Show Of Hands January 6th, 2013 12:00am

Should doctor-assisted suicide be legal?

jonny323
01/07/13 11:08 am

I'm just gonna throw my two cents in. You shouldn't tell someone they can't comment about their beliefs here. This is just a discussion of people with no power to change anything. I get just as angry when a politician uses religion to support his political beliefs, but they aren't one.

BeachSt Coastal Virginia
01/07/13 11:03 am

It's not wrong to commit suicide. It's just sad and something you obviously disagree with.

jonny323
01/07/13 10:56 am

I'm sorry, what exactly is an infant again? If a human is created when a sperm meets an egg, why don't we celebrate conceptionday instead of birthday?

nFavOfSecess Texas
01/07/13 10:52 am

These doctors are in it for the money.

If one is terminal and tired of suffering, WHY in hell should they not be allowed to end it??
Because they make more money off of you by keeping the machines going, the medicines flowing, the procedures proceeding.
Sad.

andrewv SC
01/07/13 10:52 am

Libertarians are just republicans who kick dogs.

jonny323
01/07/13 10:48 am

You can't give doctors the right to prescribe life ending meds to someone not dying. If you're not terminally ill, you'll have to do it yourself.

jonny323
01/07/13 10:45 am

It's not about the machines keeping you alive. It's about the horrible symptoms of some terminal diseases and the medicines they give you for them, such as horrible pain, incontinence, complete loss of memory, and a perpetual state of fear. Death by choice is more dignified to some than this.

jonny323
01/07/13 10:39 am

Letting someone die when they want to equals allowing a company to turn dead people into food?

veritas1 Panda
01/07/13 10:31 am

And yes, "forcing" in this context is perfectly objectable. Forcing someone to do something they don't want to do is very different from making your own life choices. This is not an issue of the former, rather it is a restriction of the latter, a clear infringement on a person's liberties.

veritas1 Panda
01/07/13 10:29 am

Actually it's more about rights, IMO. Individual liberty is incompatible with the government adopting someone's definition of life and the limits of one's right to one's own body and forcing it upon all.

veritas1 Panda
01/07/13 10:24 am

Such a slippery slope! First this, next the government will kidnap our children from brith and force them into labor camps making birth control pills and broken hangars!

Zod Above Pugetropolis
01/07/13 10:23 am

Don't think of it as doctor-assisted suicide, think of it as allowing the doctor to respond in a helpful way to your request for a more effective medication. If rigorous requirements are met, the doctor can write a prescription that YOU yourself can use to end your suffering if or when you're ready.

RandFan Headed to IPhone rehab
01/07/13 9:43 am

If religion is such a great guide for civilization, why are theocratic governments the most oppressive and barbaric?

If religion makes for good law, shouldn't slavery be legal? Capital punishment for working on Sundays? You can't pick and choose. You're either religious or you're rational.

RandFan Headed to IPhone rehab
01/07/13 9:41 am

I'll say it again. The question was "Should doctor assisted suicide be legal?" If you oppose it, basic logic says you want it illegal. Legality is binary. Whatever isn't illegal is legal, and vice versa. There's no middle ground. He was using religion to limit the options of everyone.

01/07/13 9:08 am

By asking for the government to fully legalize, you are. Remove government from ANY doctor-patient decisions and it's truly not offending anyone. Some people have differing beliefs on this so an official stand by the gov to not be involved at all would be better

Loadmaster Sacto
01/07/13 9:07 am

In cases of terminal or extreme illness, or debilitating injury, and by the expressed desire, by their own voice or hand, of the patient only. "I'm depressed because I'm - insert problem here-" isn't enough.

iryna
01/07/13 9:07 am

And that's why libertarians are better :3

01/07/13 9:06 am

Your discussion with him was guided away from law and to faith entirely. He never once said he was going to use the law to make it illegal. He was spreading a belief he truly supported and you put him down for it. If someone wants to use faith in medicine, so be it. Don't ridicule him.

iryna
01/07/13 9:05 am

JH90.. We're not asking for them to sponsor it, just to not criminalize those making a voluntary decision

RandFan Headed to IPhone rehab
01/07/13 9:03 am

My point with suggesting we keep religion out of this discussion is base upon the nature of the question. "Should doctor assisted suicide be illegal". As a question of law that pertains to everybody, religion should be excluded as government shouldn't be guided by one groups "faith"

01/07/13 9:03 am

Priest never insisted on using law to force anything on you. He was debating an ethical position with you on this whole debate. I don't think you grasped that throughout this discussion

01/07/13 9:01 am

THIS. That's definitely my issue with this whole thing. It would be a better if the government just wasn't involved on any way between doctor and patient. That way the state is not sponsoring the euthanasia.

glorfindel
01/07/13 8:58 am

I feel like it would be a very slippery slope to go down. Once voluntary euthanasia is made legal, it could lead to involuntary euthanasia too. :/

01/07/13 8:58 am

The government can't say no to you in this situation nor can they make you. My approach supports the fact that we look to government too much on rights we should already have.

RandFan Headed to IPhone rehab
01/07/13 8:57 am

I don't have a problem with an individual using their "faith" when making a PERSONAL choice. But when they want to use that "faith" in creating law, that's where I draw the line.

If only the 1st amendment said "from" instead of "of", the country would be FAR better off.

01/07/13 8:56 am

Ok yes I agree with that but Priest was never advocating that be law. He clearly said it was an ethical and social debate. Not legal as the government shouldn't be involved between a patient and a doctor at all.

suppressedID suck it Kyle
01/07/13 8:53 am

You worried your doctor doesn't like you?

Don't worry, cowboy, it's by request only.

RandFan Headed to IPhone rehab
01/07/13 8:52 am

Sometimes my use of language clouds others to my point.

By having assisted suicide protected under the law, people have a choice. Denouncing that choice as "against god" and working to make it illegal IS forcing your belief on others.

leary Dulag Luft
01/07/13 8:49 am

What a great question to ID dopes and set "ignore". Thanks Tony.

01/07/13 8:44 am

I gotcha now. Laws are put in place by what that society holds as a belief. We as a society see murder as wrong thus it's wrong. That's why you just figured it out. It's a given in our American society as it should be. Sorry for my confusion

01/07/13 8:42 am

I agree with the point you just made....you just figured it our, you didn't need a law. I don't understand the rebuttal here I guess

RandFan Headed to IPhone rehab
01/07/13 8:38 am

The law (generally) is in place to protect the intelligent from the stupid. Whats wrong with you If you need to be TOLD that stealing and killing is bad?!

My dad never sat me down and said "son, don't kill people". I kind of figured that one out on my own.

TempName14 Everywhere but nowhere
01/07/13 8:38 am

Should doctors be allowed to kill their patients?

That's the way the question should be asked.

01/07/13 8:32 am

If you think about it, every law has another side. Some people obviously don't believe murder is wrong because they still do it. The law needs to be there due to it affecting someone elses rights. So yes in a sense laws so try to dictate what people believe.

RandFan Headed to IPhone rehab
01/07/13 8:20 am

The law "forces" you to believe killing is wrong?

Really?!?
Shouldn't common sense tell us that?
"Treat others how you want them to treat you."
- Written thousands of years before "Jesus" was executed for political dissent.

bryank21
01/07/13 8:19 am

I don't understand why people don't realize that no one's trying to force the doctor. Obviously the doctor shouldn't be forced. Just find another doctor who's willing. The patient is the one who administers the medication, so the doctor doesn't physically do it anyway.

01/07/13 8:09 am

RandFan
I continued my discussion with you further up on a comment by Priest. I thought it was a continuation of this one :)

bryank21
01/07/13 8:08 am

If life isn't truly your own, why are we living. That's pointless. Your life is your own, and if you choose to waste it on religion, so be it. But you won't really be happy, you'll be brainwashed into thinking you're happy.

01/07/13 8:07 am

Good day!
When I posted these comments, I directed the first one's at RandFan if that clarifies it a bit. I thought this was a continuation of the discussion further down :)

RandFan Headed to IPhone rehab
01/07/13 8:04 am

Talking to people who aren't there.

Causing harm to oneself or others.

Failure to perceive reality.

Symptoms of mental illness and religion.

How is it again that I'm the ignorant one?

ELATeacher
01/07/13 8:01 am

Anyway, This has been a fun topic to discuss. I hope some of you enjoyed my thoughts as much as I enjoyed hearing yours, but I am a Catholic Priest, and there a few of us these days so I am busy, so it time to get back work. Have a nice day everyone,and at the risk of offending some: "God Bless"

01/07/13 7:59 am

And I agree that laws enforce beliefs. But under a constitutional government the belief is everyone has a right to do anything and everything as long as it never affects the rights of another person.That's why abortion is such a hot topic.We need less laws regarding everything so nobody feels forced

wetheslaves Live each moment fully
01/07/13 7:58 am

Rand is your mind closed to some of possibilities we are presenting to you? God interacts with many on a daily basis. Some it is a simple revelation and answers to prayers. Others it is powerful healing and miracles. You are not excluded from finding this for yourself. The truth is before you.

ELATeacher
01/07/13 7:58 am

Sorry JH90, I wasn't really reply to you. You seem to be the kind person I agree with. I think you would agree: Let every voice their opinions in a civilized manner. No personal attacks, just polite discourse.

ELATeacher
01/07/13 7:55 am

With that last response RandFan has just proved his prejudice and ignorance. people claim it religious people we are hateful, well I don't hate RandFan and enjoy hearing his opinions and debating with him/her, but clearly has no respect for those who disagree with him, so I will waste no more time.

pjatx Austin, TX
01/07/13 7:55 am

Another hypocritical "limited government" republican poll result. I thought you guys didn't want govt getting between you and your Dr.