Show Of Hands January 6th, 2013 12:00am

Should doctor-assisted suicide be legal?

JH90 Indiana
01/07/13 7:54 am

I never said you should stay out of politics.I said you can have a belief as long as it never tramples someone's right to believe in something else.If the discussion here was totally between science and religious beliefs,I would be ok with that.He just resorted to saying you were wrong and him right

01/07/13 7:53 am

Where is ANY evidence of a deity of ANY kind?

Why do you require religion to help you gauge "right" from "wrong"

Shouldn't basic empathy be enough?

ELATeacher
01/07/13 7:51 am

I do tolerate and respect everyone right to voice in public debate, I reject that assertion by some here that theology and religious belief should "stay out of politics." No one should stay out politics, the systems works only when we all speak up, that what to comment section is all about isn't it.

01/07/13 7:49 am

That's the problem discussing facts and logic with "people of faith"

Religion is a mental disease, and needs to be included in the DSR, so then maybe you people can receive the treatment you desperately need, and become rational human beings.

ELATeacher
01/07/13 7:48 am

RandFan, I accept science where it has a voice. I accept the Big Bang, Evolution, Quantum Physic (actually enjoy these things) but it is limited like theology, it is own realm. This question is an ethical and moral one, science cannot speak to the value of human life.

wetheslaves Live each moment fully
01/07/13 7:46 am

Rand what if everything was created by God and exists because of him? I would say He is relevant in every part of life, including what comes next. Can you see that as a possibility?

JH90 Indiana
01/07/13 7:45 am

Just respect and tolerate each other's belief and move on

ELATeacher
01/07/13 7:45 am

I have no problem with science, but science is limited, just as theology is. I accept the Big Bang, Evolution because science cannot speak on them. Science cannot speak to value of life, or ethics, religion can. This is an ethical question not a scientific one, it about the value of life.

JH90 Indiana
01/07/13 7:45 am

You're arrogant because you're telling this guy what he should believe personally because your belief is more rational to you. Well sorry to break it to you but he thinks his belief is more rational than yours. You're both entitled to a belief. Don't bash him for his and he shouldn't either

01/07/13 7:45 am

Ok. It's never "just a belief" is it? Those who have "faith" are ALWAYS pushing to have their "opinion" codified into law. Stem cell research, reproductive rights, marriage equality, etc. That's why I'm so opposed to your barbaric delusions. Crusades anyone?

ELATeacher
01/07/13 7:43 am

@randfan, where is proof of the "fact" that human lives are only of the value we place on them? When we no longer want them they can be thrown away, prove that! You cannot, it dogmatic belief you hold, yet you take it for granted in our argument as though it were a fact.

JH90 Indiana
01/07/13 7:42 am

This is my reply to your comment directed at me.
Faith has a place in medical discussion as long as someone deems in necessary through a personal belief. You have no right to tell someone they can't be faithful in medicine. That's a violation of the 1st Amendment.

ELATeacher
01/07/13 7:41 am

All laws enforce some belief, the questions should be secular beliefs or Theistic beliefs. Both are equally dogmatic in nature and equally worthy of place in public debate.

01/07/13 7:39 am

I "bashed" him because assisted suicide is a medical issue. "Faith" has as much place in the medical world as it does in engineering or accounting.

Why is it "arrogant" to want a discussion about science only include facts? What is this fascination with delusion?

ELATeacher
01/07/13 7:39 am

@RandFan, the issue isn't that prohibiting something "forces" belief on someone. Every law "forces" beliefs, it which belief to "force"Laws against murder "force" the belief that wrong to kill, laws against "stealing" force a belief in private property.

JH90 Indiana
01/07/13 7:37 am

So by your logic, this guy is restricting your rights by having a personal belief? That makes absolutely no sense at all

ELATeacher
01/07/13 7:36 am

the belief that God doesn't not exist is just as dogmatic as belief that he does. Even your beloved science will tell that non-existence of God cannot be proven. So to say the dogmatic secularism or atheism has more a place in social discourse then Christianity is not rational, but prejudice.

JH90 Indiana
01/07/13 7:36 am

If a woman doesn't want to have a baby, don't engage in risky sexual behavior. Deal with the consequences of your actions.

AfroJedi A galaxy far, far away
01/07/13 7:35 am

Growth? Wow. It's like you see a child as a dead weight. And it's not just a woman's body anymore. I believe in protecting the rights of ALL, especially a defenseless infant. My gender is not important.

01/07/13 7:33 am

Wedaslaves:

I wouldn't know, as I graduated in 1990.

My point is, I want medical policy based upon science not fantasy. Believe whatever delusions you wish, but don't restrict my rights in the process.

cooper1176
01/07/13 7:30 am

GOP is nuts. Less government and more personal freedom or not?

wetheslaves Live each moment fully
01/07/13 7:30 am

Rand, I hope you don't experience wishful thinking after you die. People care about you. That is why they suffer your insults for your benefit. Have you seen someone's withered leg grow right in front of your eyes in person? I have. It was awesome to see.

arborfamilia on top of the hill
01/07/13 7:29 am

This is not how assisted suicide actually works in the real world, but it's a nice plot for a paperback murder mystery... FICTION.

JH90 Indiana
01/07/13 7:28 am

What is this guy suggesting we prohibit? He was expressing a BELIEF and hasn't even said it should be illegal. You came and bashed him for a BELIEF he isn't advocating forcing on you through law. You're missing the point

01/07/13 7:28 am

I'm not forcing anyone to have an assisted suicide. All I'm after is not having fairy tales decide the choices in my life.

01/07/13 7:27 am

JH90: are you deliberately missing the point? If you prohibit something because of religion, that's forcing your "faith" on others. However, if you allow proper medical procedures, you have a choice as to do it or not.

TruthWizard south Indy
01/07/13 7:26 am

I believe someone has the right to end their own life but it shouldn't be just between the doctor and patient. There would have to be a full proof system if this was ratified

wetheslaves Live each moment fully
01/07/13 7:25 am

Rand is that what they are teaching in high school these days? Have you seen the medical directives the attorneys draw up these days? They clearly include the option to have pain meds, even if it shortens your life. They also include the verbiage of not being fed by tube etc. This is in there now

arborfamilia on top of the hill
01/07/13 7:25 am

It is EXTREMELY complex to go through this process as enacted in Oregon. It is not a simple form but a series of in person visits with doctors and therapists. It would be very difficult to fake it on behalf of someone else.

01/07/13 7:22 am

If you want to carry a growth on your body for 9mo. That's fine. But your "morality" or non scientific opinions shouldn't be forced upon others.

01/07/13 7:21 am

Are you male or female?

It's important. Because as a male it's not my place to tell a woman what she can or can't do with her own body.

radmian Hartford, Wi.
01/07/13 7:21 am

So, the death penalty is ok? Killing an unborn child is ok? But making the decision to end your own life is not? THANKS GOVERNMENT!!!!!

JH90 Indiana
01/07/13 7:20 am

I'm not debating religious beliefs, I'm debating that just because you ignore the fact that people have different beliefs than you and choose to ignore proven things it's their CHOICE. You can't MAKE anyone believe anything. You're just as bad as a bible thumper right now

JH90 Indiana
01/07/13 7:18 am

He said his grandmother CHOSE to stay with her loved ones. The family didn't make her love them. It's not like they wanted her to be in pain, it happened naturally as death came. She CHOSE to deal with the pain and stay longer

parishpga
01/07/13 7:17 am

I can't believe this one why do people think this is ok

dcool Detroit
01/07/13 7:17 am

Nurses and doctors have admitted to committing euthanasia involuntarily. Meaning, they just went ahead and did it without permission. They decided it was best. Ew. Not a place I would feel comfortable growing old in.

01/07/13 7:17 am

JH90:

Science is logic, facts, and reason. "Faith" is wishful thinking and basic denial of reality.

Do you go to a doctor that hopes you get well? Or do you go to one that actually does something about it?

AfroJedi A galaxy far, far away
01/07/13 7:16 am

When the sperm cell unites with an egg cell, a human being is created.

dcool Detroit
01/07/13 7:16 am

I believe it's a slippery slope when you legalize this type of thing. Once you make it ok, then other things slip by: disabled children, elderly who are depressed (not infirmed), etc. European countries who've legalized it have already seen an increase in these practice (which are NOT legal) and

supereliguy Andromeda
01/07/13 7:15 am

I said no because I'm afraid it would be a portal for some to get away with murder. Fake a form etc... It would create new problems.

kellyw The Mississippi Delta
01/07/13 7:15 am

Why the support of the family? Do you ask your mom for permission to treat a cold?

JH90 Indiana
01/07/13 7:14 am

This guy didn't even say it should be illegal. He's stating his personal choice in morals.

01/07/13 7:14 am

MRay96:

Why do we need a new flu vaccine every year? Because "god" makes new virus'?

They EVOLVE.

JH90 Indiana
01/07/13 7:13 am

If someone wants to put God in medicine why are you the righteous one to stop them? Why does everyone have to conform to your set of morals or beliefs? You're really annoying me with your arrogance on here lol

01/07/13 7:10 am

We're all free to believe what we wish. It's when "belief" tries to supersede reason & intellect, and force itself upon those who think rationally is when I have a problem.

"God" is as real as Frodo Baggins, and has as much place in a medical discussion.

TeaPartier Dont Tread on Me
01/07/13 7:07 am

Well evolution is "unproved and imaginary"! It's a faith as much as anything else is! It's not science!

01/07/13 7:06 am

JH90:
As I didn't exist yet, it wouldn't have made any difference to "me".

But let's keep forcing women to bear children they don't want. Having more hate filled psychotics running around can't be a bad thing.

Dolt.

dcool Detroit
01/07/13 7:04 am

Some of these replies are pretty intolerant and extremely rude. Wow. Maybe before you "speak", you should ask if this is how your parents raised you: to mock a person's beliefs.

TeaPartier Dont Tread on Me
01/07/13 7:03 am

Lay off this guy! Anyone can share their thoughts here! He has his rights!