Show Of Hands December 24th, 2012 12:00am

At the request of his wife, an Iowa dentist fired a female assistant because she was "irresistible and a threat to his marriage." She sued, claiming discrimination. The Iowa Supreme Court ruled in favor of the dentist. Good call?

cduttwolf Middle Earth
12/31/12 11:32 am

My goodness! You're just out to get palindrome aren't ya?

iwishyoulovedlife Cruithne, the second moon
12/30/12 8:09 am

That's ridiculous! She got fired because she was pretty? That's ridiculous!

july475
12/30/12 7:51 am

I read about it and it is by far the dumbest court win ever the whole thing sounds like straight out of the onion

Snikt
12/29/12 5:23 pm

Yeah, since I'm a jealous person with very low self esteem, I would want my husband do fire an attractive worker.

besmart
12/28/12 11:30 am

I commented very early on with minimal facts and changed my mind. Dentist a jerk and she should file a harassment law suit. Gotta get those facts before I mouth off!

meredith
12/28/12 8:10 am

There's no federal law that bans discrimination based on sexual orientation.

codigirl
12/28/12 2:09 am

She didnt try to screw the boss. Both the husband and wife admitted the employee never even engaged in flirtatious behavior. This was all because he just found her attractive.

truthandcuriosity
12/27/12 8:57 pm

AT THE REQUEST OF HIS WIFE cant fight that.

aria25
12/27/12 7:31 pm

What a pig. Hope he goes out of business.

truth1 Florida
12/27/12 4:15 pm

Palindrome - what a sad little racist troll

jedigdi
12/27/12 1:34 pm

Why would a co. hire someone, then fire them because of their race, gender or age? They knew you were a 20-something year old, Asian female when they hired you, but then they decided to fire you for it too..?

And forcing a racist/sexist employer to hire someone they hate, today, is counterintuitive

cowboy Dog Lives Matter
12/27/12 1:13 pm

Palindrome Don't you support the Black Panthers? They're all for segregation. But I'm sure you know that already.

palindrome California
12/27/12 11:52 am

Isn't that what you're saying? Hey, segregation was a good thing. It was a law that let people discriminate right? That's what you said. It used to be a compliment.

People should be able to keep things away from others... That's what you said lol

NYevo NY
12/27/12 10:36 am

Not only shouldn't they be able to fire people for non-work related issues, in many instances they can't (race, ethnicity, gender, age, and several other protected statuses). Power to the people. Democracy protects

wiildkat Propertarian
12/27/12 8:31 am

An employer should be able to hire and fire anyone he/she wants for whatever reason.

NYevo NY
12/27/12 7:09 am

I'm glad we build up the laws as we go to protect people from getting fired over things like this. Hard working, everyday Joe-type people protecting themselves from the whims of the powerful is precisely why we make laws. Democracy baby! Deal with it

pinkyusuck The Carribean. I wish.
12/27/12 6:11 am

Troll much, palindrome?

BetaMax
12/27/12 12:55 am

They didn't set vodka in front of an alcoholic. The alcoholic knowingly purchased the vodka himself.

BetaMax
12/27/12 12:48 am

And you were on here long enough to notice it.

susanr Colorado
12/26/12 10:44 pm

And Kelly, I agree that the courts have the facts and we don't. I'm generally pretty cautious about making assumptions about what went on in a courtroom - they have to go by ONLY the facts & evidence presented. Still, I'm just answering based on what we've been given, not legally binding. =:-)

susanr Colorado
12/26/12 10:39 pm

...oh, never mind; sorry, I see now that I've already said this right here, and you've replied to it. I just think it would be the humane and ethical thing to do. FIRING is so punitive, leaves a bad impression for future employment, and is degrading. He could have done MUCH better.

susanr Colorado
12/26/12 10:36 pm

Kelly, the alternative, in my opinion, is that he should not have fired her in the first place. He KNEW it wasn't her fault (going by the news articles I've read, which is all we have to go on). Realizing he could not work with her in the same office, he should have done his damnedest to help her...

Titothedog Texas
12/26/12 8:56 pm

His business his decision. I'm sure she was looking for a job when she found one.

palindrome California
12/26/12 8:28 pm

Whites and Blacks should be separate folks! It's fo they own gewd!!!

indygirl Oregon
12/26/12 8:03 pm

On the fence on this one. It would have been better if he would have contacted his professional contacts to see if he could have helped her with employment elsewhere.

pinkyusuck The Carribean. I wish.
12/26/12 7:57 pm

Folks should be able to discriminate if they so choose. That's freedom baby!

pinkyusuck The Carribean. I wish.
12/26/12 7:54 pm

@Jack, that's a good joke! You know how to make me chuckle.

pinkyusuck The Carribean. I wish.
12/26/12 7:52 pm

Folk should be able to discriminate if they so choose. Describing an individual as 'discriminating' used to be a compliment.

meeksb11
12/26/12 6:27 pm

Yeah & she couldve been hired for her looks as well. I mean come on, this happens all the time. Do you see any men at hooters? Flat chested women? You can hire & fire whoever you want, thats America.

JackTorS SOH Flounder
12/26/12 5:59 pm

truth1-
I can't speak for everyone, but I for one appreciate the intelligent, civil, well thought through arguments presented by a choice few in this app. Including palindrome.

palindrome California
12/26/12 3:59 pm

Nah, doesn't take as long for me to formulate a 300 character thought as it does for you. Takes about a few seconds.

Gotta wonder though, how bad could your Christmas have been that you would rather spend it being a troll? And you've been trolling me hard too. Smh I'm sorry... Really, I am.

Doopy Remedial Americanism
12/26/12 1:44 pm

I'm actually with palindrome on this one. No need to call someone out by name unless you're responding to a specific post, in which case, you reply.

Doopy Remedial Americanism
12/26/12 1:41 pm

Those arguments were as much a distortion as people who argue the value of human life to justify bombing abortion clinics.

Under the law, your person is treated as property. If property rights are truly respected, your person will be your property.

truth1 Florida
12/26/12 1:20 pm

Yeah, let's not have any laws! We'll just let you judge what's right based on your hormones! Yay!

truth1 Florida
12/26/12 1:18 pm

Palindrome spent her entire Christmas on this question MSG board. Too sad...

AnnieM The Island
12/26/12 1:14 pm

Seems like her case would have been MUCH stronger if sexual harassment had been included. I don't have all the details of the case, but I really have to wonder about the competence of her lawyer.

AnnieM The Island
12/26/12 1:13 pm

I really have to wonder why she didn't sue for both gender discrimination AND sexual harassment. It's not like you can only sue someone for one thing at a time and it's not like a judge (or several judges) have to award damages on an all-or-nothing basis.

palindrome California
12/26/12 1:02 pm

Why do you find the need to bring up my name for no other reason except to troll me and two, to then like your own comment? How sad is that!

palindrome California
12/26/12 1:00 pm

In slavery, people were property. There's plenty of evidence showing the "property rights" argument from people who argued for slavery.

Mud Constitutionalist
12/26/12 11:37 am

Don't try to screw the boss or you set screwed.

truth1 Florida
12/26/12 11:04 am

Palindrome is a fanatic lol

RGirl
12/26/12 11:03 am

I mean you got to think, if she was male not female she wouldn't have been fired it is clear discrimination against her gender.

RGirl
12/26/12 11:01 am

That is so true.

cowboy Dog Lives Matter
12/26/12 10:42 am

No. The dentist should of told his petty jealous, ugly, probably fat, disgusting wife to keep out of his business and go make him a sandwich. I sincerely don't know how this made it to any serious courtroom. It should've been laughed out of court.

valibella
12/26/12 10:07 am

Even worse, the assistant was married and a mother of two.

HereticPilot101 Arkadelphia, AR
12/26/12 9:35 am

Working up your whole life to get a good paying job, and then get fired because you're good looking? Wow, the guy should have been fired.

Doopy Remedial Americanism
12/26/12 9:03 am

Exactly. What this guy did was dumb and probably wrong. (I don't know the whole story.) But the greater wrong would be to make it illegal, because it is an invasion of his rights.