Show Of Hands January 6th, 2013 12:00am

Should doctor-assisted suicide be legal?

liberalD2
01/06/13 10:23 pm

That is why you are ignorant.

shakeitmackten
01/06/13 10:22 pm

The military still pays out, and active duty members are worth 400K...

liberalD2
01/06/13 10:22 pm

Because there not just killing themselves cause they feel like it. As you make it sound... They are endin there life because they are in a horrible amount of pain and agony and will die anyways. And it is no one elses choice but there own. And if they are in a vegitative state, its the familys..

susanr Colorado
01/06/13 10:22 pm

I don't understand what you're saying here. People who use assisted suicide are usually unable to procure the drugs that would let them die without some sort of trauma. In Oregon one has to administer the drug oneself (but request it through a doctor).

LAkers48 Minnesota
01/06/13 10:22 pm

I absolutely agree that republicans are entirely devoid of integrity when it comes to government involvement. They want it where it enforces their moral guidelines on others, but call it intrusion when it's a personal moral conflict for them. This is a huge reason why they turn people off.

Nuggs
01/06/13 10:21 pm

But thanks for calling me an a**hole.(:

osouless Whats Next
01/06/13 10:20 pm

Idk where u went to high school but big news for u buddy we ARE animals. Homo sapiens to be exact.

brownskins786 Virginia
01/06/13 10:20 pm

That...is extremely sad.

Nuggs
01/06/13 10:20 pm

Reasons. For older, struggling people like your great grandmother. But for young people I don't believe it should be legal. Plus, for struggling people it's more like "putting them to sleep".

TopsQueen Oregon Coast
01/06/13 10:20 pm

It is legal in Oregon and I'm very very happy about that. I watch my poor mother-in-law suffer needlessly she was so in embarrassed that she was bedridden and incontinent.

ryno Flyover Country
01/06/13 10:20 pm

Please expound upon how ignorant I am.

EarlyBird Portland
01/06/13 10:20 pm

I went through the same thing with my grandmother. It was horrible. She used to beg, in her weak voice, for us to slip her some pills so she could end it. When we would explain that we couldn't, she'd get these tiny tears in her eyes that she couldn't even wipe away herself. It went on for 6 years.

Itabliss Hello
01/06/13 10:19 pm

A lot of doctors refuse to administer lethally high levels of morphine. I've dealt with this on all three pastings of my grandparents.

Itabliss Hello
01/06/13 10:19 pm

Nuggs
01/06/13 10:19 pm

EarlyBird- even the smallest of things can change the future. I'm not saying you have to do something huge like win a gold medal or anything.

Itabliss- Sorry to hear about your grandmother. I was talking about young people who are in good condition. I understand some "suicides" may be for humane

brownskins786 Virginia
01/06/13 10:19 pm

@Itabliss, I just read your comment about your great-grandmother and, in someone like her's case, who is giving full consent, I think that doctor-assisted suicide should be legal. I just don't think it should be legal in cases where there's a chance the patient may improve. I'm sorry for your loss.

DidYouKnow
01/06/13 10:18 pm

Unfortunately it is possible for them to do it on their own already and as causing self harm is more difficult to do to yourself then it is to ask for someone else to do it for them. With such a law suicide rates would increase. There should be more focus on providing care then giving an easier way.

susanr Colorado
01/06/13 10:18 pm

Therapy for what?

LAkers48 Minnesota
01/06/13 10:17 pm

I just want to see how people respond. Discussion and opinion is kind of what this app is all about. And, @ Betamax: "they don't always belong in the same conversation'"? So you're saying sometimes they do. Both involve the voluntary killing of people. Therefore they are related. I didnt equate them

liberalD2
01/06/13 10:16 pm

That was an ignorant statment...

MrMilkdud
01/06/13 10:16 pm

If a person in the US is in unbearable pain due to a terminal illness doctors are already able to administer lethally high levels of morphine to manage the pain.
The goal, in this scenario, isn't to kill the patient. It is to eliminate their pain. You can't feel pain in a medically induced coma.

osouless Whats Next
01/06/13 10:16 pm

U do realize ur family doesnt recieve life insurance when commit suicide right? Its already the norm.

ryno Flyover Country
01/06/13 10:16 pm

Because humans aren't animals? Or did I miss that somewhere along the line?

brownskins786 Virginia
01/06/13 10:15 pm

Yup, and that's why his medical license was revoked.

truspec Texas
01/06/13 10:15 pm

Give me one reason why someone who is of a sound mind in horrible pain should not be allowed to relieve that pain if they so choose. As Lincoln once said, “And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.”

bryank21
01/06/13 10:14 pm

This is what I don't understand. People are saying it shouldn't be legal, even as a choice. If you don't want to be euthanized, don't be euthanized. Don't try to put yourself in someone's shoes and decide for them and everyone else.

ryno Flyover Country
01/06/13 10:14 pm

Just because somebody wants to kill themselves doesn't make it less of a homicide.

bs75758 Michigan
01/06/13 10:13 pm

Yes because it's the compassionate thing to do for those terminally ill and in chronic pain. However, I think doctors should have the ability to opt out of doing it if they morally object to assisting.

brownskins786 Virginia
01/06/13 10:13 pm

A person in a vegetative state is only kept alive by machines and has little to no brain activity, whereas an immobile person IS still alive and is relatively functional. Doctor-assisted suicide is NOT the answer. People forget that doctors ARE still human and don't LIKE to kill people

Olivia420=] Maryland
01/06/13 10:12 pm

At some point your body is still alive but your not living... There is a difference between being alive and living and I don't ever want to just exist... If that makes any sense at all...?

susanr Colorado
01/06/13 10:12 pm

Do you mean that a person would use assisted suicide because they're depressed, or just that the fact that assisted suicide was legal would make it seem OK for them to commit suicide on their own, unassisted?

truspec Texas
01/06/13 10:12 pm

Even religiously I don't see the point. The religious people won't choose suicide if it isn't allowed in their religion, that shouldn't be the problem. Non-religious people shouldn't be held by their rules, they should be able to do what they want because it doesn't harm anyone else

BetaMax
01/06/13 10:10 pm

The select areas where Republicans tend to actually WANT the government to get in the way sometimes amuse me.

bs75758 Michigan
01/06/13 10:10 pm

I don't think it should be an option for depression. There are ways to come out of it. I think it should just be for those with no hope of recovering from an illness such as cancer and would have to live the remaining months of their lives in chronic pain.

Olivia420=] Maryland
01/06/13 10:10 pm

In that case than yah! Pain sucks I don't think I could deal with constant pain till I died of my ailment and I wouldn't want to be drugged out on pain meds till my time came either... If I was ever in that position it would defenetly be an option for me it's just not a good quality of life...

Itabliss Hello
01/06/13 10:10 pm

She had complete consciousness until the moment she died. She suffocated to death, because her lungs SLOWLY shut down. She proceeded to live and be aware as each system shut down and was in agonizing pain. I pray you never have to experience that, from any side, because you are a heartless a**hole

Brrrrrrrrr
01/06/13 10:10 pm

In other words, utterly useless. Stop confusing emotional reactions for reason.

BetaMax
01/06/13 10:09 pm

Don't drag the death penalty into this. Despite your best efforts, they are not the same thing. They don't always belong in the same conversation.

bryank21
01/06/13 10:09 pm

It's not legal in the US. It is in Denmark.

truspec Texas
01/06/13 10:08 pm

I feel strongly about this because I know I might be in a terrible situation in which there is no hope and I'm feeling tremendous pain. I want to have the option of killing myself painlessly because I believe I should be able to do what I want to my own body as long as it doesn't harm anyone else

KAnne Atlantic City, NJ
01/06/13 10:08 pm

I'm strongly in favor or hospice.

inge MIA
01/06/13 10:08 pm

I'm sure someone with a terminal illness would want to die with dignity, not risk a botched or messy way out.

bryank21
01/06/13 10:07 pm

Please, Republicans. I know you're always anxious to vote the opposite of Democrats, but don't you think the terminally ill should have the right to die painlessly and with dignity? What use is making them suffer? It's literal torture.

Zod Above Pugetropolis
01/06/13 10:07 pm

It already is, as well it should be. Simple humane, human decency.

Itabliss Hello
01/06/13 10:06 pm

She lived like this for YEARS. You know what happens when you lose mobility? You start getting bed sores and infections. You can't use the restroom by yourself, she had a raging yeast infection that went untreated for weeks. The strokes eventually started killing her brain, but not completely

liberalD2
01/06/13 10:06 pm

I agree with you 100% on that!

truspec Texas
01/06/13 10:05 pm

One person in the UK was suffering from locked-in syndrome from a stroke. He was paralyzed from the waist down and communicated by blinking. He asked the UK government for painless assisted suicide. They refused, so he starved himself. What a terrible way to end His life that was already terrible.

EarlyBird Portland
01/06/13 10:05 pm

Nuggs - just because you think everyone has something to live for, doesn't mean it's true.
If I feel I've lived my life, I have things in order, why shouldn't I have the right to to end my life with dignity?

RJ1969 SoCal
01/06/13 10:04 pm

Imagine metastasized tumors all over your body, growing in your bones, making them crack and split. Imagine that everyday it gets worse and worse and worse and no drugs can even come close to making it bearable. That's just a start as to what some people have to go through. one day,it might be yu

LAkers48 Minnesota
01/06/13 10:04 pm

Absolutely nothing ????. I just find it funny that people can find things like assisted suicide or the death penalty acceptable, but when it comes to allowing grown people to choose to consume marijuana or for a gay couple to marry... They have a problem. Live and let live. Live and let die,