Show Of Hands December 24th, 2012 12:00am

At the request of his wife, an Iowa dentist fired a female assistant because she was "irresistible and a threat to his marriage." She sued, claiming discrimination. The Iowa Supreme Court ruled in favor of the dentist. Good call?

dabrat East Coast
12/24/12 12:28 pm

Utterly ridiculous! If their marriage cannot survive him keeping it in his pants no firings are gonna help. You cannot control the outside world to fit you or your marriage's insecurities. I feel bad for the woman.

RJ1969 SoCal
12/24/12 12:27 pm

I dunno....would have to check her out to be sure.

tommysq Chicagoland
12/24/12 12:23 pm

Imagine how hot she was 10 years ago when he first hired her. Giggity!

12/24/12 12:21 pm

His wife didn't "make" him do it. She encouraged him to do so. And women can be discriminatory towards other women. And the "Boy's Club" I was referring to was the Iowa Supreme Court.

tommysq Chicagoland
12/24/12 12:18 pm

Stay in OK, please.

You think it's ok to discriminate age and gender?

12/24/12 12:17 pm

that you go to a higher-up with the information if possible, and/or tell the harasser that their conduct is inappropriate and that they need to stop in a documentable way.

12/24/12 12:16 pm

admit my gut reaction would to, like her, ignore the messages and hope he stopped or got the hint. I'm also thankful that in preparation for my degree (a strongly female dominated profession) several of the professors & advisors made sure we knew that you never, ever ignore a harassing comment and…

12/24/12 12:16 pm

Loadmaster- he very clearly sexually harassed her. I was thinking the same thing as Jonny when I read articles on the subject.
I wish that when he texted her inappropriate and harassing things she'd texted back or emailed him to tell him it was inappropriate and that he needed to stop.
I have to…

lmurder MDK
12/24/12 12:16 pm

Guys looking out for his business and family. Smart man and smart court.

babyDruth Kansas
12/24/12 12:13 pm

I'm too sexy for my job, too sexy for my job...

JackTorS Clap you stupid bastards
12/24/12 12:10 pm

I guess you have to draw the line somewhere. Is Knight weak? Probably. Those text messages were innocuous for the most part, but it's a slippery slope.
He's still smart enough to know that if he wanted to save his marriage, and his practice for that matter, Nelson had to go.

Strength
12/24/12 12:02 pm

That's a very ridiculous reason to fire someone. I'd sue too, but I don't know if it was discrimination exactly.

12/24/12 12:00 pm

It doesn't matter, though, because dressing inappropriately was NOT the reason he fired her.

12/24/12 11:59 am

Even though there seems to be evidence that he asked her to dress more professionally, there is also evidence that he asked her to do so in a highly inappropriate way (maybe he asked her more appropriately as well, I don't know).

12/24/12 11:55 am

he'd have an affair with her if she weren't fired first.

(on a side note, it sounds to me like either the dentist assumed he was equally or even more "irresistible" or missed the concept that an affair must be consensual for both parties)

12/24/12 11:54 am

It wasn't entirely in the wife's head, but it was the dentist coming on to the assistant, not the other way around. He texted her very inappropriate things, like asking how often she orgasmed, (and if that's what he texted, imagine the things he said) & even told the assistant's husband he feared…

poliscigi Brooklyn
12/24/12 11:54 am

Also, this is an all-male Supreme Court, who are there because Iowa voters were pissed off when the previous judges legalized same-sex marriage, and got voted out. Way to be pro-family, Iowa voters.

trucktipper1
12/24/12 11:50 am

discrimination is illegal whether a business is hiring or firing. look it up. that said, this is not discrimination, so i side with the dentist and the court.

TiltonAllStarz Outside Ur Comfort Zone
12/24/12 11:50 am

You can't fire her for being a hottie!

MrWolfe Nashville
12/24/12 11:49 am

I find it rather ridiculous that a doctor would fire staff because of attractiveness & 'distraction' unless she dressed inappropriately purposefully. Sounds as if he has a self-control problem.
Still; it's his practice. The court has no choice but to allow him to make personnel decisions in my view.

12/24/12 11:48 am

Either way being a certain gender or a certain level of attractiveness (or unattractiveness) is decidedly NOT a requirement of the job of dental assistant.

12/24/12 11:48 am

Along with what Beta says, people HAVE gotten "up in arms" about Hooters hiring practices. They claimed that being female and attractive is necessary to the job. It was upheld, though much of the public doesn't agree with the decision…

christine1986
12/24/12 11:46 am

Is it a messed up reason to fire someone YES. But employers reserve the right to hire and fire whoever they want. It wasn't technically sexual discrimination because he didn't fire her for being a woman and he hired another woman in her place. He's a total d bag though and it's sick and wrong.

ShinShin41
12/24/12 11:45 am

Guess there's more to the story...Tony should of worded this poll differently. With the emails and texts it doesn't seem like it was just because the wife thought she was too pretty...

KudosToYou California
12/24/12 11:42 am

Keep the unions, deal with the corruption.

TideGal CFL
12/24/12 11:42 am

I wonder what this dentist looks like.....

Bev
12/24/12 11:42 am

He was texting her asking about her orgasms.... He should be sued for sexual harassment.

ShinShin41
12/24/12 11:42 am

See that makes more sense than.

TideGal CFL
12/24/12 11:41 am

Yes there is. It is the same as firing someone because they are unattractive.

ShinShin41
12/24/12 11:41 am

Firing people for no good reason is wrong. Being "too pretty" is the stupidest reason I've ever heard. Had she been coming on to him or something like that I could understand. But, come on people...his wife obviously has trust issues.

TideGal CFL
12/24/12 11:40 am

I guess the dentist's wife was afraid her husband could not keep it his pants. I wonder if she was his hygienist prior to their marriage.

LucentInsanity Seattle
12/24/12 11:39 am

I agree with fhe court; It doesn't go against any form of civil rights acts. But the assistant has worked for him for 10 years with no issues, the only reason the wife had problems now was because she saw personal emails talking about their families, who does talk with casual coworkers.

chile safer than congress
12/24/12 11:38 am

His private practice. It doesn't matter if she was pretty or ugly. If he choose to terminate her employment, that's up to him.

If this had been public position, the ruling would have been different. Crying over discrimination is pointless.

RebeIFury76
12/24/12 11:37 am

Wrong word AND spelling.

Well done.

12/24/12 11:37 am

From the articles I read (though, admittedly, they may not be telling the whole story) it sounded like him that was harassing her. He told her "If you can see a bulge in my pants, then you know your clothes are too tight." and he once texted her asking how often she orgasamed.

TiltonAllStarz Outside Ur Comfort Zone
12/24/12 11:36 am

Go burn a bra. His wife... A woman... Made him do it. "Boys Club"? Stop it. You're embarrassing yourself. I side with the woman... You can't fire her for being a hottie. Wether his wife likes it or not. The dentist is a fool for allowing himself to be his wife's puppet. End of discussion.

12/24/12 11:33 am

views were not the views of his denomination at large. I feel like any pastor worth listening to would encourage taking responsibility for your own actions & exerting self-control over your own self rather than blaming & punishing someone else for thoughts & actions that are yours alone.

12/24/12 11:32 am

one man, the dentist) are not a frame of mind of an uncivilized bygone era. There are still Boy's Clubs that prevent justice all over this country.

The fact that this man's pastor encouraged him to fire the woman to save his marriage and purity of thought is just sickening. I hope this pastor's…

12/24/12 11:31 am

I read a few articles on this out of curiosity and it seems to me to be a clear-cut case of discrimination on the part of the dentist and the state's Supreme Court.
This case seems to me to be proof that the days of blaming women for the feelings or actions that are the fault of men (in this case…

chivalry74
12/24/12 11:30 am

I own the business so I hire and fire who I please. The government needs to stay the hell out of my business. Literally! By the way, Merry Christmas :-)

raspberry
12/24/12 11:28 am

That's fine. I believe in freedom and the American dream.

jonny323
12/24/12 11:27 am

I it is true that he asked her to stop dressing I appropriately, that changes the entire question. Then he has every right to fire her for continuously dressing inappropriately in a professional setting. There's a big difference between being attractive and being inappropriate.

FacelessWonder
12/24/12 11:24 am

If this makes it to the Supreme Court they will rule in her flavour.

ladyniner81 I need chocolate
12/24/12 11:24 am

unions are rife with corrupt higher ups..get rid of them

lanceparke
12/24/12 11:22 am

If I were her husband, I'd walk up and shake the dentist hand. Thank him for doing the right thing

wetheslaves Live each moment fully
12/24/12 11:21 am

Not a healthy situation. Did he give her time to find another job? This sounds like a raw deal for a hard working faithful employee. It sounds like the wife's and husbands issues resulted in her loss.

jonny323
12/24/12 11:21 am

That is not true. You need a reason to fire someone, or you have to lay them off in which case you can't hire someone else for that position without first offering them their job back.

Loadmaster Sacto
12/24/12 11:21 am

Frivolous lawsuits hurt more than help in any case

lanceparke
12/24/12 11:21 am

Also, he asked her to stop dressing like she did and she kept doing it