Show Of Hands May 25th, 2012 12:00am

On economic issues, are you more liberal or conservative?

MGLC New Mexico
05/25/12 12:31 pm

@MrMc

Talking about how the state fails to run industry and how they run the judicial system is different. Judicial = justice, healthcare = industry. You can't privatize CP, you can privatize HC, so you offered a false analogy

05/25/12 12:28 pm

For example, they cry that Big Government is taking away their freedom. Fine, then tell me how one can't trust Big Government to do anything right, yet support capital punishment. Isn't capital punishment state sponsored execution?

05/25/12 12:28 pm

A true conservative would be one who is true to conservative values., not one who uses the politics of distraction to drive a non issue wedge between people.

UCLASucks
05/25/12 12:28 pm

Look at the party filters: Only the far left voted liberal.

Fresh1
05/25/12 12:27 pm

I'm libertarian now: fiscally conservative, socially liberal. Just how the founding fathers wanted it.

Thanks for everything Ron Paul

Fresh1
05/25/12 12:24 pm

Obama's deficit reduction plan, per year $ 3,600
Interest on national debt paid in 2011 $ 4,544
(sources USdebtclock/treasurydirect/Romney website/Obama's budget proposal)

Fresh1
05/25/12 12:24 pm

USA's BUDGET (minus 8 zeros)
Annual family income $ 22,469
Money the family spent $ 35,755
New debt on credit card per year $ 13,286
Existing balance on credit card $157,080
Romney planned budget cut per year starting in 2016 MAYBE, in his best-case scenario $ 5,000

mama3
05/25/12 12:21 pm

Mcmc2- to clarify I also tend to vote on the person- just usually works out that way lol

NUwriter
05/25/12 11:59 am

MrMc2, what would you consider a "real" conservative to be?

CommonCent
05/25/12 11:47 am

History has shown, time and time again, that liberal views on the economy just don't work. it's not a matter of party affiliation. It's a matter of common macroeconomic sense.

05/25/12 11:36 am

@mama3 I'm in upstate NY. I tend to vote for the person, not the party and I did vote for Pataki. I hope the repubs put someone better on the ballet next time, I really can't stand Coumo.

PSU.labtech
05/25/12 11:33 am

I hope the Libertarian party becomes a legitimate third choice over the next few years... The last two polls show many people could align with the party.

05/25/12 11:31 am

Agreed w/ dirtymagnu.

STOP it!

mama3
05/25/12 11:30 am

MrMc2- where in ny do you live? I agree paladino was HORRIBLE. though I usually vote dem for gov and repub for mayor. Repub candidates on the state level always leave me unimpressed.

05/25/12 11:28 am

The right has become so brainwashed that these wackos are the only ones that can make it through a primary. I just hope that the real conservative assert themselves and realign their party.

05/25/12 11:27 am

I voted have republican in the past, but not this one.The republicans pit up this nutcase, Carl Paladino and I had to hold my nose and pull the lever for Cuomo

05/25/12 11:27 am

The media does like to pigeon hole everyone. I've been into politics for over 25 years and I am staunchly independent. I now consider myself anti republican because they've gone off the rails and have left me no real choices. I live in NY and can't stand Cuomo..

prterri
05/25/12 11:21 am

I think because the media are so into pitting the two sides against each other, it makes conservatives less likely to consider the options. On the other hand, it seems even some Dems want to see better handling of govt. resources, which I agree with.

prterri
05/25/12 11:17 am

Love how Jaques jumps right to name calling when we are having too rational a discussion!

05/25/12 11:17 am

Just an observation. Look at the liberal responses vs. conservative. Is there a thoughtful conservative out there? Anybody?

mama3
05/25/12 11:13 am

Me, too! I mean Guiliani and Bloomberg are far from perfect (what politician is?) but I think they've done great things for this city. I don't agree with all they've done but overall, I approve! Now if they could only revamp the MTA so they stop mugging us every paycheck.

05/25/12 11:13 am

Make people get jobs, stop rewarding laziness while stealing twice as much as you need to from my paycheck.

prterri
05/25/12 11:05 am

Good for you, Mamma! I wish more national politicians would be like NY Reps.

prterri
05/25/12 11:03 am

What really saddens me about unions is how the media buy into the vilification of the teachers' unions. My sister has been taught for 30 years, and her benefits are the worst they've been and she makes less than she did five years ago. Yet the media seem to support the system that punishes loyalty

mama3
05/25/12 11:02 am

I don't think I'm either. I tend to be moderate. But I chose conservative because although I'm a liberal, I've voted republican in NYC mayoral elections time and time again. NYC repubs are socially liberal but fiscally conservative. I can dig it. all other repubs lose me w/ religion.

cup0pizza .
05/25/12 11:02 am

Based on the financial disasters wrought upon our poor nation thanks to Reagan & the Bushes, definitely liberal. Can't be any worse than that horrible trickle-down sh!t.

05/25/12 10:58 am

The label "Job Creator" which is a completely made up name being used to justify tax breaks for the wealthy. It's absurd.

05/25/12 10:58 am

@pterri The politics of distraction worked for the status quo. It's the divide and conquer mentality that has been used forever to keep the masses from uniting and starting real change. Just look at the hostility toward unions, the one organization designed to help workers.

05/25/12 10:54 am

All contributions should be taxed, individual or institutional.

acctdele
05/25/12 10:52 am

If we tax contributions to PACs or from corporations then we tax contributions from unions also. The problem I have with increasing taxes of any kind is that politicians (both R and D) will just take that as an indication to spend more. It's like giving someone a new credit card rewarding them.

prterri
05/25/12 10:40 am

I wish there was a way to make those things happen. The BS that passes for political campaigning these days makes me sick. It isn't about issues or what a person will contribute to the job; it's about how bad the other guy is. What's worse is our news media give it all credibility by covering it.

05/25/12 10:36 am

I would hope that taxing political campaign donations mighty stem the tide of super pacs. I also believe that if you can't vote, you can't donate. Donations should also be limited to politicians that you can vote for; in other words, constituents.

prterri
05/25/12 10:34 am

I know. That's why I like throwing a bunch of facts at them that they can't dispute. They usually start calling me names after that or if I'm lucky, they clam up.

05/25/12 10:32 am

@pterri I wouldn't bother trying to have a logical exchange of ideas with people like lonestarco They're so brainwashed by the right wing media that they are incapable of independent thought; I have tried.

prterri
05/25/12 10:27 am

lonestarco, try backing that statement up by explaining how Reganomics worked in the 80's (18% interest rates and S&L failure) or how the Bush tax cuts helped the current economy. Economists can't figure it out but maybe you can help them. Last time we had a balanced budget was with Clinton.

prterri
05/25/12 10:24 am

However if something like that happened. It would be imperative that PAC's be eliminated/severely reined in since they don't actually contribute to campaigns much in favor of running whatever ads they want on their own. They already have far too much influence.

05/25/12 10:23 am

All of the economic policies that were tried we're all liberal failures.

prterri
05/25/12 10:21 am

Ooh, good idea on the campaign contributions MrMc2! I think that would help even the playing field for political funding considerably. I would think that in the interest of keeping things fair for smaller races like town/county ones though, below a certain point they would be exempt.

05/25/12 10:16 am

Flat tax on corps. I also think campaign donations should be taxed at 50%.

05/25/12 10:16 am

This is a tough one. I put liberal because I vehemently oppose the Ryan budget and he seems to be the hero of the conservatives on this issue. I think we should eliminate income tax and move to a consumption tax. Fund the fed gov with an Internet sales tax and states with local sales tax.

selfthink2 Utah
05/25/12 10:03 am

too many politicians do what's in the interest of the next election and not what is right for the long term. it's like companies focusing on the next quarter's results. eventually this bites everyone in the butt. look at Greece right now if you doubt me.

smart1
05/25/12 9:54 am

military spending at the same level as education and health. problem solved.

05/25/12 9:49 am

Libertarian... Balanced budget amendment please... If I'm supposed to live within my means, why shouldn't the government?

roybiker12
05/25/12 9:23 am

You can never raise taxes fast enough. Washington will always be able to spend faster than they can collect. The only way to stop them is by restricting revenue flow to them.

roybiker12
05/25/12 9:21 am

The is no well of wealth in the country from which liberals can decide on its distribution. All wealth is created by individuals who risk their money and their labor. Liberals stifle that by punishing the creators of wealth & rewarding the sloths.