Show Of Hands January 3rd, 2013 12:00am

Arab news network Al-Jazeera has purchased Al Gore's cable TV network Current TV, which it plans to turn into Al-Jazeera America. Will you tune in?

glorfindel
01/04/13 7:42 am

I'm not a fan of Al Jazeera but they're probably better than American MSM like CNN and Fox. Heck, most things are. Not that I'm going to watch it, though. I rarely watch TV.

glorfindel
01/04/13 7:41 am

Al Gore turned down Glenn Beck for Al Jazeera LOL.

magnum
01/04/13 7:00 am

That's not going to happen. It's one if the most oppressive religions towards women I've ever seen. One day, when all their women are with foreigners because they are tired of being treated that way, maybe they will see the need to change but, that won't happen for a long time.

anarchy GET OFF MY LAWN
01/04/13 6:54 am

I hate you because you're whiney, not because you have a different view point.

bsweete
01/04/13 6:17 am

As a feminist I can not support anything run by Muslims until they start treating women as equals.

wetheslaves Live each moment fully
01/04/13 6:16 am

So we are not the only ones fighting to control the minds of others.

happylife
01/04/13 5:10 am

No because I wouldn't take $ from a group that has been associated with terrorism- duh

kmh1951
01/04/13 4:28 am

Can't make it look any worse than the far right does.
I am not going to watch this channel anymore than I ever watched Current.
But freedom of speech is alive and well last I looked and protected by hopefully all Americans.
But is it weird to me, yes a little.

ELATeacher
01/04/13 4:21 am

Fartdroid, yes I would. I would like to know every groups point of view even those I disagree with. If I didn't why would I read comment by ignorant people like you who assume all Arabs are terrorist.

116
01/04/13 4:20 am

I think it's a decent news network, like CNN, however I very rarely watch TV news.

2katz I live in Nebraska
01/04/13 3:14 am

And I'm conservative and don't thump my Bible, own a gun, milk a cow, or hate people who have different viewpoints from mine. (like those of you who hate me for that reason.)

gonzoboy Arizona
01/04/13 3:13 am

@SpitBoss, Al Jazeera is not a person. It is the name of an Arabic news service. Al Jazeera means "The Island", I THINK because of its location in the Arabian peninsula. Al Jazeera is a news network, like CNN or FOX are news networks.

2katz I live in Nebraska
01/04/13 3:06 am

Unbelievable. The Al part is not a guy's name like Al Gore. It's an Arab name like the Al in Al Qaida. It's an Arab news agency. It's frightening that some of you people here are allowed to vote. I will tune in now and then, as I watch/listen to a broad spectrum of news and discussion.

kut17
01/04/13 2:56 am

I worded my previous statement wrong. I was implying that Fox allows other opinions on their shows whereas MSNBC rarely does.

kut17
01/04/13 2:55 am

Haha! Of course MSNBC invites Democrats. That's all that makes up their programming.

SpitBoss
01/04/13 2:26 am

Uhhhhhhhh, the far left is all that makes us look decent. Who the fuck is al Jazeera?

willcarb
01/04/13 2:22 am

I'm gonna tune in just to see how the far left is trying to make America look bad.

SpitBoss
01/04/13 2:17 am

Someone please fill me in. If it changes names to al Jazeera tv... I wont ever tune in. Who is he?

SpitBoss
01/04/13 2:16 am

Ok, google is pretty hazy about this guy. Who is he? Will the programming stay the same? Is he a democrat or someone foreign?

commonsense America isnt racist
01/04/13 1:36 am

Actually , al got MANY offers to buy his station. He just choose this company specifically. He had a better offer from an American buyer.

Vincere Seattle
01/03/13 11:58 pm

@kut17, Haha, MSNBC doesn't invite democrats on?

But seriously, they're both pretty biased. I mostly rely on NPR, USA Today, and Bloomberg (for radio, print, and T.V., respectively).

ohai
01/03/13 11:37 pm

I'll stick to American news.
I know too little about international networks to judge for myself if the news is truly presented in an unbiased fashion.

godcyanide Probably gone for good
01/03/13 11:36 pm

As disappointed as I am by this, it's not like many people were tuning in. He's fortunate to have gotten that deal - most of that quite luscious large number Gore walks with is actually for the carrier contracts and not the network itself. It's smart business for both sides.

ilikepi Somewhere near Japan
01/03/13 11:31 pm

I do find fox a little annoyingly biased even though I agree with a lot of it but they do present facts and that's more than I can say for a lot of things

ilikepi Somewhere near Japan
01/03/13 11:29 pm

And then they picked up their pitchforks and milked the cow while chanting the lord's prayer like all republicans do.

Evan812
01/03/13 11:29 pm

What an incredibly asinine statement. Many republicans like myself will not be tuning in to "Al-Jezeera America" because of the fact that al-Jezeera has never denounced the terrorist organizations that broadcast assassination tapes as al-Jezeera programming.

praetorianus65
01/03/13 11:28 pm

Any news source, no matter how biased, broadens your horizon - and even if only to show you that it is biased - if it is.
I used to listen to the Soviet radio news/TASS in the 80s and barely agreed with a single thing - but good to hear what they thought about us from the horse's mouth not hearsay.

acavemand The Burgh
01/03/13 10:33 pm

96% of Republicans won't. So I'm guessing about 76% of Republicans saw a name starting with Al- and voted no to "keep them dirty Muslims outta 'Murica. Home of the free! Fair and balanced! Monster trucks! No-Bama!"
And the other 20% just doesn't like watching the news.

acavemand The Burgh
01/03/13 10:26 pm

Because nothing can replace all the classic programs featured on Current TV. Give me a break.

acavemand The Burgh
01/03/13 10:23 pm

But the individuals at Al-Jazeera aren't Islamic Jihadists! How do I know? First clue is that they're all still in one piece rather than scattered throughout a bus and street. They're businesspeople and news anchors. That's like saying you won't watch Bill O'Rielly because Catholic priests rape kids

cass95 Jesus 2021
01/03/13 10:22 pm

Turns out the guy that "invented the Internet" continues to be a sellout. Gross.

acavemand The Burgh
01/03/13 10:20 pm

Speaking of stereotypes did anybody else hear that @arste, on account of being American, is a fat, lazy slob who feels entitled to everything and owns 100 guns? And since he/she is from NY that also automatically means he/she drives a taxi and says Ahr you tawkin' tah me?!?

PartyJustin R.O.C.K. in the R.O.C.
01/03/13 10:14 pm

I said no, only because I don't really watch tv. I've read some of Al Jazeera's reporting online and it seems fair and innocuous. Don't see why it has to be dismissed out of hand though... I seriously doubt it will be any more extreme than the BBC or NPR.

PartyJustin R.O.C.K. in the R.O.C.
01/03/13 10:10 pm

That's the spirit! Who cares what people who don't share your views think!

tabbser
01/03/13 9:50 pm

I have no form of broadcast tv. I see no adverts. Ever. I've taken control of my tv on my terms, Al Jazeera has nothing to offer me.

kut17
01/03/13 9:41 pm

Say what you will about Fox, you can't deny they invite Democrats on their shows to debate. I've never seen MSNBC do that.

SouthernG Man Cave
01/03/13 9:24 pm

It will lose its ass just like it did under Al's leadership

tjrooks kingwood, TX
01/03/13 9:22 pm

@marathon, thankfully the new channel would not be the Arabic version, so it's just another new source, similar to the BBC in tone and content.

curly
01/03/13 9:18 pm

Most definitely will tune in. We all could use some more perspective from the Middle East, and vice versa.

Vincere Seattle
01/03/13 9:04 pm

@kut17, What does that make Fox?

acctdele
01/03/13 9:03 pm

Some of us travel and speak other languages. Watch the Arabic version and say the same thing.

acctdele
01/03/13 9:02 pm

Really? Watch the Arabic version of the channel and them try and say the same thing.

acctdele
01/03/13 8:59 pm

Watch the Arabic version and have someone translate for you and get back to us. Speaking more than English is a highly valuable skill.