Show Of Hands January 6th, 2013 12:00am

Should doctor-assisted suicide be legal?

BigKennyShow Welcome to the basement
01/06/13 9:50 pm

We don't let animals suffer, but human beings have to because its the law. I find it selfish and immoral to force a human being to live that way.

spindrift take the red pill
01/06/13 9:46 pm

You let your dog die with dignity, why not grandpa?

bryank21
01/06/13 10:14 pm

This is what I don't understand. People are saying it shouldn't be legal, even as a choice. If you don't want to be euthanized, don't be euthanized. Don't try to put yourself in someone's shoes and decide for them and everyone else.

NicoleAnn The North Remembers
01/06/13 9:56 pm

After working in a nursing home I have to say yes. There at certain point you aren't really living anymore.

iTeach Mos Eisley
01/06/13 9:52 pm

We put down sick animals because it's the humane thing to do. Why is it different for people?

BetaMax
01/06/13 10:10 pm

The select areas where Republicans tend to actually WANT the government to get in the way sometimes amuse me.

not_even Boston, MA
01/06/13 10:26 pm

Yes; I feel like most people against this have never been in deathly pain, or have never seen a loved one go through such a painful death. Legalize it, and give the victims a voice & a choice.

zman117 Ohio
01/06/13 10:27 pm

Can't we all admit this is a very tough issue?

bryank21
01/06/13 10:48 pm

I feel very strongly about this issue. I believe that if someone you love is dying painfully, they should be allowed to perform doctor assisted suicide. My grandparents have told me they would prefer quick, painless death to prolonged, torturous death. It's their choice. I'd do the same.

schmidty
01/06/13 9:49 pm

Normally I'm pro-life, but I'm pro-choice on this one

brownskins786 Virginia
01/06/13 9:43 pm

Well....that was constructive and completely related to the topic....

dollyskid
01/07/13 11:45 am

i dont get you republicans. you want govt to leave people alone except when you dont.

bryank21
01/06/13 10:03 pm

My dad committed suicide. When he did it, it was a permanent solution to a temporary problem. In the case of euthanasia, it is not a temporary problem. It is terminal illness, which will inevitably cause a slow, painful death. If we can help people die painlessly instead of from torture, we should.

arborfamilia on top of the hill
01/06/13 11:49 pm

It's been legal in Oregon for a decade, and it has been very successful and had remarkably low criticism. Yes, it should remain legal.

droo Santa Barbara
01/06/13 9:50 pm

If someone wishes to end his/her life, that is their decision. Just consider doctor-assisted suicide as an alternative to walking in on a person who has hung him/herself, overdosed on pills, or slit his/her wrist. I don't believe suicide is the right way but I don't have control over other lives.

KatG Liberal in Ohio
01/07/13 1:49 pm

You're terminal, in pain, your quality of life is poor and all you are doing at this point is draining your families finances. If you want to end it in a humane way...I think you should and with the help of your doctor.

bryank21
01/06/13 11:11 pm

Wait, so the person's right to escape excruciating pain is less important than the doctor's personal feelings? Doesn't sound like any hospital I've ever been to.

bryank21
01/06/13 10:00 pm

It's not about depression usually. It's about the constant pain and terminal illness.

bryank21
01/06/13 10:07 pm

Please, Republicans. I know you're always anxious to vote the opposite of Democrats, but don't you think the terminally ill should have the right to die painlessly and with dignity? What use is making them suffer? It's literal torture.

zourn Texas
01/06/13 11:19 pm

How can we be called the land of the free if we're not allowed to make our own life or death decisions?

LucentInsanity Seattle
01/07/13 12:50 am

No replies? Give me one logical reason, with no ties to religion, of why it shouldn't be legal? (And I definitely have a say in this because I'm fighting what can easily turn into a terminal disease.)

Zack100 Tatooine
01/06/13 11:36 pm

I would be fine with it remaining illegal. But if it does become legal, a doctor should be able to refuse and not be forced to kill someone.

suppressedID suck it Kyle
01/07/13 8:53 am

You worried your doctor doesn't like you?

Don't worry, cowboy, it's by request only.

chocstina Georgia
01/07/13 9:03 pm

actually, the treatment required to prolong their existence is far, far more costly. not to mention the immeasurable cost of their extended suffering

fossilman Youngstown, Ohio
01/06/13 9:50 pm

If you use the argument that only god should decide when someone dies, and you also support capital punishment, you are a huge hypocrite.

kitten2cat Unknown
01/07/13 5:10 am

Hooked to machines, in mind blowing pain, can't do anything for yourself, reduced to basically a baby like state, and always confused or concerned. Why would you force someone to live through such an experience if you know they'll die soon anyways? There is no dignity in that.

meomeomy
01/07/13 8:55 pm

Who are we to decide how others live (or end) their lives? If a person with a terminal illness wants to end their suffering how can you deny them that right? If you don't agree with it, don't do it... but don't deny other people's rights and force them to adhere to your personal beliefs.

38041 Georgia
01/07/13 3:18 am

Fine, change the oath. It was created by people and is therefore subject to revision.

dustbunny
01/06/13 11:13 pm

If a person wants to die they will do it in any way they can, most times resulting in painful failed attempts. We put our dogs down when they're in pain and call it humane but we can't do the same for a person? And it's only b/c we're selfish, we don't want to get any blood on our hands so to speak.

DakotaJames seattle
01/06/13 9:45 pm

If you are in so much pain you want to end your life, I fully believe you should have that decision.

RJ1969 SoCal
01/06/13 10:27 pm

we know what the odds of "spontaneous remissions" are. that's like making you 2013 budget with the possibility of a huge lotto payout.

liberalD2
01/06/13 9:56 pm

I support marijuana but whats that got to do with this? Lol...

liberalD2
01/06/13 9:48 pm

Yes it should. If somone is terminally ill, who are we to say that they must suffer?

SoCalSon SoKal
01/07/13 11:42 am

Most people think its humane to put a sick dog that is in pain to sleep, so what about people in pain that won't be able to recover?

bryank21
01/06/13 9:55 pm

If someone is terminally ill and in pain, why make them suffer? Yes, it should be legal.

shakeitmackten
01/06/13 9:55 pm

You are an idiot...

liberalD2
01/06/13 9:55 pm

But its not. Who are you or anyone to decide peoples fate for them?

not_even Boston, MA
01/06/13 10:48 pm

That's easy for you to say when you're not in pure agony and hoping your next breath will be your last.

cagurl23 Northern San Diego
01/06/13 10:03 pm

After watching both my mom & grandfather suffer/die from cancer I can see how am assisted suicide could have helped save them from so much pain & suffering. Towards the end they were no longer themselves & it was painful for the rest of us to watch. If there is no chance of getting better why not?

LAkers48 Minnesota
01/06/13 10:04 pm

Absolutely nothing ????. I just find it funny that people can find things like assisted suicide or the death penalty acceptable, but when it comes to allowing grown people to choose to consume marijuana or for a gay couple to marry... They have a problem. Live and let live. Live and let die,

RJ1969 SoCal
01/06/13 10:04 pm

Imagine metastasized tumors all over your body, growing in your bones, making them crack and split. Imagine that everyday it gets worse and worse and worse and no drugs can even come close to making it bearable. That's just a start as to what some people have to go through. one day,it might be yu

prterri
01/07/13 7:17 pm

Don't tell me God wanted her to die that way. Don't tell me she shouldn't have had the right to die with some dignity. Don't tell me our family shouldn't have had the right to help her end her suffering when she had zero chance of recovery. Assisted suicide should be a right, not a topic of debate.

liberalD2
01/06/13 10:22 pm

Because there not just killing themselves cause they feel like it. As you make it sound... They are endin there life because they are in a horrible amount of pain and agony and will die anyways. And it is no one elses choice but there own. And if they are in a vegitative state, its the familys..

liberalD2
01/06/13 9:50 pm

Its not the DOCTERS choice.

bryank21
01/06/13 9:59 pm

It is their job to ensure that their patient is given the best treatment possible. If the person wants to die with some dignity, why not have the doctor help them if they're ok with helping?

JackTorS Clap you stupid bastards
01/07/13 12:28 pm

It's my life. I should be able to choose when to end it under certain circumstances.
Let it be voluntary for doctors as well. I'm sure there will be just as many to assist as there are that do not.

liberalD2
01/06/13 10:16 pm

That was an ignorant statment...

bryank21
01/06/13 11:17 pm

And besides, with doctor assisted suicide, the patient administers the medication, not the doctor.

poliscigi Brooklyn
01/06/13 9:45 pm

... At being a socialist Muslim atheist?

LAkers48 Minnesota
01/06/13 10:22 pm

I absolutely agree that republicans are entirely devoid of integrity when it comes to government involvement. They want it where it enforces their moral guidelines on others, but call it intrusion when it's a personal moral conflict for them. This is a huge reason why they turn people off.