Show Of Hands December 24th, 2012 12:00am

At the request of his wife, an Iowa dentist fired a female assistant because she was "irresistible and a threat to his marriage." She sued, claiming discrimination. The Iowa Supreme Court ruled in favor of the dentist. Good call?

gmw
12/24/12 10:39 am

it's his business...what about all the restaurants that only hire extremely attractive woman?

RebeIFury76
12/24/12 10:39 am

I can't believe you think you own someone else's business!

At least that's the logical extension.

You-representative govt-private business.

You don't own others

DavesNotHere where am I
12/24/12 10:38 am

He should NOT be allowed to do it. Discrimination is supposed to be illegal.

timeout Boston Strong
12/24/12 10:38 am

Yes, after seeing story on TV I have to agree with the court.Apparently it was his wife that told him to fire her.He had been texting her a lot and said she was tempting him. Decision was it saved the marriage.
I'm all for workers rights but bottom line he being in private practice has that right.

BetaMax
12/24/12 10:38 am

Why? Why should he be allowed to do this? How is this fair to the woman who was fired?

This should be an example of the proper time for the government to step in and right a wrong. To protect an innocent citizen from unjust discrimination.

RebeIFury76
12/24/12 10:37 am

No shock seeing as how you live in the NannY state. It's not your fault, you just don't know any better.

DavesNotHere where am I
12/24/12 10:36 am

Defines discrimination. No different than firing someone because they're unattractive. Obviously the dentists wife doesn't trust her husband. And the Iowa Supreme Court is filled with huckleberry hillbillies. Idiots ...,,

RebeIFury76
12/24/12 10:34 am

Please let me explain. Do I agree with WHAT he did? No, not necessarily. Do I support his RIGHT TO DO IT? Yes.

I despize the Westboro BC but support their free speech rights.

Get it? I can support a right yet disagree with what someone does with it. Try it sometime. Try not controlling others.

yepnope Maryland
12/24/12 10:28 am

He should solve his own personal problems by himself instead if dishing them onto a lady who is only guilty of being pretty. He needs to take responsibility for his feelings. Or his wife needs counseling to help with her self esteem.

mammamia
12/24/12 10:27 am

And if he really wanted to fire her, he could have made up a better reason than that! Even though he is a dentist, he's still an idiot for not thinking enough about the consequences he will face.

RebeIFury76
12/24/12 10:26 am

No thanks, I'm looking for LESS government meddling not more.

As a business owner myself I should have the right to hire who I want otherwise I DON'T "own" my business. If the government decides my rules then they own it. That's not freedom. No thank you.

poliscigi Brooklyn
12/24/12 10:26 am

For the record, she did not come on to him. She's married also. He just was falling for her, and his wife got jealous. Selfish jerk. You need cause to fire an employee, and your failed marriage isn't a cause.

mammamia
12/24/12 10:24 am

You can't fire someone because they're pretty or ugly, that doesn't makes sense. It's the dentist fault if he resists to the temptations of his assistant, not the other way around.

cbbfle Nashville, TN
12/24/12 10:21 am

So he should leave his own practice?

glorfindel
12/24/12 10:21 am

It was wrong, but he should be allowed to do it. It's not the government's business.

RebeIFury76
12/24/12 10:21 am

Lets all remember it was likely his WIFE putting pressure on him, you know, a WOMAN.

Anyone who would sacrifice an otherwise, as far as we know, happy marriage for an employee is LYING.

cbbfle Nashville, TN
12/24/12 10:19 am

If she is a big threat to his marriage, he can't continue spending every day with her. So... She is fired, or the dentist leaves his own practice?

yepnope Maryland
12/24/12 10:18 am

No, not in America. Move to the china if it's such a drag for you as a citizen to have rights protecting you from being screwed over by your employer. We don't live in a purely capitalistic society for good reasons.

RebeIFury76
12/24/12 10:16 am

You may not agree with it which is why if you live in the area you are free to take your business elsewhere.

It's not your business (physically) nor is it your business (as a matter of the circumstances).

TheMadScientist the mad laboratory
12/24/12 10:16 am

My job makes it clear you can be fired for any reason, including "a manager of another department not liking you that day." I've seen it, too. Someone got fired because they accidentally bumped into someone he'd never seen before (a manager) and said "sorry" instead of "sorry, sir." We are "at-will"

Bekka Just relaxing...
12/24/12 10:13 am

The problem is that the lawsuit asked the wrong question. Technically, it was not gender discrimination, as he replaced her with another woman and only hires woman. But it was despicable...

EarlyBird Portland
12/24/12 10:13 am

I hope on the "are you more creative than average" poll, you answered yes!

shooglenifty Texas
12/24/12 10:11 am

Yes, I can attest from experience that we husbands become supernaturally above temptation as soon as we don the wedding band. /sarc off

RebeIFury76
12/24/12 10:10 am

Thank God unions haven't perpetrated every sector. They're nothing short of organized crime outfits

RebeIFury76
12/24/12 10:09 am

A private employer has the supreme right to employ or not employ anyone as they see fit.

Yes, even if its discriminatory. That's how it should be. I wouldn't want I work for a closeted bigot anyway.

His business, his rules.

MrFred
12/24/12 10:09 am

Doesn't Idaho have fire at will laws?

TheMadScientist the mad laboratory
12/24/12 10:09 am

Any basis except race, ethnicity, religion, gender, old age, etc. etc.

TheMadScientist the mad laboratory
12/24/12 10:08 am

If she were in a union, things would be very different for her right now.

TheMadScientist the mad laboratory
12/24/12 10:07 am

I can't believe anyone thinks they have a right to be any way they wish, but that others don't have the same rights. Fact is, you can fire someone for a bad hair cut. It is bad business sense, but you can.

shooglenifty Texas
12/24/12 10:07 am

Actually it has nothing to do with that. It is his private business and he should be able to hire and fire on any basis he wants.

yepnope Maryland
12/24/12 10:06 am

Actually you should go back to the 1500s so you can yell at Galileo for using science to prove the church wrong in thinking the universe revolves around us (you selfish bastards). You can hit him with sticks and call him a heretic for challenging your ignorant beliefs.. Hahasorry that was off topic

mrmc2
12/24/12 10:06 am

I believe that she is currently working in a restaurant, so it didn't turn out so well for her. I hope this guys loses his practice; I wouldn't want him practicing on me or especially my wife.

yepnope Maryland
12/24/12 10:05 am

Republicans are 50/50 on this one... 50% of you need teleported back to the 1800's so you can live in paradise where blacks do your work for nothing and women are just toys for men and neither could vote.

raspberry
12/24/12 10:05 am

It's not the government's problem, it's a personal problem with the man.

colematts Buffalo, New York
12/24/12 10:04 am

I am thoroughly disgusted that 40% of people on this app agreed with the court's decision. Let me make this simple. It doesn't matter if she "tried" to turn him on. It's the same tired argument that if you're wearing a skirt you're asking to be raped. C'mon people.

raspberry
12/24/12 10:03 am

To all who are crying "that's not fair!": Life isn't fair. In a private practice an employer can hire or fire whomever they wish on a whim, and that's just how it is.

rastamonsta
12/24/12 10:02 am

So you don't have self control and compensate by firing someone who is "irresistible".
Who's to say that girl is in desperate need of that job and he's fired her for being attractive.
You shouldn't play with people's lives like that.

JennaF sunflower state of mind
12/24/12 10:01 am

If he can't control himself, then that's HIS issue. He can't fire her for that.

raspberry
12/24/12 10:00 am

@Mac it's not a myth. There are 3 teachers at the local K-8 school, 1 of which has been there for over 40 years, who simply can't be fired due to tenure. The 1 that has been there the longest is an awful teacher & they have to just keep putting her in classes like PE where she can do the least harm.

JennaF sunflower state of mind
12/24/12 9:59 am

I can't even beleive anyone said yes!!!

shannynh Arizona via SF Bay Area
12/24/12 9:59 am

What makes it worse is that she had worked for him for 10 years before he fired her.

godcyanide Probably gone for good
12/24/12 9:58 am

I was surprised at that, as well. But washing your hands of personal responsibility is a favorite pastime in America...

ksterk16 Oregon
12/24/12 9:58 am

That wife needs to calm the fuck down. If you can't trust your husband, you have much deeper marriage issues, and probably shouldn't have gotten married in the first place.

tdyakker lost
12/24/12 9:50 am

I think the problem was he was handling himself more then his wife liked and he wasn't thinking about her but the employee!

jimmyjelly BFE, PA
12/24/12 9:49 am

I am a total liberal.
I you work for a company or a corporation then you have to hold your standards higher.
If you own a private family run business , ( his wife worked there) you have the right to fire anyone for anything.

wetheslaves Live each moment fully
12/24/12 9:46 am

10 years is a long time to fantasize. She never did anything with him in 10 years? If she wanted him she could have easily done it in 10 years. It sounds like she rejected him and his wife noticed his increased efforts... What do you think?

gonzoboy Arizona