Show Of Hands December 28th, 2012 12:00am

Should beggars be required to carry a permit and pay taxes?

dustbunny
12/28/12 9:40 am

They should pay taxes like the rest of us. I remember an article about an experiment someone did, they went and worked 1 day at Walmart and another day they stood outside Walmart begging for $. They made more money begging than working so don't tell me they don't have enough $.

drcynic Pittsburgh, PA
12/28/12 9:36 am

I was homeless for a time. I didn't do any drugs. All I was concerned about was finding a place to stay warm and a meal to eat. In the period I had no home, I lost 70lbs and nearly froze to death if not for extreme luck. When I was desperate, I made a sign from cardboard. I didn't ask for money.

user321 Indiana
12/28/12 9:31 am

how are you going to enforce that?

GoldenRay On SSBB
12/28/12 9:31 am

I don't care about a permit, but everyone should be taxed equally.

Loadmaster Sacto
12/28/12 9:30 am

I'm not the biggest fan of beggars but this would just be asinine.

Diogenes FreeMeBe
12/28/12 9:26 am

Amen, mmjman!

Diogenes FreeMeBe
12/28/12 9:25 am

Good luck collecting. It would be as useless as the "War on Drugs" and serve only to fill our prisons.

tommysq Chicagoland
12/28/12 9:24 am

I see a guy in Chicago every day that has nicer glasses and coat than I do.

gatorb8 Chicago
12/28/12 9:19 am

Be nice if we could follow Jacksonville's lead and outlaw it.

robolds Initiative
12/28/12 9:18 am

My sister was an investigative reporter in Baton Rouge when she did a story on people begging in BR. Out of 10, only 1 was truly homeless or in dire need. The rest had homes or apts and most had a "handler" that managed them and too a % of their take. They brought in hundreds a week! I say tax em.

TopsQueen Oregon Coast
12/28/12 9:15 am

employed a white cane. I saw her shopping in the store she see perfectly fine. Should be outside the store baking. I saw her husband drive maybe 10 feet from the parking lot and a brand-new car picked up the boxed food people gave her and then drive back in the parking lot waiting for the next

JanuaryLove
12/28/12 9:15 am

Not I. I am for small government and low taxes across the board, beggar or not.

TopsQueen Oregon Coast
12/28/12 9:13 am

A couple of years ago, we had a group by our local Walmart. They all shared one leg brace like the people wouldn't notice. And many of them would stand with her weight on the leg that was being braced that no one said they were too bright. Also we had a lady with Lazy eye. When needed she would

mmjman Emerald Valley
12/28/12 9:11 am

And btw if we moved to a more progressive sales tax system this wouldn't be an issue because everyone including beggars and drug dealers would Have to pay taxes.

alyssa
12/28/12 9:11 am

Not to mention, more government agencies and regulation is exactly what we DON'T need!

TopsQueen Oregon Coast
12/28/12 9:10 am

It would be much too hard to track them and my daughter has known a few and they're not very honorable or honest people I'm not saying they're all that way but that's the way some of them are it be just about impossible to keep track of the revenue

mmjman Emerald Valley
12/28/12 9:10 am

It seems it would probably cost more to enforce than you'd get from the taxes.

davidwhite1 Building it Bigger
12/28/12 9:10 am

Bring out the flat tax. Then the beggars, druggies, strippers everyone would pay taxes.
As everyone consumes something everyone pays something.
It will also promote, savings as you don't pay tax on savings, then people will not spend above their means and we won't have to bail them out (as much)

alyssa
12/28/12 9:09 am

No, but I don't think anyone should be required to pay taxes. All transactions should take place voluntarily between consenting parties; taxes are compulsory. The income tax should be abolished, period.

JennaF sunflower state of mind
12/28/12 9:08 am

*First Kansan to comment*
????????????????????????now here's some ice cream

lmurder MDK
12/28/12 9:05 am

150 a day begging. Please tax their drug habits.

argyrosfenix Wisconsin
12/28/12 9:04 am

And what would be done about the beggars that don't follow that law? Those with nothing have nothing to lose. Put them in jail at taxpayer expense is like a 5 star vacation with three square meals a day... Just saying.

thebarr
12/28/12 9:04 am

Wow! Do you mean to tell me that there is someone that Democrats don't want to tax?

mmjman Emerald Valley
12/28/12 9:04 am

Who wants bet many of the same people who claim they are for small government and low taxes will vote yes on this question simply because it involves beggars.

hayes9135 Hog Country
12/28/12 9:02 am

It sounds ok, but would be next to impossible to enforce.