Show Of Hands August 24th, 2011 12:00am

Do you think there is any chance that the 2012 apocalypse predictions might come true?

08/24/11 3:53 pm

Technically, there is a chance. But do I believe the predictions is true? No. It's just a hypothesis. There is no evidence that supports the claim.

08/24/11 3:51 pm

Only as a self-fulfilling prophecy. People panic because of prediction, cause problems, chaos ensues, prophecy comes true.

Handy
08/24/11 3:48 pm

only if Obama gets reelected....hahaha

LauraLargo Florida
08/24/11 3:40 pm

It's already here. The whole world won't end, but it will seem like it if you happen to be in an area that gets hit with a natural disaster, war, famine, drought, etc. These things too shall pass, but don't be blind about preparing for emergencies.

true Home
08/24/11 3:40 pm

I believe in the rapture.......not the 2012 crap.

snuzzy
08/24/11 3:26 pm

Just hope I don't do all my Christmas shopping for no good reason. :-)

08/24/11 3:24 pm

Is there a chance? Yes. Every day there is a chance the world could end. Yay quantum mechanics. Is December 12th or whatever 2012 special? No. The chance of the world ending is equally probable on that day as it is today.

08/24/11 3:20 pm

I believe in them more and more so every day.

leftocentr Oregon
08/24/11 3:17 pm

I see what u are saying about there being a chance. But I hope u admit it is a teeny tiny little bitty chance. 

reichukey Oregon
08/24/11 3:15 pm

We don't know exactly when the apocalypse will happen so it could be tomorrow or a few years or a million decades. We won't know until it happens.

08/24/11 3:03 pm

geezzzzz not another blame everything on humans person. maybe we are all so heavy that the earth will spin out of it's orbit or the butterfly effect will kick in and weather like high wind and rain will kill us all! geeezzzzzzz!

GayIsOkay
08/24/11 3:00 pm

Well, all I know is that I'll be freaking out about it until the day after it's supposed to happen. I always do that...

valeriejo ramble on
08/24/11 2:59 pm

@left- maybe, maybe not. That's really all I'm saying. I'm not saying it's def going to happen. The poll asked is there a chance, I said yes so I gave my reasoning behind my opinion. Anyone who believes there is absolutely NO chance is naive. After all the world has to end sometime.

ladytron
08/24/11 2:56 pm

I'm having a "guess what the hell DIDN'T HAPPEN" party on New Years Eve 2012...

tc25
08/24/11 2:54 pm

Not apocalypse. Natural selection. Earth is way too overcrowded, and we pose as a pest to Earth. So, the only natural thing to occur is for us to be eliminated or close to it. Obviously the Earth itself is not a sentient being, but it probably has defense mechanisms o protect itself

Zack100 Tatooine
08/24/11 2:52 pm

@turtleboy 9/11 had nothing to do with the earth. It was a group of crazies hijacking planes. Unless god sent them they had nothing to do with the destruction of the earth in 2012.

leftocentr Oregon
08/24/11 2:51 pm

The earth has been quaking for 4 billion years. U think 200 years of data has any validity that the earth is going to quake itself to bits next year??

AndreasEdlef
08/24/11 2:48 pm

It's not gonna happen. Media is just making it a big deal.

Nerdfighter
08/24/11 2:47 pm

Add up the date of 9/11 and the day Japan had the earthquake and you'll get December 21, 2012 haha

valeriejo ramble on
08/24/11 2:47 pm

Jxs- I agree 100%. And @leftocenter- obv we dont have records of quakes going that far back but they're still steadily occurring more often since we started keeping accurate reports of quakes on the richter scale in the late 1800s see for yourself:
www.earth.webecs.co.uk/index.htm

Zack100 Tatooine
08/24/11 2:43 pm

The mayans predicted it thousands of years ago! The rapture was predicted a month maybe before it was gonna happen! Clearly they had some reason for the calendar ending. I believe it was ALIENS!!!!!!

08/24/11 2:41 pm

or that "only god knows" is naive. Wake up people. I'm not saying build a bunker or stock up... But really almost anything is possible.

08/24/11 2:40 pm

Do I think the world will end in 2012? Probably not. Could the world end at any moment? Yeah I think so. There are many natural (meteor, super volcano, etc) and unnatural (nuclear warfare, bio terrorism) that could end civilization or damn near wipe it out. Those who think they're invisible

787dude2
08/24/11 2:39 pm

How odd, younger people said yes more.

USNavyVet Sonar Man STG2
08/24/11 2:37 pm

My birthday is Dec 22 2012'I will be around to see it and Christmas also.

jamesmay Tampa
08/24/11 2:36 pm

I'm currenty building my spaceship...just kiffing

leftocentr Oregon
08/24/11 2:34 pm

Like the word sheeple. Describes the majority of humans out there very well.

USNavyVet Sonar Man STG2
08/24/11 2:34 pm

No it is just hokum(garbage) its not going to happen at all.

08/24/11 2:33 pm

Only the common breeder human sheeple drones think this will happen. People in my intellectual class know such foolishness is nonsense.

leftocentr Oregon
08/24/11 2:31 pm

Earthquakes are not occurring more frequently. There is just more news coverage of them. Just like all the hype about shark attacks a few years back. We have only about 500 reasonable years of geologic history from humans. That is a grain of sand on a huge beach.

08/24/11 2:31 pm

,there's always a chance

leftocentr Oregon
08/24/11 2:27 pm

Oh no!! Y2K all over again. Run!

08/24/11 2:24 pm

No. Media hype, again.
As said below, todays Mayans may think it will be a big event for them, but not for the world. The few Mayans I know laugh when I tell them about the snow we have here in the winter, for crying out loud - it's inconceivable to them. You talk about a Local culture, it's theirs!

valeriejo ramble on
08/24/11 2:13 pm

Including yesterday's east coast earthquake! & if you look at quake stats they have consistently been occurring more frequently. On top of that there is a lot of political and economical upheaval.. To me it feels like we're on the brink of something.. Hopefully not something apocalyptic..

valeriejo ramble on
08/24/11 2:09 pm

It's pole switch that happens every 11 years and there is scientific proof that the poles in earth have changed in the past (like thousands of yrs ago) but no one knows how that would effect life on earth. And seriously, I can't be the only one to notice all the natural disasters lately..

valeriejo ramble on
08/24/11 2:07 pm

The reason most people think it's stupid is because of the way they present it in the media but if you read what scientists say it's not all that ridiculous. There are volcanoes that are statistically due for eruptions and fault lines that are statistically due for quakes. The sun is due for..

valeriejo ramble on
08/24/11 2:05 pm

I don't really believe that anyone can predict the exact day, and I dont know if it'll be in 2012 but there i don't care what anyone says it seems like there is a lot going on in the world today. Scientifically it's more than possible for it to happen, in fact it already ha happened. I think..

08/24/11 2:02 pm

The sky is falling!!! The sky is falling!!!

jakedeving
08/24/11 2:02 pm

I believe the Mayan calendar just resets on 12/21/12

08/24/11 1:37 pm

And wen tht day passes I want everyone who said it would come true to rethink their ideas and see if it still seems possible.

cogrl Colorado
08/24/11 1:37 pm

Given their technology, the Mayan calendar had to stop somewhere.

08/24/11 1:34 pm

Absolutely no way. The same man that started this rumor started one around 1970's and LOOK! It didn't come true.

christena
08/24/11 1:33 pm

I don't necessarily think that it will happen, but there's obviously a chance.

Awesome San Antonio
08/24/11 1:28 pm

The Mayans believed that the date coming up would be a big event for their people. If you interview a Mayan (yes, they still exist) about the "apocalypse," he won't know what you're talking about.

cogrl Colorado
08/24/11 1:26 pm

@jsx23: of course it turned religious. What do you think the Mayans were doing? The whole thing was about their gods.