Show Of Hands August 10th, 2012 12:00am

Which are more important to you: social issues (gay marriage, abortion, etc.) or economic issues (jobs, taxes, etc.)?

Planoneck Guam
08/10/12 8:36 am

@oreoLover: People like you are why I voted economic.

TitaniumOreo Upstate New York
08/10/12 8:30 am

I said social because I don't understand economics

08/10/12 8:25 am

I hope someday soon gays have the same rights as everyone but, our economy is miserable, our government is bought by the wealthy and we give tons of people free rides who are unwilling to work. We need to focus on economy and recovery before china owns America.

Aliggan China and Florida
08/10/12 8:23 am

I feel that people should be allowed and have protected their basic rights before we can provide them ~ I'd rather live under a minimal government state than a totalitarian communist state. Although communism is preferable!

08/10/12 8:22 am

I agree with Gunfighter

Gunfighter
08/10/12 7:56 am

The only social issues that I care about are abortion and guns, and even those are less important than economic issues.

SnowKatcher The Road To Nowhere
08/10/12 7:55 am

Social issues.
The economy will always ebb and flow, but it is social issues that guide the country as it goes forward and determine the make up of this nation.

wiildkat Propertarian
08/10/12 7:46 am

Democrats are democrats because their politics are ruled by their heart, not by logic and fact, else all would be libertarian.

MGLC New Mexico
08/10/12 7:39 am

I always care about social issues more. I don't know why

bturney
08/10/12 7:31 am

My answer would change on this one... If our government had any concept of financial responsibility I wouldn't be as concerned with the financial side of things... I support gay marriage, etc.. But right now, our country's financial health is most important... And we can't spend now and pay later!!!

NYevo NY
08/10/12 7:15 am

@Amuto: look up the phrase "Tyranny of the majority". Its why we have the judicial branch and why the supreme court is a lifelong appointment

08/10/12 7:00 am

The economy affects everybody. Social issues should be on the back burner. Our job creation and unemployment rate are bad.

honored
08/10/12 6:57 am

Abortion and gay marriage should be legal, there shouldn't be a big fuss about it, just get it out of the way of our main focus, the economy.

Mags99
08/10/12 6:57 am

As I see it the republicans have a war going against women's rights, gay rights, black rights, brown rights, and I guess anyone that is not white. This election right now is all about protecting people's rights and anyone who not part of the one percent club.

Mags99
08/10/12 6:57 am

Mags99
08/10/12 6:57 am

Mags99
08/10/12 6:57 am

Mags99
08/10/12 6:57 am

commonsense America isnt racist
08/10/12 6:49 am

All Americans are treated fairly.
It's rare that you find a group of people that are being discriminated against now-a-days.

All though the Christians are being attacked by gay folks for their beliefs.

commonsense America isnt racist
08/10/12 6:47 am

Right now, economic issues are on the top of most peoples agenda.
Although social issues are still in the background.

HolyBabble Mississippi
08/10/12 6:44 am

We need too go back too the good old days when we white folk cood own slaves we had a stronng economee back then my ancezters owned slaves and i prowd of it i dont give a dam about minoritees!!!!!! And back then homo stuff was illegall they locked the queers up in a cage wear they beelong

EarlyBird Portland
08/10/12 6:35 am

Right now, economic issues are more important to me. We can't fix anything until the economy gets back on track.

Zod Above Pugetropolis
08/10/12 6:34 am

The two are interrelated, but I think the social issues are more important. If everyone is treated fairly, has equal opportunity to chase their dreams without undue intrusion, and has an equal obligation to contribute, the little things like jobs and taxes take care of themselves.

Threeper301 Gilbert, AZ
08/10/12 6:30 am

.....2 men want a job, and they both take a test to see if they're qualified. Let's say the white man scores just 2 points higher than the minority man, but the man who is a minority gets the job just because he is a minority. THAT is the result of govt. enforcement of "social equality"; NOT equal.

Threeper301 Gilbert, AZ
08/10/12 6:25 am

@ blockhippie: the problem with "social equality" is that it allows for the government to play favorites just because of skin color, income, etc. That's not equal. Perfect example: Affirmative Action....

Threeper301 Gilbert, AZ
08/10/12 6:21 am

Both categories of issues are equally important; we shouldn't have to choose.

ishady 86451132020
08/10/12 6:19 am

Social issues are not always "selfish" or entitlement issues. Civil rights are important. Why is the right working so hard on social issues if they think the economy is more important. You would think the big business party would be concentrating on that at least most of the time.

adog
08/10/12 6:19 am

At this point economical issues, but usually social issues are more important to me

myredcivic
08/10/12 6:18 am

We need to begin fixing this country financially before anything else. Then we can focus on other things. Too bad it's going to take a long time with this monstrous debt. LOL at all the people who picked social issues.

08/10/12 6:15 am

NYevo the only reason social issues would become the most important thing if white people weren't allowed to be married would be because they affect a larger group of people

08/10/12 6:12 am

Right way, I too care about the economic issues we have but Mitt cannot fix this in a single four year term or even in an eight year term. I believe he can put us on the right path toward fixing our economic issues but it'll take a long time to fix

08/10/12 6:06 am

Lol at the homosexual democrats.

medicjones
08/10/12 6:01 am

The choices are not mutually exclusive. They are intertwined and both are equally important.

NYevo NY
08/10/12 5:32 am

The economy needs more focus right now. That doesnt make it more important

glorfindel
08/10/12 5:25 am

Economy except for abortion, that is equally important to me. Also ending the wars and protecting our liberties.

chi
08/10/12 5:13 am

I agree. I can't believe this result for democrats. when it comes down to it.. social issues are selfish and entitlement issues. economic issues affect everyone and should be at the list. govt. brings up social issues to get people's minds off of the real issue which is economic issues.

NYevo NY
08/10/12 5:13 am

They're both important. I'll prove it. If a law was passed saying white folks couldn't get married, social issues would suddenly be the most important thing. So i repeat. Both are of great concern

HolyBabble Mississippi
08/10/12 5:07 am

I'm republican and I don't kare about queers geting marryed or mynoratees being disscriminated aganst I worried about monney and those peeple can go to hell

DavesNotHere where am I
08/10/12 5:06 am

Social issues should be put on the back burner, they affect a very small percentage of Americans, and they tend to bring out anti freedom antics. The economy and terrorism and health care affect everyone.

blockfisher Clinton, CT
08/10/12 4:50 am

The role of govt should be to ensure social equality. The free market should sort out economic issues on its own. Politicians have no place in fixing the economy.

FATSHADOW Cyborg Gorilla
08/10/12 4:43 am

Ppl that choose social are following a simple mindset...they more about a few than most. More about the 1% losing money than the 99% earning more. More about a minority/special interest group, most of who I support, over the majority population. When the economy suffers we all suffer regardless.

08/10/12 4:37 am

Democrats why are social issues more important when...we are almost $16T in debt. 8.3% unemployment, over 100M people are on welfare, ect.

Mitt can fix this! Mitt Romney 2012!

Daveo5 Texas
08/10/12 4:29 am

I care about certain social issues, but abortion and gay marriage don't factor in. They are really just non-issues to me. I do care about making money and how much I'm giving to the government.