Show Of Hands January 6th, 2013 12:00am

Should doctor-assisted suicide be legal?

emily4444
01/14/13 8:04 pm

Never will I ever support something like that. Never.

burbz8
01/13/13 11:03 pm

I'd use it cause once I get old I just wanna be left alone and sleep. What would be better, living, being bothered, getting older, can't sleep! Or being dead and nothing or no one in my way?

susanr Colorado
01/13/13 8:45 am

That's pretty much the way it is in Oregon, where doctor-assisted suicide has been legal for 15 years. You have to be at least 18, capable of making your own medical decisions, and make one written & multiple verbal requests.

sarah1911 Poolesville MD
01/13/13 3:17 am

My own opinion is that euthanasia shouldn't be legal on animals either, killing is killing, morally wrong. If you don't want to linger then don't. Suicide is wrong but if you're going to give up without fighting to the end then do it yourself. Don't put it on someone else.

RElmer
01/13/13 1:39 am

Only if they have a living will citing the conditions of when, or are of sound mind to request it directly. I clarified such conditions for discontinuing life support in case a major surgery I had went terribly wrong.

EarlyBird Portland
01/11/13 9:00 pm

Doctor assisted suicide should definitely be legal for adults.
Especially when they hit 70.

susanr Colorado
01/11/13 2:12 am

It's not so much about life's problems, as death's problems. It's intended for those at the end stage of a terminal disease with no hope of a cure, remission or relief of symptoms; and if they are in such physical & psychological agony that they don't want to go on.

bela330 New York
01/10/13 9:07 pm

Well, who the hell cares about the moral aspect if doctors will make $$$$$ off it right? .... (not being serious)

montie AnCap and proud
01/10/13 5:35 pm

I would rather die on my own.
Euthanization Is not the answer to life's problems.

BadWolf The Library
01/10/13 9:18 am

News flash: nobody cares about your god

BadWolf The Library
01/10/13 9:17 am

Either answer on this question invokes death

boilermaker04 hole in the wall
01/09/13 7:12 pm

for the people claiming that only god should take lives... using that same theory then when someone gets cancer are they going against gods plan when they receive treatment? maybe people are to die but modern medicine saves them. No one ever shuns a doctor for saving a life that was meant to die...

JackTorS SOH Flounder
01/09/13 6:50 pm

Do you really think that freeing someone from horrific suffering where medicine can no longer help is doing harm?
Would it be more accurate to say that keeping someone alive in this state is more harmful?
I think we need to definitively define what 'harm' is.

susanr Colorado
01/09/13 12:21 pm

Ask the people here from Oregon if they have "suicide commercials." They've had doctor-assisted suicide for 15 years.

davidthefirst
01/09/13 11:29 am

A doctor takes an oath
FIRST DO NO HARM....

mac007 Mars
01/09/13 9:43 am

We don't need doctor assisted suicide. We're already getting quite good at killing ourselves. Besides, do you really want to have all those suicide commercials on TV?

bookhenge Virginia
01/09/13 5:16 am

I've already decided to take my own life if I am diagnosed with dementia; it's important to me to not lose who I am. I would much rather do it safely in a hospital surrounded by my loved ones than be found somewhere alone with a bag over my head.

pinkyusuck The Carribean. I wish.
01/09/13 1:25 am

Maybe not. But He's not 'my God.' He's just God. Believe in him, or don't. But He's still God, and you're still responsible to Him for how you live your life.

pinkyusuck The Carribean. I wish.
01/09/13 1:23 am

If I'm not mistaken, non-assisted isn't even legal in most states. It's just that we have no civilized way to punish the deceased for breaking that law. I don't support either. In most cases, someone wanting to kill them-self indicates that something, somewhere, has gone horribly wrong.

taximom Boise
01/09/13 12:05 am

Why is it that when It comes down to choosing between life or death, Democrats consistently and militantly land on the side of death?

sweetnes34 Outta Phucks
01/08/13 8:20 pm

euthanasia actually means "good death" not someone else made the choice.

sweetnes34 Outta Phucks
01/08/13 8:18 pm

MJ wasn't an assisted suicide at least that's not how he was charged

sweetnes34 Outta Phucks
01/08/13 8:16 pm

& people can't understand how people choose to believe in your god. or CHOOSE to believe the earth is only several thousand years old

susanr Colorado
01/08/13 7:43 pm

Not really. It's a pretty rigorous procedure in Oregon, including written and multiple verbal requests from the person wanting it. I don't know if that's happened in 15 years since Oregon made it legal, but I think we'd have heard about it.

rose12
01/08/13 6:55 pm

It's just very hard for me to comprehend why people CHOOSE to not believe in God; he has blessed us with life and sacrificed his Son for us to have eternal life. I just don't understand

beamie Michigan
01/08/13 6:43 pm

But again, if that person does not believe in your God why is it sick? If you believe it's wrong; don't do it. So many times freedom of religion is screamed. freedom of religion goes both ways. I have the right to NOT believe &to NOT Live by your beliefs and scripture.

rose12
01/08/13 6:37 pm

Corinthians 3:16-17: Do you not know that you are God's temple and that God's Spirit dwells in you? If any one destroys God's temple, God will destroy him. For God's temple is holy, and that temple you are.

beamie Michigan
01/08/13 6:24 pm

Why should everyone be forced to follow the values of your God? What if the person is an Atheist? Or a Christian who believes that God gave free will and the freedom of choice? Perhaps it's Gods will for that person to be assisted in death. How do you know that's not his plan?

rose12
01/08/13 6:17 pm

It is God's decision...when/why did people think they can determine these life choices?!

rose12
01/08/13 5:59 pm

What a sick question!!!

rinarae Ohio
01/08/13 5:45 pm

No because then they would find some way of charging the doctor of murderer... just look at Michael Jackson!

JackTorS SOH Flounder
01/08/13 5:06 pm

@parish
It seems we play 'God' all the time. Abortion, capital punishment, war, genetic engineering.

There is no malice in DAS, only compassion. I believe it is the last caring, loving thing we can do for our loved ones, if needed.

Vxscop In the TARDIS
01/08/13 3:39 pm

I say yes: hippocratic oath says no

JackTorS SOH Flounder
01/08/13 12:09 pm

I see no malfeasance when someone wants to permanently rid themselves of terminal suffering when medical science has no remedy.
If anything, keeping someone alive in this manner is doing more harm than good and a violation of your oath.

prterri
01/08/13 11:14 am

I respect your opinion, but my mother would have been completely freaked out had we gotten and in home help or had we hospitalized her in order to drug her into a stupor. She wanted to die at home and she wanted her dignity. She got one but not the other. She deserved both.

PeteV
01/08/13 10:38 am

Coming from a family that has actually had to take a young person with severe brain damage off life support, this should absolutely be legal. It's a quality of life issue. Allow people to end their suffering in a compassionate way, and let doctors save people who actually want to be saved.

susanr Colorado
01/08/13 9:54 am

At least 15 years. That's how long Oregon has had doctor-assisted suicide and it isn't an issue there.

jamjay Atlanta, Ga
01/08/13 9:02 am

Of Course. The alternatives forced on people who choose to die are barbaric.

JustSaying
01/08/13 8:16 am

Yes, but only under very strict circumstances.

SGTHOOAH
01/08/13 5:48 am

How does someone wanting to get assisted suicide impede on my rights?

preemiedoc
01/08/13 5:46 am

Though well meaning, it was not the way to go and I counseled my cousin's husband who started to have doubts that it was not what his wife wanted, even though she could not at that time vocalize it. She was in no pain. And those suffering terminal diseases should not be in pain.

preemiedoc
01/08/13 5:42 am

It is not easy. I know from personal experience with my mother who has dementia. Respect the wishes of the patient. Get a living will so your family knows your wishes. As my cousin lay dying of breast cancer surrounded by her family, a family friend (an EMT) wanted her husband to call 911.

preemiedoc
01/08/13 5:38 am

If, at the end of your life, you want only palliative care, then so be it. The case of dementia places a burden on the family as that person cannot make such decisions. There are health professionals who can help a family deal with this.

preemiedoc
01/08/13 5:33 am

Primum non nocere. When I have an infant for whom there is no hope and medical care would be futile, I remove support. That is different than injecting a lethal dose of morphine. DNR is a decision made by the patient/family to do no more and is respected by all.

penguins511
01/08/13 5:28 am

Ill also tell you,
I care about you even though I don't know you and no one deserves their dying breaths in a lot of pain.

penguins511
01/08/13 5:26 am

But commonsense,
Don't you want ALL people to be able to marry who they want? Even if its their same gender? I just don't see why people have to exclude them from happiness of marriage.

penguins511
01/08/13 5:24 am

Then ill tell you...
Do you really want to someone who is barely kept alive and in so much pain?

Do YOU really want have your dying breaths in pain?

If your not religious, I'm fine with that but think about these things and then answer the question.

penguins511
01/08/13 5:18 am

Oh I see didnt know wat it meant lol and wasn't gonna look it up.

wetheslaves Live each moment fully
01/08/13 4:49 am

It sounds like you all suffered together. At what point would you all have pulled the plug on her? Actually doing it yourself in person is not an easy choice.