Show Of Hands August 10th, 2012 12:00am

Which are more important to you: social issues (gay marriage, abortion, etc.) or economic issues (jobs, taxes, etc.)?

9999
08/10/12 4:37 pm

Abortion is an economic issue, too. Unwanted babies equal tons of tax cuts for parents, and greater likelihood of a person using the social safety net, combined with increased crime and poverty.

08/12/12 11:15 am

Great question. Romney/Ryan will win on this topic. He's promising 12 million jobs and Obama celebrates when he creates 150k per month. So who is the job creator?

nick23
08/13/12 6:36 pm

The economy is more important but Repubs only want to win so they can squash gay rights and abortion. As for money, it's all about what goes in THEIR pockets, not ours

blockfisher Clinton, CT
08/10/12 4:50 am

The role of govt should be to ensure social equality. The free market should sort out economic issues on its own. Politicians have no place in fixing the economy.

Threeper301 Gilbert, AZ
08/10/12 1:06 pm

@ Mags99: EXCUSE ME?!?! You need to re-read your history; the UN-INDOCTRINATED version. Since the end of the Civil War, it has always been the Republicans leading the charge for equal rights for blacks and minorities! A little history lesson.....

DavesNotHere where am I
08/10/12 5:06 am

Social issues should be put on the back burner, they affect a very small percentage of Americans, and they tend to bring out anti freedom antics. The economy and terrorism and health care affect everyone.

HolyBabble Mississippi
08/10/12 5:07 am

I'm republican and I don't kare about queers geting marryed or mynoratees being disscriminated aganst I worried about monney and those peeple can go to hell

08/10/12 1:06 pm

Social issues won't pay your rent!

gjb2779
08/10/12 4:42 pm

I care a great deal about both but the focus right now MUST be on getting people back to work & controlling that deficit

arborfamilia on top of the hill
08/10/12 1:07 pm

Gryffindor, that's fine to stay on the sidelines unless you happen to be someone who wants to get married or have an abortion. Then you're stuck in the middle while other people argue about whether your personal choices are moral.

08/10/12 8:22 am

I agree with Gunfighter

Threeper301 Gilbert, AZ
08/10/12 1:09 pm

.......Pres. Lincoln was the first Republican president, and he gave all black slaves their emancipation. When the Union was restored, the South, logically and overwhelmingly Democrat, wanted revenge, so they killed Lincoln.

Aliggan China and Florida
08/10/12 8:23 am

I feel that people should be allowed and have protected their basic rights before we can provide them ~ I'd rather live under a minimal government state than a totalitarian communist state. Although communism is preferable!

arborfamilia on top of the hill
08/10/12 1:10 pm

I think it's pretty hilarious/sad that social issues don't matter much to Republicans, and yet, Republican leaders are the ones leading the charge on social issues from women's rights (repealing the ability to sue for equal pay) to transgender rights (voting against ENDA).

08/10/12 8:25 am

I hope someday soon gays have the same rights as everyone but, our economy is miserable, our government is bought by the wealthy and we give tons of people free rides who are unwilling to work. We need to focus on economy and recovery before china owns America.

NYevo NY
08/10/12 5:13 am

They're both important. I'll prove it. If a law was passed saying white folks couldn't get married, social issues would suddenly be the most important thing. So i repeat. Both are of great concern

Threeper301 Gilbert, AZ
08/10/12 1:11 pm

When blacks were given the right to vote shortly afterwards, it was obvious they were going to vote Republican, because Lincoln was Republican, and he freed them. Because the Democrats knew that would mean their political demise.....

chi
08/10/12 5:13 am

I agree. I can't believe this result for democrats. when it comes down to it.. social issues are selfish and entitlement issues. economic issues affect everyone and should be at the list. govt. brings up social issues to get people's minds off of the real issue which is economic issues.

arborfamilia on top of the hill
08/10/12 1:13 pm

So, either Republicans don't know what their leadership is doing, Republican leaders don't know what their voters care about, or Republicans don't know themselves very well..

Christian1
08/11/12 6:30 am

When people begin to compromise morally, it will negatively affect all the other issues.

ishady 86451132020
08/15/12 12:28 pm

I disagree with the mayors stopping Dan Cathy,s idiot chicken franchise from coming to their towns. I don't hate the ass I pity him.

BeachSt Coastal Virginia
08/10/12 8:33 pm

Who's exciting about the airing of "The New Normal" airing in Sept? The new normal family...the gay one?

TitaniumOreo Upstate New York
08/10/12 8:30 am

I said social because I don't understand economics

kateXcore Dark side of the moon
08/10/12 10:36 am

Right now in our country, economic. We should all put our social differences aside and try to work together on this one. The economy is not getting any better, and unemployment is rising. Personally, some social issues bother me more than economic issues.

emsies Seattle
08/11/12 12:28 am

I'm surprised by these results. I have very strong beliefs about social issues but I don't know much about the economic issues.
Gay marriage is my big thing. I will go to my grave protecting gay rights.

BeachSt Coastal Virginia
08/10/12 1:14 pm

@d3vil: Ok, let's clarify between liberal and conservative. 150 years ago, things were a little different. We all know Democratic party was conservative. Let not go by labels, but rather by ideologies. The Republican/democrat parties are completely different now.

Threeper301 Gilbert, AZ
08/10/12 1:15 pm

.....southern Democrats formed the KKK to intimidate, terrorize, and kill blacks to suppress them through fear and keep them away from the polls. (Ironic; remember the poll intimidation tactics the Dens used in the '08 election?)

jstan New Jersey
08/11/12 3:56 pm

Social reform is for liberals with no understanding whatsoever of capital. If you possess no intelligence you might as well do the only thing you've ever been good at...crying about it. Your sexual orientation has no bearing on the dwindling federal reserves. Keep your whining to yourself.

mrhelpurbiz Indiana
08/14/12 7:07 am

Social issues won't matter when were selling off military equipment in 30 years to pay for our debts. Get a clue, the 29%

08/10/12 4:56 pm

Fixing social issues fixes economic issues. Damn rich stealing everything.

CP
08/11/12 1:02 am

I wish there was one super candidate that can have the economic views of a conservative and the social views of a liberal. But unfortunately that won't be happening for a long time.

Threeper301 Gilbert, AZ
08/10/12 1:18 pm

Fast forward to the '50's. President Eisenhower, a Republican, hears about an incident in Little Rock, Arkansas where the Democrat Gov. George Wallace is attempting to keep 9 black students from attending a "white school" by use of the Arkansas National Guard.......

glorfindel
08/10/12 5:25 am

Economy except for abortion, that is equally important to me. Also ending the wars and protecting our liberties.

redebbm 91709
08/11/12 1:05 am

Well as a gay man. Gay marriage does become an economic issue. It makes a huge difference for my future family and how our taxes and finances will work.

ishady 86451132020
08/12/12 11:41 am

Lol jstan. Touché but I use the bible to wipe my ass.

Planoneck Guam
08/10/12 8:36 am

@oreoLover: People like you are why I voted economic.

JustinR
08/10/12 8:36 am

Gay marriage and abortion should not even be an issue. Just say no!

NotQuiteWhite Earth
08/10/12 10:44 am

How can a country fix it's economy when half the citizens are virtually at war with each other? No ones gonna put their differences aside concerning gay marriage, abortion, drug use and personal choice issues. How can a bunch of people hating each other solve anything?

NYevo NY
08/10/12 5:32 am

The economy needs more focus right now. That doesnt make it more important

kateXcore Dark side of the moon
08/10/12 10:44 am

@demsrfascists
Groups you can still make fun of/hate on are: Christians, Jews, Blondes, Conservatives, & Caucasians. Hate on anyone else it's a hate crime, and you have to apologize. One of these, they're just supposed to shut up and take it. Hate speech/crime is pretty unfair, eh?

imawench
08/10/12 8:37 am

@ 32no, well said, I agree! I am more passionate about social issues, and they are easier to understand than economic ones.

Threeper301 Gilbert, AZ
08/10/12 1:21 pm

President Eisenhower sends an escort of the US Army with the kids and breaks the lines of the Arkansas National Guard. Then in the '60s and '70s, Democrats noticed that the minority vote was sweeping the polls, so they just conveniently changed the political history and America, sadly, bought it.

Think Lovin Life
08/15/12 8:54 am

Nick ... You need to get out more and stop reading the leftist nonsense. The truly intolerant are the leftists who can't stand when anyone dosages with their so-called tolerance.

The Chick-fil-A response was great. Average people took a stand against the hate and intolerance of the left.

anarchy GET OFF MY LAWN
08/10/12 10:45 am

This country's most pressing problems are economic ones. The social issues are just political fodder...

catslax
08/10/12 8:42 pm

Wittlebaby, take some grammar and spelling classes.