Show Of Hands November 17th, 2012 12:00am

California has begun implementing a "cap and trade" environmental protection program, in which companies purchase credits for their greenhouse gas emissions. Good plan?

bryank21
11/17/12 3:45 pm

Yes, 98% of scientists accept that humans contribute to climate change and they're all wrong. Can't argue with that logic. "Scientists say humans contribute to Global Warming; but f*** them, they're only scientists. What does the Bible say?" -Bill Maher

waytogo
11/17/12 3:45 pm

I've looked at dozens for my job. I know the facts. I gave you a reference and you persist so go ahead and bury your head in the sand I don't care.

11/17/12 3:44 pm

Then provide a citation!

Please, just one. I provided one and you refuse to look at it.

11/17/12 3:43 pm

BTW, you said it right....WE voted for it.

Unlike the fact that we only get back about 78 cents for every dollar we pay into the feds (and guess where that money goes?).

11/17/12 3:42 pm

Then let's see what happens.

bryank21
11/17/12 3:41 pm

It's hard to argue with people who don't value logic because you can't use logical arguments against them. Pretty much every scientist accepts that humans contribute to climate change. Even if you do think it's a myth, is the idea of a cleaner earth so terrible? Why don't people accept facts?

11/17/12 3:40 pm

I provided a link that from Sept 2011 to Sept 2012 CA ranked 10th in % job growth. It also added more jobs than anyone else. Those are things called FACTS. Try using them sometime.

waytogo
11/17/12 3:39 pm

Ugh! See below

roybiker12
11/17/12 3:39 pm

California has the 3rd worst unemployment rate of all U.S. states...but they just raised taxes again & are going for Cap & Trade. That should help employment.

waytogo
11/17/12 3:38 pm

RJ here you go.
www.forbes.com/sites/thomasdelbeccaro/2012/11/14/the-worst-is-yet-to-come-for-california/

This is a day off for me and I'm watching Notre Dame kick Wake Forest's A$$. There's thousands of reputable articles not from liberal blogs. Indulge yourself.

11/17/12 3:38 pm

Is the pop of CA decreasing? No.
Is there a net loss of jobs in CA? No.

If you can show mw otherwise, please....post the links (like I have to show you you're wrong).

11/17/12 3:36 pm

You research it, huh? how about providing a link to source material then?

11/17/12 3:35 pm

Yeah the NY Times and the NC Times are pretty much the same thing.

waytogo
11/17/12 3:32 pm

It is true, I research thing like this for a living.

11/17/12 3:31 pm

CA is shrinking? Got any facts to support that claim?

wpcarey.asu.edu/bluechip/jobgrowth/jgu_states.cfm

waytogo
11/17/12 3:31 pm

And shrinking... Go figure.

11/17/12 3:28 pm

yeah, except it is the 8th largest economy in the world.

waytogo
11/17/12 3:28 pm

Only more radical.

SGTHOOAH
11/17/12 3:27 pm

@dogg. That is a great point that by causing companies to be more clean will produce jobs to make them more clean, but is it worth it for the economy? If I was a business in Cali and I could move to Arizona and run my business cheaper I would. So why do we keep having anti cooperation laws?

roybiker12
11/17/12 3:26 pm

California = Greece without the nice islands.

waytogo
11/17/12 3:21 pm

#4 in a NYTimes article titled Top 10 Reasons Why Companies Are Leaving California is California has the worst regulatory burden naming this cap-and-trade nonsense as the main cause. Google it if you wish to learn more.

veritas1 Panda
11/17/12 3:21 pm

Neil DeGrasse Tyson pointed that out. Forgot the exact quote.

evo Tampa
11/17/12 3:20 pm

There is an interesting TED talk out there that puts a dollar price and value on the natural services of the planet that industry takes advantage of for free...except those services can and are being harmed in the process...there needs to be systems like this to promote sustainable growth

veritas1 Panda
11/17/12 3:20 pm

Climate Change is a stupid liberal conspiracy theory to crush business…just like evolution.

SGTHOOAH
11/17/12 3:17 pm

It will cost more to produce an item or service and the cost gets pushed to the consumer. This " tax" will be used to not only deter "dirty" business but also will make new jobs in government for monitoring this new regulation. GREAT MORE GOVERNMENT JOBS, less private sector jobs!

imanag My heaven on Earth
11/17/12 3:14 pm

RJ1969, I may not agree with your tone or all of your answers, but I appreciate your standing up to say you have some education on this. I won't hold my breath on the webinar. ;)

OliverM New Jersey
11/17/12 3:13 pm

This is a bad idea. It will only draw industry further from America, as it will be cheaper to relocate than develop new techniques. This won't have a good outcome.

gcoopdogg In a Mansion in My Head
11/17/12 3:12 pm

Is that sarcasm, waytogo? Because - seriously - otherwise I've never heard a more vapid, thoughtless comment. ENVIRONMENTAL PROTECTION LAWS CREATE JOBS!!! They force industry to do things more wisely and create jobs in cleanup, subsidiary companies, and R&D fields. Stop being a Sean Hannity Parrot!

DanIndepen Ohio
11/17/12 3:10 pm

They wouldn't have to pay for the red states if the blue states didn't want to keep spending......

11/17/12 3:07 pm

this is true, but my observation stands. There is a pattern of behavior in certain folks who claim to have insight on a variety of topics and they always differ to what's currently on TV.

11/17/12 3:05 pm

see the posting at :51 (above) genius.

11/17/12 3:04 pm

why don't you actually look into that then, because it will.

praetorianus65
11/17/12 3:04 pm

@RJ1969: being wrong on one issue doesn't imply being wrong on all issues, especially if two issues are as different as election stats and climate change. That's a bit like saying because you are a bad driver you are also a bad cook - classic non sequitur.

11/17/12 3:03 pm

Isn't the fundamental premise behind conservatism to conserve?

11/17/12 3:02 pm

and whether you can see it or not, it is there. It's called pollution. And it causes problems.

Try lightning a log on fire in your living room and let us know how that works out for you.

SGTHOOAH
11/17/12 3:01 pm

Wrong thread.....

gcoopdogg In a Mansion in My Head
11/17/12 3:01 pm

RJ- I've been liking all your comments, but that's getting old! Let's just say I 100% agree with everything you've said on this issue.

There is NOT ONE reason why we shouldn't protect the environment, yet a billion why we should. I wonder just what type of person says that we SHOULDN'T save Earth?

gcoopdogg In a Mansion in My Head
11/17/12 3:01 pm

11/17/12 3:00 pm

Is there more CO2 accumulating in the atmosphere? Yes. It is measured all the time. Is it accumulating in the oceans? Yes. We measure pH all the time and it is acidifying. When you take compressed solids and liquids out of the ground and burn them, it doesn't magically go away.

pinkyusuck The Carribean. I wish.
11/17/12 2:59 pm

Keep laughing. The rest of us will enjoy the jobs that migrate out of California.

SGTHOOAH
11/17/12 2:58 pm

So I read that the union is blaming the demise on "evil capitalism" thus the union thinks that the "greedy corporation" wants more. Isn't that what the union wants to, don't they want more? So is everyone an "evil capitalist"?

11/17/12 2:58 pm

The same experts who told us all that Mitt Romney would win the election because N. Silver's statistical models were all lies and the only true source of info was unskewedpolls.com are here to tell us all about the program and climate change. Awesome!

11/17/12 2:56 pm

so, it won't create jobs?