Show Of Hands November 17th, 2012 12:00am

California has begun implementing a "cap and trade" environmental protection program, in which companies purchase credits for their greenhouse gas emissions. Good plan?

11/17/12 4:30 pm

BTW, how many fortune 500 companies are based in Indiana again?

11/17/12 4:29 pm

That would totally work out great for the U.S.

Good thing we have intellectuals here, such as yourself, to propose such a distinct possibility.

Dinglberry
11/17/12 4:28 pm

ok we need a poll to find out how many people think it would be nice to have california leave the US

superdave
11/17/12 4:28 pm

I don't give a shit what California does!

commonsense America isnt racist
11/17/12 4:28 pm

There's nothing scientific about global warming. It's a myth.

TarbashEMagic Bronx, NY
11/17/12 4:27 pm

This user is currently being ignored

11/17/12 4:27 pm

I thought denying problems was the best policy.

veritas1 Panda
11/17/12 4:27 pm

I'd be careful with embracing a Pascal's Wager-sequence view of anthropological climate change. I guess I just don't like using that kind of logical substantiation. Better to prove to yourself global warming had anthropogenic causes before going about on a costly, futile effort.

commonsense America isnt racist
11/17/12 4:26 pm

Shhhh......I'm hiding my head in the sand. I don't want to hear about more stupidity about CA. Lol

TarbashEMagic Bronx, NY
11/17/12 4:26 pm

This user is currently being ignored

bryank21
11/17/12 4:26 pm

Well 98% of scientists say climate change is significantly impacted by humans. But is a cleaner earth such a bad thing?

praetorianus65
11/17/12 4:25 pm

So even if a risk is low but in case it happens the damage is huge it's smart to take precautions.

11/17/12 4:24 pm

These new regulations will keep Californians from dying of cancer. It will also mean millions of new jobs...3 for every citizen.

Wow, this making crap up and just saying it like it's true thing is great!

praetorianus65
11/17/12 4:23 pm

I'm not entirely convinced manmade emissions contribute substantially to global warming but still think reducing emissions is a good idea because if I'm wrong the damage due to rising sea levels would be staggering. In the US, New Orleans and South FL goes first. Holland - bye bye. And so forth.

bryank21
11/17/12 4:23 pm

And also the first statement is just stupid and not worthy of response.

veritas1 Panda
11/17/12 4:22 pm

Your comment is inherently self-contradictory or a straw man. What the California law does is set up an action for X amount (35 mil I think) carbon allowances. That means the MARKET sets the prices. If they believe efficiency is cheaper than buying more allowances, they will increase efficiency.

bryank21
11/17/12 4:22 pm

@ReptheGOP Actually, I have no comment on the first statement because it wasn't interesting. I'm not "bashing" religion, I'm fixing the statement, since you can't find proof or facts in the bible.

veritas1 Panda
11/17/12 4:20 pm

@bryant. My state of residence does not reflect my political views. I was feeling especially snarky and sarcastic today. I agree with you.
@Rep. I was not being sincere. I was regurgitating what I hear people say. The fact that you think it is a legitimate argument is sad testament of our society.

goalie31 OrthodoxCatholicChristian
11/17/12 4:20 pm

I give off carbon, cows give off carbon, volcanos give off carbon. Tax carbon? Are you mentally unstable?! That will just devastate an already damaged economy due to regulation... You people have problems

PuppyLvr In love with Listgarten
11/17/12 4:20 pm

Less carbon dioxide? Why don't you just kill everyone? There's your less carbon dioxide! Who cares that the earth's temperature won't change anyways? Problem solved, right? /sarcasm

bryank21
11/17/12 4:19 pm

Damn liberals. Trying to suggest humans play a part in climate change with FACTS. Everyone knows it's because gay people are allowed to be in love, duh. How dumb can you liberals be, with all that science voodoo.

11/17/12 4:18 pm

can you support that with any facts? for example, regulations on sulfur dioxide in the 90's were said to be potentially devastating to the economy, when in fact, it actually helped the economy and cleaned up pollution.

chemist2016
11/17/12 4:17 pm

Lol just be quiet that's does not deserve a logical reply

11/17/12 4:17 pm

completely devastated economy? please elaborate.

goalie31 OrthodoxCatholicChristian
11/17/12 4:17 pm

@bryank21i love how you have no come back to his economic post so you bash religion. Ignorant liberal atheist.

11/17/12 4:16 pm

I also like the way the author says CA is the most heavily taxed and regulated state in the world. WTF does that mean?

11/17/12 4:16 pm

....but, but, but....the people on TV gave me my facts, just like waytogo uses an op/ed piece as facts.

I love the way the author goes off on state democrats as the world's problems even though it was a republican gov who signed the bill into law.

LRM20 A Hoosier in Lincoln Land
11/17/12 4:16 pm

How can a little less carbon be worth a completely devastated economy ??

bryank21
11/17/12 4:15 pm

"All the facts prove it. Read your bible."
I'm sorry, but you shouldn't use the word "facts" or "prove" anywhere near the word "bible" or any religious text. It's a contradiction.

LRM20 A Hoosier in Lincoln Land
11/17/12 4:14 pm

That will be devastating economically for cAli

chemist2016
11/17/12 4:13 pm

I'm happy you have hope that people actually want to know the truth

veritas1 Panda
11/17/12 4:12 pm

Silly, RJ. You are simply too flawed to realize California is a hyper-liberal communist bastion of job massacring and company executions.

All the facts prove it. Read your bible.

bryank21
11/17/12 4:12 pm

That's why conservative states use the most federal funding, have the lowest SAT scores and have the most welfare recipients. Not to mention the highest percentage of obese people.

pdid
11/17/12 4:11 pm

It is scary this vote is as close as it is in favor of this idea.

11/17/12 4:07 pm

interesting. according to census data, The increase in CA population is still above the national average.

www.census.gov/compendia/statab/2012/tables/12s0014.pdf

11/17/12 3:56 pm

Did you miss the part where it says op/ed?

Again...stellar reference.

bryank21
11/17/12 3:55 pm

Ah, Neil DeGrasse Tyson. What an awesome person. And I know, but it's about whether Republicans choose to accept science and act on it.

evo Tampa
11/17/12 3:53 pm

I suggest anyone who is iffy about this subject watch this TED talk...you'll understand the importance of integrating money with the environment www.ted.com/talks/pavan_sukhdev_what_s_the_price_of_nature.html

EarlyBird Portland
11/17/12 3:53 pm

Thank you for putting it in simple terms for dummies like me.

11/17/12 3:53 pm

I like the way the author mentions "huge sales tax increase". 0.25% is huge? And then state income tax rates...yeah, for those making over $250K.

Great reference!

crazygoalie39 Waddington
11/17/12 3:51 pm

Carbon tax is better, but it's a start

evo Tampa
11/17/12 3:51 pm

Beautiful thing about science is that it is true whether you believe it or not.

11/17/12 3:50 pm

Thanks for the Forbes article. Where in the article does the author reference his claims? Are people leaving CA? sure. Are more people leaving than coming here? No.

bryank21
11/17/12 3:50 pm

"…depending on how former-Governor Romney chooses to look at the matter, either 97-98% of all national experts, 97.6% of experts at the universities he attended, or 86% of the experts at his primary undergraduate institution (BYU) agree that climate change is real and manmade." Your move Republicans

11/17/12 3:49 pm

way to go, you need to be able to distinguish between a statement, and one that is supported by facts. Someone can say "people are leaving the state". Sure, but is there a net decrease? Absolutely not!

chemist2016
11/17/12 3:47 pm

Because it hurts there feelings