Show Of Hands January 6th, 2013 12:00am

Should doctor-assisted suicide be legal?

bryank21
01/07/13 5:24 am

Yes, because a patient doesn't have to sign any contracts or anything....the doctor is definitely the decision maker...

bryank21
01/07/13 5:22 am

Really Centex? Tell me how a doctor heals someone of a terminal illness. I would think a doctor's job is to do what is best for the patient.

chemist1
01/07/13 5:19 am

If the person wants to murder themselves then fine, but the question is about DOCTOR assisted suicides, which means someone is helping them murder themselves. Wonder if you dems understand that suicide is murder....it is just murder of yourself. And this country had NEVER condoned murder.

satiricalnick meh
01/07/13 5:19 am

Lets say youre a doctor, and your worst enemy is in your hospital with terminal cancer, what do you do if doctor assisted suicide is legal? You kill him, and say we wanted to commit suicide! Its the perfect crime! Criminal lawyers will go bankrupt!

yepnope Maryland
01/07/13 5:17 am

Cuz mah bible told me so, and if I choose to follow the bible, you should have to too!! Oh, and also I get off on controlling other people's bodies, it's my conservative thing.

bryank21
01/07/13 5:15 am

They also say they won't cut anyone's skin. Should surgeons have to give up their license? Of course the Hippocratic oath has flaws, that's why laws are put in place. To change the status quo.

BeachSt Coastal Virginia
01/07/13 5:13 am

The question asked you. And you said 'no'.

kitten2cat Unknown
01/07/13 5:10 am

Hooked to machines, in mind blowing pain, can't do anything for yourself, reduced to basically a baby like state, and always confused or concerned. Why would you force someone to live through such an experience if you know they'll die soon anyways? There is no dignity in that.

BeachSt Coastal Virginia
01/07/13 5:06 am

Why? Because YOU don't like it? Do you have the right to tell somebody that they MUST live? We all handle things differently, stay out of peoples' personal decision. It's not up to you.

BeachSt Coastal Virginia
01/07/13 5:05 am

Conservatives want people to suffer? Don't people have a right to their own body? Oh, that's right...not with yall.

38041 Georgia
01/07/13 5:05 am

Thanks, expa. It may be dangerous to abandon everything we believe all at once, but we have to accept the fact that even our most fundamental truths might not be so sacred.

X12YrOldPWNSX
01/07/13 5:04 am

Then It shouldn't be legal

ryno Flyover Country
01/07/13 5:04 am

EC: I don't support the death penalty. Is that a problem?

BeachSt Coastal Virginia
01/07/13 5:02 am

That's what it's for, but what's it to you if they want to end their life and they AREN'T terminally ill?

BeachSt Coastal Virginia
01/07/13 5:01 am

Not if it's legal. They cant exactly sue for malpractice. But I mean, hey, I could be wrong.

X12YrOldPWNSX
01/07/13 5:00 am

No unless they're really sick and in pain and are going to die soon anyway

jimmyjelly BFE, PA
01/07/13 4:49 am

What about freedoms conservatives?

Daniel17LU Virginia
01/07/13 4:48 am

I said no because personally I believe it's wrong, but I believe it should be up to the states to decide by its citizens.

aria25
01/07/13 4:42 am

I'm afraid too many things could go wrong. The family of the suicide patient may become very upset and go after the doctor. It's asking for trouble.

jacmcmaho
01/07/13 4:39 am

As long as their is extensive proof that this is truly what the patient wants then I don't see a problem with it

gonzoboy Arizona
01/07/13 4:34 am

Difficult (for me) issue to be absolute on, 'cuz of my Religious upbringing. On one hand, I recognize the precious gift life is, yet I can't help believing ANYone, Spirit or otherwise, endorsing someone's ongoing unimaginable pain and suffering, or irreversible vegetative state. I pressed "Yes". :(

praetorianus65
01/07/13 4:21 am

If I should have a lingering death then being in the care of good doctors and the best medical technology to keep me alive as long as humanly possible - even if in the end hooked up to numerous machines while a team stands by to defibrillate - that would be the most dignified death I can imagine.

praetorianus65
01/07/13 4:02 am

@JackTorS: they shouldn't.
It's contained in the oath.

DavesNotHere where am I
01/07/13 4:02 am

People should be allowed to die with dignity.

FastFusion nj
01/07/13 3:50 am

Yes, absolutely, But we are a Republic governed by laws not a Democracy that goes by popular vote. Good thing or popular sentiment could actually destroy our morals and our freedoms. But my sentiment is let the most terminal choose what they want by their beliefs.

JPolgarFan
01/07/13 3:50 am

Stjohnac.....brilliant comment. A truth that can be applied to mostly anything. Stick too concretely to "tradition" and "values" and you end up losing the most beautiful thing about life...change and evolution.

38041 Georgia
01/07/13 3:19 am

No question, it should be legal. When, how, and by whom is the tricky part.

veritas1 Panda
01/07/13 3:19 am

Except no medical student (save 3 schools) actually swears by that oath. The version the majority of students pledge to says nothing like that.

JackTorS Clap you stupid bastards
01/07/13 3:19 am

What about those doctors that perform abortions?

38041 Georgia
01/07/13 3:18 am

Fine, change the oath. It was created by people and is therefore subject to revision.

gademchick Georgia
01/07/13 2:51 am

Yes then your loved ones wouldn't have to find you overdosed or shot.

Isomax TIC TOC
01/07/13 2:48 am

We have people taking oaths that are suppose to protect and defend at all cost , and we don't hold them to their commitment . Why would we expect a person in the medical field to be held to a higher standard . I think the answer is Soylent Green .

kaik12 Twin Cities, MN
01/07/13 2:30 am

Read "A Crime of Compassion" and you'll all understand why it should be legal.

kaik12 Twin Cities, MN
01/07/13 2:29 am

Only for those who are terminally ill. Particularly those who are physically disabled and would struggle with being able to do it themselves.

praetorianus65
01/07/13 2:11 am

I quote from the hippocratic oath:

"I will neither give a deadly drug to anybody who asked for it, nor will I make a suggestion to this effect. Similarly I will not give to a woman an abortive remedy."

A doctor is supposed to protect life not destroy it.
If you value life, like the oath.

Arkansas123 Neoconservative
01/07/13 1:40 am

No, we should not encourage suicide by making it easier and by removing the social stigma attached to it. Furthermore, doctors should not be in the business of killing people.

drcynic Pittsburgh, PA
01/07/13 1:33 am

I favor it in cases of incurable illness. A person has that right.

centexken Republic of Texas
01/07/13 1:27 am

A doctor's job is to heal, not kill.

jonny323
01/07/13 1:18 am

We currently have plenty of laws that force people to act against their moral objections.

tdaddy Kentucky
01/07/13 12:59 am

Indeed you are right, it is totally not the governments place. Governments should look at the bright side, if all the terminally ill people getting entitlement checks (Medicare, Medicaid, Social Security) were allowed to cash in their chips on demand it would benefit society in so many ways.

jonny323
01/07/13 12:58 am

4 the chance of accidental ingestion of the pills, though how do you accidentally take over 100 of the wrong pills. And 5 that it was death without dignity, but I would think that there is more dignity in going out by choice painlessly than struggling with a horribly painful disease.

jonny323
01/07/13 12:56 am

We voted on that here in MA. The main arguments against we're: 1 that any pharmacy could fill the prescription without a doctor, though the doctor would obviously have to write the prescription. 2 the medication given were too strong. 3 you needed to take 200 pills which I believe contradicts #2...

schismpunk Washington
01/07/13 12:54 am

"small government" republicans... Right...

LucentInsanity Seattle
01/07/13 12:50 am

No replies? Give me one logical reason, with no ties to religion, of why it shouldn't be legal? (And I definitely have a say in this because I'm fighting what can easily turn into a terminal disease.)

NOCHAINZ2GIVE TX
01/07/13 12:47 am

I want to say no, because suicide affects many more people than those passing away, but on the other hand, I don't think it is the government's place to tell you that you can't do such a thing with your own life.

tdaddy Kentucky
01/07/13 12:37 am

We want our sick/dying to know we are there for them. Anything that might take their mind off what we have sacrificed, anything that might make them doubt how much their pain hurts us, anything like Rx heroin is out of the question for those reasons. They must feel "our love" to the bitter end.

TopsQueen Oregon Coast
01/07/13 12:35 am

Here in Oregon where it is legal the doctor has the option not to assist. Actually think it be kind of hard to find a doctor to assist.