Show Of Hands January 6th, 2013 12:00am

Should doctor-assisted suicide be legal?

FemmeAdamWest in the Tardis library
01/08/13 12:18 am

You may let God make your decisions for you, but you can't force the rest of us to do the same. Religious freedom includes freedom from religion.

Br@ndon Your Soul
01/07/13 11:24 pm

If I really wanted to kill myself...

StubinFried
01/07/13 11:11 pm

And how long would it be before insurance companies would be saying "Sorry, we won't cover you cancer treatment, but we will cover a lethal injection for you!"? Insurance companies want to make a profit and that is IT. Murdering someone is cheaper than curing them, and believe me they'd exploit it!

prterri
01/07/13 9:46 pm

common, by having doctors prescribe the lethal doses, the system would be pretty hard to take advantage of. Families would have to be involved in the decision. It wouldn't end up being an easy thing to get.

Goldiemol dry side of WA
01/07/13 9:29 pm

I thought the hippocratic oath was do not harm...can this not also mean that keeping one alive is more harmful? My understanding is that the doctor does not actually do the administering of the overdose just prescribes it and the patient then decides when to overdose. I could be wrong.

kjs Minnesota
01/07/13 9:15 pm

Dr.'s are in the business of saving lives, not helping to commit suicide.

EmpHadrian
01/07/13 9:11 pm

I meant the cost of the euthanasia.

babyboomer1 The flatulance express
01/07/13 9:08 pm

Yes. Maintaining a heart beat when no chance of survival is apparent is cruel, not only for the person, but more so for the family and loved ones.

chocstina Georgia
01/07/13 9:03 pm

actually, the treatment required to prolong their existence is far, far more costly. not to mention the immeasurable cost of their extended suffering

EmpHadrian
01/07/13 9:00 pm

I think it would be too expensive, seriously falling on a literal sword would be much cheaper. The euphoria that results from starvation is free. (Not being exactly serious, but these are cheaper alternatives)

chocstina Georgia
01/07/13 8:57 pm

We outlawed animal abuse before spousal or child abuse. Sad as it is, it doesn't surprise me.

Itabliss Hello
01/07/13 8:56 pm

Common>> you mean you want us to go back to polygamy? Because that has been traditional marriage far longer than monogamy.

chocstina Georgia
01/07/13 8:55 pm

go with your heart. you know it's right.

meomeomy
01/07/13 8:55 pm

Who are we to decide how others live (or end) their lives? If a person with a terminal illness wants to end their suffering how can you deny them that right? If you don't agree with it, don't do it... but don't deny other people's rights and force them to adhere to your personal beliefs.

Itabliss Hello
01/07/13 8:53 pm

What about those of us who don't believe god exists and don't live our lives by an arbitrary religion?

meomeomy
01/07/13 8:41 pm

What about palliative or hospice care? Drs don't "try to keep the patient alive above all else". They inform a patient of all treatment options & respect their right to make their own decisions re their life/body. Drs must never impose their personal beliefs on their patients... nobody should.

TeaPartier Dont Tread on Me
01/07/13 8:35 pm

Yes it is! It's murder through and through! It's illegal!

TopsQueen Oregon Coast
01/07/13 8:32 pm

However enjoy our beautiful state first. Today when I was stressed I went outside and did deep breathing. Fresh clean air. Yummy.

susanr Colorado
01/07/13 8:26 pm

Suicide: you decide when it's time. Euthanasia: someone else decides its time for a compassionate end.

susanr Colorado
01/07/13 8:24 pm

commonsense, marriage HASN'T been the same for thousands of years. Not that long ago in the US blacks & whites weren't allowed to marry each other. In more distant times, men could marry more than one woman. Those are not the only differences.

susanr Colorado
01/07/13 8:22 pm

Whether you actually have a right to die or not, the question here is should it be OK to have someone else help you do that. It's not quite the same.

susanr Colorado
01/07/13 8:19 pm

And actually, "euthanasia" is a *very* controversial concept.

susanr Colorado
01/07/13 8:18 pm

Not really. Euthanasia means that someone else has made the decision to end a life for compassionate reasons. With doctor-assisted suicide the person makes the decision for their own self, and at least in Oregon, must administer the lethal drug on their own. Rather different concepts.

jinger New York City
01/07/13 8:16 pm

This is like bi-sexual marriage. There is no reason not to let someone kill themselves if they are in serious conditions...
No reason I tell you!

niteowl Hold Fast
01/07/13 8:14 pm

Allykat1, I have heard this from so many people who work in the field. Do you know why doctors do this?

commonsense America isnt racist
01/07/13 8:13 pm

@prt, no one should ever suffer. But it's just not that simple to say, okay we can now all take our own lives when we think we are miserable or in pain.

There must be a way to insure that a system like that must never be taken advantage of.

adriannefaiza Maryland
01/07/13 8:07 pm

Attempting suicide is illegal, yet there is no legal outlet to kill yourself. It's not our duty to understand and or live for someone else. It's our duty to respect it if it does not harm us or society.

prettylazy
01/07/13 8:05 pm

To those who say no, what ever happened to "my body, my choice"? If someone wants to die, it should be their decision, society has no place forcing them to live.

adriannefaiza Maryland
01/07/13 8:04 pm

Less than 9% of the population is gay. Yet, most states which allow gay marriage won the popular vote of a minimum 51 % (where applicable).

Perhaps, it's your fellow straight couple comrades who truly feel gays and lesbians should be able to wed in a church.

Either way, what did gays do to you?

prterri
01/07/13 8:02 pm

But common, do we not have the right to some quality of life as well? My mom slowly starved to death, couldn't remember anybody but her kids, and was unable to even stand up on her own. She was in constant physical and mental pain. Why should society prolong suffering like that?

therivkid State of Confusion
01/07/13 7:59 pm

I think quality of life has to be taken into account though. Are you really living in constant excruciating pain with no hope of it ever going away? I would rather die than live that way.

prterri
01/07/13 7:59 pm

pari, don't tell me God wanted my mother to suffer like that. She never did anything in her entire life to hurt anybody. The only thing my family learned was that God is cruel and unfair.

commonsense America isnt racist
01/07/13 7:54 pm

Prt/peng, I believe that your life IS yours but that your death is not. I think society should try to save you at all costs.

Thanks for the conversation and not attacking. It seems to be happening more often.

prterri
01/07/13 7:50 pm

There is another word, euthanasia, but it doesn't sound as controversial, so the media and its opponents won't use it.

prterri
01/07/13 7:49 pm

common, we put dogs and cats down when they are too sick to function. I simply believe human beings should have that same choice. If you don't agree on a moral or ethical basis, I understand. Don't use the option. But don't tell me that I shouldn't be able to make that choice for myself.

commonsense America isnt racist
01/07/13 7:48 pm

@peng, I would never be mean to anyone, but most people want traditional marriage to stay the way it's been for 1,000's of years.
I'm always amazed that people complain about issues like this. @peng, you're an American, you have so much freedom. The freedom to create your own traditions. Get to it

penguins511
01/07/13 7:48 pm

I really think they should come up with a different name than "doctor assisted suicide" that makes it sound bad. Anyone else feel the same?

penguins511
01/07/13 7:46 pm

Commonsense,
Your lacking common sense.
I choose when I die. My life. Not yours. Especially if I'm near death and in pain. If I'm in pain and doctors are keeping me alive, I'd still be in pain. Soooo they're kinda hurting me. So let me die.

penguins511
01/07/13 7:44 pm

I'm religious too but... I truly think its not in Gods best interest to let us suffer. God loves us. He doesn't want to torture us do if that means doing watcha gotta do....fine.

parishpga
01/07/13 7:44 pm

Sorry for your loss. I am just not sure we should be playing the role of god. Perhaps if we look deep he is trying to teach us something in someone else's suffering

Rokz
01/07/13 7:43 pm

I think this a real mess I said no that is not right god should take you when he chooses your ride to be over not you I understand if you are paralyzed with cancer etc but not just because you choose to die

penguins511
01/07/13 7:43 pm

Yes but they thought about making only straight couples allowed to marry. = my right to marry who I want

parishpga
01/07/13 7:42 pm

Sorry for your loss. I am just not sur

prterri
01/07/13 7:42 pm

I watched my mother die a slow, painful, and heartbreakingly sad death as her body failed due to heart disease and her brain succumbed to dementia. Don't you dare tell me God wanted that wonderful woman to suffer! She never did ANYTHING to deserve the death she got!

commonsense America isnt racist
01/07/13 7:41 pm

@prt, I disagree. With all due respect.
Medicine and doctors are there to save and heal life no ever to take it.

There must be some other way to appease everyone.

prterri
01/07/13 7:40 pm

I watched my mother die a slow, painful, and heartbreakingly sad death as her body failed due to heart disease and her brain succumbed to dementia. There were no meds that could help her suffering. She couldn't eat, sleep, or remember who her family were. She wished for death every day for months.

prterri
01/07/13 7:39 pm

The consent of the family would be a requirement so the doctor doesn't get sued for wrongful death.

commonsense America isnt racist
01/07/13 7:39 pm

Anybody and everybody has the same fact right to marry. It's never changed.

It's the "gay rights movement" that wants to take away the rights if others to express their traditions.

prterri
01/07/13 7:37 pm

commonsense America isnt racist
01/07/13 7:37 pm

My point is that doctors are sworn to uphold life. Try and keep the patient alive above all else. At least that what I learned from house. : )

Is there a doctor in the house to verify?!?