep. Creepy employer, creepy husband, creepy dentist.

godcyanide Probably gone for good
12/24/12 9:31 am

The boss can't control himself, so he fires a long-term employee? That sounds like the boss, not the employee, is the one with the problem. I *love* how people solve internal problems by blaming others for them. No, nothing wrong with me, it's all YOUR fault my penis wants to stick you. Disgusting.

Bradtx Texas
12/24/12 8:33 am

Employers should be able to hire and fire whoever they want for whatever reason they see fit. Affirmative action is a hindrance to economic growth.

StubinFried
12/24/12 8:40 am

And how long will it be before employers start using that dumbass excuse to fire any woman they don't like? This is sexism, plain and simple. I doubt if the Iowa court had even one woman on it that this would have happened! Are women supposed to wear burquas now for fear of being found attractive?

colematts Buffalo, New York
12/24/12 10:04 am

I am thoroughly disgusted that 40% of people on this app agreed with the court's decision. Let me make this simple. It doesn't matter if she "tried" to turn him on. It's the same tired argument that if you're wearing a skirt you're asking to be raped. C'mon people.

magnum
12/24/12 9:43 am

It's pathetic is what it is. What a joke of a man.

poliscigi Brooklyn
12/24/12 10:26 am

For the record, she did not come on to him. She's married also. He just was falling for her, and his wife got jealous. Selfish jerk. You need cause to fire an employee, and your failed marriage isn't a cause.

curtron basement of the Alamo
12/24/12 8:48 am

Take a couple days off Tony. Enjoy your family and the holidays, you've earned it.

chemist2016
12/24/12 9:23 am

So let me get this straight a dentist fired an assistant because she was beautiful and his insecure wife was scared of her. Where is the justice this women has no job because she is beautiful. That is sickening

EarlyBird Portland
12/24/12 9:30 am

He shouldn't have hired her in the first place if he can't trust himself around beautiful women.

RJ1969 SoCal
12/24/12 2:31 pm

if this is what's necessary to save his marriage then his marriage isn't worth a damn.

palindrome California
12/24/12 2:33 pm

Maybe he should've closed his business down. Never know when a good-looking client is going to come in.

shannynh Arizona via SF Bay Area
12/24/12 9:59 am

What makes it worse is that she had worked for him for 10 years before he fired her.

onthenine Da Burg
12/25/12 1:15 am

How stupid. He can't keep it in his pants so she's fired. Typical.

Burned Missouri
12/24/12 9:42 am

She wasnt fired for her work she was fired for looks. Thats the definition of discrimination. Id bet $500 that if she was a minority she wouldve won

RJ1969 SoCal
12/24/12 2:37 pm

did you see her picture? and this guy can't control himself? she's sooo beguiling that she's responsible for him wanting to cheat on his wife? this is utterly laughable! is this like the woman's fault for getting raped because she wore a pretty dress?

palindrome California
12/24/12 3:13 pm

Merry Christmas everyone.

No matter what side of an issue you are, I hope you have a great Christmas with you and yours. Don't let stuff said on this app ruin your day. Hope you all come back real soon and rejoin the great royal rumble that is SoH

rastamonsta
12/24/12 10:02 am

So you don't have self control and compensate by firing someone who is "irresistible".
Who's to say that girl is in desperate need of that job and he's fired her for being attractive.
You shouldn't play with people's lives like that.

whatnow
12/24/12 9:15 am

I hope he loses lots of patients over this. He should move to a country where the women all wear burkhas so he and his wife are more comfortable

suppressedID suck it Kyle
12/24/12 2:22 pm

Ooooh, goody! A time-travel map!

Look, it's still 1912 in the freak states. Please DO try and turn the century in our lifetimes.

Tony SOH Founder
12/24/12 5:15 pm

Well - I did say "please" :-)

RJ1969 SoCal
12/24/12 2:48 pm

is it also going to be the Vaseline's fault when he gets caught masturbating in a public bathroom?

palindrome California
12/25/12 3:46 pm

You can't fire someone for "whatever reason you want". People who keep insisting this are clearly ignorant of the law. Just because you own a business does not mean you get to do whatever you want. It just doesn't work that way. I don't even know where people got such an idea from.

silea
12/24/12 12:50 pm

An attractive person is a threat to your marriage the same way a tasty piece of cake is a threat to your diet. It's you, and your lack of willpower. No one really blames the cake. Why blame the woman?

JennaF sunflower state of mind
12/24/12 10:01 am

If he can't control himself, then that's HIS issue. He can't fire her for that.

babyDruth Kansas
12/24/12 12:13 pm

I'm too sexy for my job, too sexy for my job...

Loadmaster Sacto
12/24/12 10:40 pm

We don't always agree, and sometimes we get flat out ugly. But Merry Christmas to all you SoHers out there. It's YOU that make this app great. And Tony in some small part ;) From the bottom of my heart guys, Happy Holidays.

palindrome California
12/26/12 1:02 pm

Why do you find the need to bring up my name for no other reason except to troll me and two, to then like your own comment? How sad is that!

kris1107 Wisconsin
12/24/12 11:30 pm

If the wife is worried about him cheating with an employee, she shouldn't be married to him in the first place. Marriage is about trust and loyalty. If I were the woman fired I would be happy not to get in the middle of a bad marriage. If he's going to cheat he's gonna cheat...employee or not.

mrmc2
12/24/12 10:06 am

I believe that she is currently working in a restaurant, so it didn't turn out so well for her. I hope this guys loses his practice; I wouldn't want him practicing on me or especially my wife.

steelcity Pittsburgh
12/24/12 11:16 am

Discrimination is a farce. If I own my own practice I will hire and fire any person I please. Gay straight black white poor rich male female christian muslim. The only motive I should need is I don't like you.

Catman62
12/24/12 3:42 pm

The dentist's wife must have been afraid he was drilling more than just teeth...

RJ1969 SoCal
12/24/12 7:34 pm

has anyone read some of the comments the dentist made to her? I have no idea why she didn't sue for harassment. By all accounts, this guy is a pig. It's just a matter of time until he gets into more trouble.

RebeIFury76
12/24/12 10:26 am

No thanks, I'm looking for LESS government meddling not more.

As a business owner myself I should have the right to hire who I want otherwise I DON'T "own" my business. If the government decides my rules then they own it. That's not freedom. No thank you.

RJ1969 SoCal
12/24/12 10:26 pm

well, apparently she doesn't have a right to work because a perv can't control himself and was ordered by his wife to fire her.

Loadmaster Sacto
12/24/12 10:50 am

As an employer he has a right to terminate her for any reason he wishes, or no reason at all, so long as he isn't breaking the law. If I had an employee I was attracted to and it threatened my marriage, I'd fire her w/o hesitation. But I'd at least give her a severance and a glowing recommendation.

palindrome California
12/24/12 2:44 pm

This is EXACTLY the same train of thought. The same train of thought that gave us this year's greats like "Trayvon Martin shouldn't have looked so menacing in his hoodie"

cws
12/24/12 6:56 pm

Obviously it's the woman's fault for being too attractive, not the man's for not being able to resist himself.

yepnope Maryland
12/24/12 10:05 am

Republicans are 50/50 on this one... 50% of you need teleported back to the 1800's so you can live in paradise where blacks do your work for nothing and women are just toys for men and neither could vote.

TheMadScientist the mad laboratory
12/24/12 10:09 am

Any basis except race, ethnicity, religion, gender, old age, etc. etc.

RebeIFury76
12/24/12 10:09 am

A private employer has the supreme right to employ or not employ anyone as they see fit.

Yes, even if its discriminatory. That's how it should be. I wouldn't want I work for a closeted bigot anyway.

His business, his rules.

RebeIFury76
12/24/12 10:10 am

Thank God unions haven't perpetrated every sector. They're nothing short of organized crime outfits

Doopy Remedial Americanism
12/24/12 9:26 pm

It was probably the dentist's wife who was presuming.

wiildkat Propertarian
12/27/12 8:31 am

An employer should be able to hire and fire anyone he/she wants for whatever reason.