Show Of Hands January 6th, 2013 12:00am

Should doctor-assisted suicide be legal?

shakeitmackten
01/06/13 10:49 pm

I guess I was only looking at the suicide side of it. Assisted suicide really has to be on a case by case basis.

zman117 Ohio
01/06/13 10:48 pm

.......pain, then who are you to say otherwise? Don't you want what's best for your loved one?

brownskins786 Virginia
01/06/13 10:48 pm

I'm not a republican, but I don't think it's fair for you to generalize like that. Not ALL republicans are the way you describe and, obviously, some WOULD agree with your standpoint on this issue. Just saying, insulting them is not the way to get them to agree with you....

not_even Boston, MA
01/06/13 10:48 pm

That's easy for you to say when you're not in pure agony and hoping your next breath will be your last.

bryank21
01/06/13 10:48 pm

I feel very strongly about this issue. I believe that if someone you love is dying painfully, they should be allowed to perform doctor assisted suicide. My grandparents have told me they would prefer quick, painless death to prolonged, torturous death. It's their choice. I'd do the same.

Brrrrrrrrr
01/06/13 10:47 pm

Useless- being or having no beneficial use; futile or ineffective.
Incapable of functioning or assisting; ineffectual.

susanr Colorado
01/06/13 10:46 pm

In Oregon you have to have a terminal illness and less than six months to live. And you have to make multiple requests for the drugs.

zman117 Ohio
01/06/13 10:46 pm

Forget the politics of it. If you have never been in the situation you have no idea what you would decide or want. Ultimately it comes down to this for me. Your loved one is who you are caring for and should be looking out for. If its what they would want, especially because they are in a lot

madeit Houston Area
01/06/13 10:46 pm

Life is sacred from the moment of conception until natural death. We don't ask to be born. We don't have the right to take ourselves out, either.

PresidentDonald Washington D.C.
01/06/13 10:45 pm

If the doctor dosen't do it, you would do it yourself. So, just let the person make the choice. Make it legal.

susanr Colorado
01/06/13 10:44 pm

That and lung problems, like from COPD or lung metastases, so you can barely breathe.

Zod Above Pugetropolis
01/06/13 10:44 pm

Dr assisted is legal here in WA bryank, it completely avoids the ethical issues some have with euthanasia, which I agree, should also be legal here.

zman117 Ohio
01/06/13 10:43 pm

He will make it, but you are being told that's not possible. Everyone knew he was in a lot of pain and ultimately he had it written before that he did not want to be kept alive in a situation like that.
I know that this was technically not "assisted suicide" but it is still relevant.

inge MIA
01/06/13 10:43 pm

Won't make it without being stuck in and out of a hospital or home the rest of his life*

geoag02 Dallas, TX
01/06/13 10:42 pm

If it is such a tough issue, why do we need a law to decide for everybody instead of letting everyone in that situation decide for themselves?

osouless Whats Next
01/06/13 10:42 pm

I nvr said military. Im saying if i shot my self my family wouldn't get a penny of my life insurance.

bryank21
01/06/13 10:41 pm

Not only doctor assisted, which is when you have to administer the medication yourself. Euthanasia should also be legal. That is when a doctor or third party can actually perform the action with the consent of the patient.

susanr Colorado
01/06/13 10:41 pm

It's apparently legal in Washington and Montana as well as Oregon. I have no idea how extensively it is used in any of them. Oh, and a number of other countries besides Denmark, too.

zman117 Ohio
01/06/13 10:41 pm

Before my grandfather died he was first resuscitated twice. Even though they were able to bring him back he was not able to breathe on his own. I remember it perfectly and never will forget the moment we were told the situation. It's a very tough decision because you see him still alive and hope

not_even Boston, MA
01/06/13 10:41 pm

Only the extremely ill would be considered; there's rules that would come with legalization.

HayleyS looking up.
01/06/13 10:40 pm

Does this include people who are simply depressed? Or just those extremely ill?

inge MIA
01/06/13 10:38 pm

So a guy is horribly maimed by an ied, won't make it, and wants to die than he isn't worth his life insurance? Why? He did his job. Just curious what your reasoning is.

truspec Texas
01/06/13 10:35 pm

All the notifications being sent

truspec Texas
01/06/13 10:34 pm

What if you were feeling the worst pain imaginable and knew you were going to die in 2 to 6 weeks, and the pain would just get worse. You would want to end it as soon as you could to ease your suffering. There would be no point in continuing your slow painful death

EarlyBird Portland
01/06/13 10:33 pm

Is anyone noticing a server slow down big time?

bryank21
01/06/13 10:33 pm

Oh, I was thinking euthanasia. Apparently doctor assisted is when the patient administers the medication and not a third party or doctor. Either way, both should be legal.

truspec Texas
01/06/13 10:31 pm

Regular suicide- I choose to kill myself because of temporary problems mounting up and had the impulse to end it and I could have lived for possibly a long time had I not killed myself
Doctor assisted- I am in terrible pain, I will die soon anyways after suffering through even more pain I don't want

osouless Whats Next
01/06/13 10:31 pm

Yes. 1.) if im going to die, but cant do it myself, what other choice is there. 2.) its only for the terminally ill WHO CANT DO IT THEMSELVES, not someone who's depressed cuz someone "bullied them". 3.) you'll let fido die with dignity but not grandpa?

EarlyBird Portland
01/06/13 10:30 pm

Yes! And it's our bodies, our lives and should be our decision.

ryno Flyover Country
01/06/13 10:29 pm

Feeling has nothing to do with the statement. Homicide is the killing of another human being. Last I checked euthanasia (assisted suicide) requires the doctor to kill the patient.

susanr Colorado
01/06/13 10:28 pm

Uh, no, the people for whom assisted suicide would be available (if Oregon is a model) aren't going to get through "hard times." They are close to dying.

beamie Michigan
01/06/13 10:27 pm

I guess when I read this question I didn't picture a person who has depression and wants to end their life. I picture more of the terminal person who is at their last days and can't do those things such as hanging and so forth.

NicoleAnn The North Remembers
01/06/13 10:27 pm

@milkdud there would have to be an age restriction on this... 18?

truspec Texas
01/06/13 10:27 pm

I would not allow the parents to have the right of choosing doctor assisted suicide

zman117 Ohio
01/06/13 10:27 pm

Can't we all admit this is a very tough issue?

MrMilkdud
01/06/13 10:27 pm

The point isn't to give a lethal dose,
The point is to make the dose as high as it needs to be to make a terminally ill person comfortable.
If the person's pain is able to be managed at a non- lethal dose, then that's appropriate.

RJ1969 SoCal
01/06/13 10:27 pm

we know what the odds of "spontaneous remissions" are. that's like making you 2013 budget with the possibility of a huge lotto payout.

praetorianus65
01/06/13 10:26 pm

BUT I'm okay with it if the person has a written statement made while healthy stating they want it.

not_even Boston, MA
01/06/13 10:26 pm

Yes; I feel like most people against this have never been in deathly pain, or have never seen a loved one go through such a painful death. Legalize it, and give the victims a voice & a choice.

EarlyBird Portland
01/06/13 10:26 pm

Hospice is great but not helpful for those who want to die.

susanr Colorado
01/06/13 10:25 pm

Nuggs, assisted suicide isn't intended for young people in good condition. It's for people at the very end of a terminal illness who are in great physical pain and/or psychological distress.

praetorianus65
01/06/13 10:25 pm

I don't think so - a person who is in unbearable pain is also deprived of sound judgment.
Spontaneous remissions DO happen and terminal isn't always terminal.
It's similar to people under torture - they will admit crimes they didn't commit and may lose their mind.

DidYouKnow
01/06/13 10:25 pm

@sunsar
It is a mix of both. People who are depressed and have suicidal thoughts would more likely would commit the act with a doctor as it would be easier.

onthenine Da Burg
01/06/13 10:25 pm

There can be so much suffering in the end. It would be a blessing to choose my time and place.

EarlyBird Portland
01/06/13 10:24 pm

Bry - it's legal in OR but difficult to get a doctor to help.

MrMilkdud
01/06/13 10:24 pm

What about minors whose parents retain the legal right to make this decision for them?
If I'm a 14 year old with some disease, I don't want my parents deciding to euthanize me.
Think I'm making this up? There are documented cases of child euthanasia happening routinely in the UK
Source...

DidYouKnow
01/06/13 10:23 pm

@Liberalid2
We would need to help decide for them as we have with the people we force into rehab programs. People need care sometimes wether they like it or not.
Similar things could be seen with drug addicts who turn to drugs instead of facing the world. Life can always improve if you let it.