Show Of Hands December 24th, 2012 12:00am

At the request of his wife, an Iowa dentist fired a female assistant because she was "irresistible and a threat to his marriage." She sued, claiming discrimination. The Iowa Supreme Court ruled in favor of the dentist. Good call?

TempName14 Everywhere but nowhere
12/24/12 11:20 am

People should be able to discriminate on any basis they choose except race. Being pretty is not a protected status. It's always wise to protect the marriage at any cost.

lanceparke
12/24/12 11:19 am

@homesick part of being strong is knowing when to avoid situations where you are weak

jonny323
12/24/12 11:18 am

She should have sued for sexual harassment. She probably would have won that one.

Fact FL
12/24/12 11:18 am

This user is currently being ignored

steelcity Pittsburgh
12/24/12 11:16 am

Discrimination is a farce. If I own my own practice I will hire and fire any person I please. Gay straight black white poor rich male female christian muslim. The only motive I should need is I don't like you.

PurpleAsh Nowhere Land, CO
12/24/12 11:14 am

My bad "another WIFE APPROVED woman". =)

Loadmaster Sacto
12/24/12 11:14 am

I wish there was a dislike button that didn't require me to like this first.

PurpleAsh Nowhere Land, CO
12/24/12 11:14 am

He replaced her with another woman. So no, it's not gender discrimination.

Loadmaster Sacto
12/24/12 11:12 am

Shame is only for people who rely on the approval by others of their actions. The only people I seek approval from are my wife and son. I would never take an attraction too far, but if I did, part of the solution would be removing my attraction. It's my business, not hers, so she goes.

BetaMax
12/24/12 11:12 am

Unfortunately, unions are ripe with their own problems.

EarlyBird Portland
12/24/12 11:12 am

Wed- she is very happily married with a toddler at home. He never had a chance with her.
My guess is that the dentist would look at her often (he admitted she gave him woodies) and the wife was tired of seeing it.

FIAT2LUX On Planet Earth
12/24/12 11:12 am

Sad, but whatever. Not my business (pun intended). Lessons learned though:

1. Be careful to not be too attractive to your employer.

2. Be careful not to fall for someone if you're already married.

tosman pa
12/24/12 11:12 am

This is the exact reason we need unions . To prevent people from taking away someone's livelihood for no reason.

PurpleAsh Nowhere Land, CO
12/24/12 11:11 am

I completely agree and would also move my business elsewhere.

FRZNLGHT New York
12/24/12 11:10 am

Gender discrimination. Look it up.

winfrey
12/24/12 11:10 am

The dentist has the right to fire any employee for any reason because he is the business owner

BetaMax
12/24/12 11:10 am

Slick, the hiring process is not the same as the firing process. Don't compare the two as if they are equal. Firing someone for discriminatory reasons is different from not hiring someone for the same reasons.

homeagain NWA
12/24/12 11:10 am

If you marriage is that weak...

BetaMax
12/24/12 11:08 am

Raspberry, you're taking this to an extreme that is not doing this argument any good for either side.

cyoung
12/24/12 11:08 am

At will employment. Look it up

eddiej Virginia
12/24/12 11:07 am

that is so messed up! it's not her fault she's attractive...

BetaMax
12/24/12 11:05 am

Do you have no shame or sense of responsibility to fix your own personal psychological problem?

jmw7477 Indiana
12/24/12 11:05 am

The wife needs to be more confident in herself. The dentist needs to be more reassuring. Not everyone is attracted to the same thing. This opens too many doors for too many things.

BetaMax
12/24/12 11:04 am

That is not what we value. If that's how you interpret these results, then you are interpreting them wrong.

We value individual responsibility and the duty of a citizen to identify and correct their own inappropriate behavior instead of punishing innocent for their own failure to do so.

raspberry
12/24/12 11:03 am

In order to get ahead, you must have something others don't have. That's not "giving up". That's striving to better yourself in a competitive world.

raspberry
12/24/12 11:03 am

Beta, imagine life being "fair".
Everyone receiving the same amount of money.
Everyone working the same amount of hours.
Everyone following the same rules.
Everyone's businesses being regulated by the government.
Oh wait.. that sounds an awful lot like communism.

RebeIFury76
12/24/12 10:57 am

I would discourage others in the community from going to him. Do not underestimate the power of boycotts and reputations in small towns.

I would absolutely have the same views. I own a business and hire who I please based on my needs based on qualifications only.

Loadmaster Sacto
12/24/12 10:55 am

If I was I would have said so. My private practice, my rules. If I was being supported by the state somehow, my decision would be different

tommysq Chicagoland
12/24/12 10:54 am

Fine, but he will pay the price. If that's my dentist, I would have already called his office to have my records transferred to a different dentist. The other dentists in town are probably very happy with his decision.

RebeIFury76
12/24/12 10:53 am

He should absolutely be allowed to run his business how he sees fit.

YOU don't get to control HIS business THROUGH government.

That's not what America is about. That's not the nation I would want to live in. Stop trying to control other people.

lanceparke
12/24/12 10:52 am

I think it's sad that we as a society value a job over two marriages!

BetaMax
12/24/12 10:52 am

Are you kidding me?

BetaMax
12/24/12 10:51 am

I would argue that being discriminatory during the hiring process, as Hooters is, is quite different from being discriminatory in the firing process, as is the case here.

dustbunny
12/24/12 10:50 am

Although I'm in favor of employers being able to hire and fire whomever they want I think in this instance the dentist and his wife were wrong for firing her for being too cute.
Was she coming on to the dentist? It sounds like it was all in the wife's head. Her problem if the hubby is a horn dog.

Loadmaster Sacto
12/24/12 10:50 am

As an employer he has a right to terminate her for any reason he wishes, or no reason at all, so long as he isn't breaking the law. If I had an employee I was attracted to and it threatened my marriage, I'd fire her w/o hesitation. But I'd at least give her a severance and a glowing recommendation.

tommysq Chicagoland
12/24/12 10:49 am

If this guy wasn't such an A hole, he would have helped her find another job. Ya know, maybe communicate the issues with his wife and the cute hygienist. That's how real people would have dealt with it. This guy is a twat.

BetaMax
12/24/12 10:48 am

Slick1776, I can't help but wonder if you would still feel the same way had it been you, or, say, your daughter that had been fired so unjustly. Instead of cowering at the idea of the government stepping in, grow a pair and do something to right a wrong against an innocent woman.

BetaMax
12/24/12 10:47 am

Slick1776, it's about unjust discrimination. You argue that the government has no place in this, but I see no reason why the government should NOT step in. Does he have rights? Of course. And I wouldn't want those taken away. But he lost an innocent girl her job for no reason but his own insecurity.

PurpleAsh Nowhere Land, CO
12/24/12 10:43 am

@tommy Its a business. End of story. What they sell doesn't matter the business is able to choose who they want to hire. Period.

PeppyHare Do a barrel roll
12/24/12 10:43 am

This guy needs to learn to control himself. Everyone likes a little eye candy around the office but don't go acting like a horny teenager.

BetaMax
12/24/12 10:42 am

I love how the "life isn't fair" line is used as a counter-argument all the time, as if its a valid reason not to improve.

Just because life often isn't fair doesn't mean we can't try to make it less unfair. In fact, I think doing so is a noble cause.

But I guess you can just give up too.

supereliguy Andromeda
12/24/12 10:42 am

Insanity. If you're paying someone, you can fire them for whatever reason you want.

PizzaRules
12/24/12 10:41 am

There's no law against be discriminated against for being a sexy beast!

tommysq Chicagoland
12/24/12 10:41 am

It's a dentist office, not Hooters.

PurpleAsh Nowhere Land, CO
12/24/12 10:41 am

Hooters won't hire women who are larger than a stick. If you can't fit into size 0 orange booty shorts forget it. However they are still in business and no one is up in arms. It's up to the business to decide who they hire and if we don't like it then we shouldn't go to that business anymore.

tommysq Chicagoland
12/24/12 10:40 am

So she got fired because he didn't THINK he could keep his thing in his pants? Makes sense. NOT. This dentist is going to lose his business. If I'm the hygienist, I would destroy his business and then leave that poor ass state.

RebeIFury76
12/24/12 10:40 am

It has nothing to do with being sexist. Why do liberals always cry bigotry? Is that all you can bring to any discussion?

It's about private individual rights. His business. His rules. End of story. You don't own it. The govt doesn't own it. Society doesn't own it. He does. Get over it.

Zod Above Pugetropolis
12/24/12 10:40 am

Somebody is better off getting fired than staying in this scenario, and the guy that cuts the pay checks probably won't fire himself. When I saw the story on TV I had two thoughts. First, dude, get some standards! Second, how'd you like to be the replacement, ugly enough to be wife-approved.

Evseng2
12/24/12 10:39 am

I'm with ya! He could've made up a different reason to fire her

cwleduc
12/24/12 10:39 am

I wouldn't want to work for such a perv anyway.