Show Of Hands December 28th, 2012 12:00am

Should beggars be required to carry a permit and pay taxes?

pinkyusuck The Carribean. I wish.
12/29/12 6:50 am

There's not a need to beg in most cases. Sometimes it's a truly, spur-of-the-moment need though.

pinkyusuck The Carribean. I wish.
12/29/12 6:48 am

I think it's only because conservatives support everyone having a financial stake in the country's future. Those who pay no taxes do not care if taxes are raised. Those who do pay taxes don't want them raised.

pinkyusuck The Carribean. I wish.
12/29/12 6:45 am

I think that they probably support it more for the licensing part of the question. There are scammers out there posing as beggars. However, I prefer to give cheerfully and let God figure out who's genuine, and who's not.

pinkyusuck The Carribean. I wish.
12/29/12 6:43 am

Or I address their need specifically. If they're telling me that they need food, I'll take them to the nearest restaurant, and offer to buy them whatever they want. Most take me up on it. A few seem genuinely hungry.

pinkyusuck The Carribean. I wish.
12/29/12 6:41 am

I say no, but only because they're accepting donations. No one is being forced to make a donation either. Sure, some of them are lying through their teeth. But some of them genuinely need the help. I give to most, and tell them that God knows whether they're telling the truth.

CTYankee!!! Connecticut
12/29/12 6:06 am

Funny how Republicans believe beggars should pay taxes but not millionaires or corporations.

munkey? SilentMunkey
12/29/12 5:51 am

The pros yes. Some of those guys pull $500 or more a night.

The others... Not so much. They need money to eat and live...

pashn4rshn Virginia
12/29/12 4:43 am

Maybe. But then what? I agree with MRM27.

Vincere Seattle
12/29/12 3:14 am

It'd probably cost more to enforce such a law than it would raise in taxes.

redwaller
12/29/12 12:06 am

The majority of you say no, and that is part why this country is so messed up. Did you know some of the richest people are baggers. They beg and beg and get a lot of money from it, and they don't pay taxes!!

X12YrOldPWNSX
12/28/12 11:42 pm

So Your not a rep but you believe in that 47% BS???

X12YrOldPWNSX
12/28/12 11:37 pm

So you think the govrmt should take 30% of the little money they have? And have them starve to death ? I lived in DC til I was 9 I always fell sad every time I see a homeless person

jonny323
12/28/12 11:25 pm

Yes, and you should need a permit to receive gifts. There should also be a $25 tax for every penny you take from the give a penny take a penny tray.

12/28/12 11:21 pm

46% of respondents from the 'party of limited government' wants more government involved in the homeless 'profession'. odd.

fredd TrumpLand
12/28/12 10:33 pm

What a silly idea. What are they going to take in payment, their blankets?

veritmot
12/28/12 10:25 pm

It's the only way we'll ever get any revenue from Wall Street.

praetorianus65
12/28/12 9:27 pm

And I see droves of poor looking people in front of the liquor stores sometimes. Ever noticed that's where so many hang out?
Any guess why ;)

praetorianus65
12/28/12 9:25 pm

I wonder if you really have to beg in USA to survive. Overnight shelters, soup kitchens, salvation army, emergency room, food stamps - shouldn't that cover all bases? I've even heard about free bus passes and even cell phones for those marginally working.

babyDruth Kansas
12/28/12 9:18 pm

no...unless we're talking about younger siblings...then tax the crap out of them for constantly begging me for my stuff! ;-)

praetorianus65
12/28/12 8:50 pm

Be aware you might be conned. I know one beggar who tells everybody he's broke even when I know he already has gotten $100 on a "slow" day but keeps on lying to people he has "not a dime".

mjohn620
12/28/12 8:12 pm

Except less than half answered yes. So you're not only wrong in your generalizations, but bad at math? Yikes...

smartfart Florida
12/28/12 8:09 pm

Wow, Repubs. You really don't stand against big government & their silly regulations. This shows you're for regulating poor people.

EarlyBird Portland
12/28/12 7:56 pm

Don't ever sell your soul. You have a good one. :-)

palmer24
12/28/12 7:55 pm

I've worked 3 jobs with people who have been recently homeless. Many homeless people just don't try because they get more money sitting on their butts on the corner

EarlyBird Portland
12/28/12 7:53 pm

Would you like to have their job? Are there any children you know that says when they grow up, they want to be a beggar? Most of these people have mental illness or are simply down on their luck. The people who say yes to this, are looking for a way to punish beggars. That's all it is.

bigbadbear
12/28/12 7:52 pm

what the fuck kind of question is this!

JackTorS Clap you stupid bastards
12/28/12 7:11 pm

I must admit, more often than not I give money to beggars. I just feel bad. Seeing them makes me appreciate what I have and reminds me that I have an opportunity to help someone.

Having said that, I believe having a permit or taxation for these people would be difficult to enforce if implemented.

mjohn620
12/28/12 7:02 pm

Except they have different collection processes, and one is allowing you to first collect, while the other is requiring you to pay on what you've already collected. So they're different.... Not that complicated.

aria25
12/28/12 6:57 pm

I don't like giving beggars money since I have no idea how they'll spend it. They may have a dirty habit and I don't want to support it. I only give beggars food and/or clothing.

prterri
12/28/12 6:55 pm

No, permits are just another form of tax. Both serve to fund the govt from individual income, they just have different names and collection processes.

dabomb
12/28/12 6:53 pm

If they were forced to pay taxes then I'm moving to Canada!!

smarttexan2 Extremism Harms
12/28/12 6:31 pm

2 days before Christmas. I also gave to a local shelter on the 26th. I'm fortunate and hope someone would help me if things were reversed.

smarttexan2 Extremism Harms
12/28/12 6:25 pm

Wow - that's factual. Glad you're using that info to make a decision. It's probably something we can generalize.

born2teach
12/28/12 5:39 pm

And you are talking about the exception! Can't do that....vey few beggars will ever make that much!

SGTHOOAH
12/28/12 5:29 pm

But tips are taxed? That is a gift?
The solution is you don't give the bums the time of day and they leave

TopsQueen Oregon Coast
12/28/12 5:15 pm

A friend gives out lunch vouchers. Sometimes she is cursed out others thanked. This place, Crossroads, is staffed by volunteers and lots of donations and lunch is $1.50 there are two or three choices. Everyone is welcome.

praetorianus65
12/28/12 5:13 pm

Because it's a gift, not work. I don't want to be taxed for the money Mom sent for Xmas either. If money just changes hands I wouldn't tax - just like I wouldn't tax an inheritance.

mjohn620
12/28/12 5:09 pm

I wish this question were broken down to be more specific. Including both having a permit and paying taxes in a yes or no question is hard to answer. They're two very different things.

DiBs
12/28/12 5:00 pm

This is a yes or no question. Unfortunately, a few have ruined it for the rest. How is it possible for someone to beg & make more money annually then low income families, single parents, seniors, & college kids? Then to top it off, not pay any tax? What happened to paying your fair share?

SGTHOOAH
12/28/12 4:57 pm

And the employee buys from the employer and the whole process starts again, why should one worker get taxed and another (panhandler) not?

kateXcore Dark side of the moon
12/28/12 4:55 pm

I read somewhere that one beggar made like $25,000 or something a year!! Yes.

EarlyBird Portland
12/28/12 4:53 pm

That's bad. When that happens, the police should get involved.

cmblank2 Raleigh
12/28/12 4:50 pm

They work the streets to get their income and don't pay taxes while I work and have to pay taxes. That is not "equal" you liberals.

EarlyBird Portland
12/28/12 4:49 pm

Doesn't Walmart have the authority to get the beggars off their property?

beanD California
12/28/12 4:44 pm

Yeah, the people who do absolutely no work! Makes sense right?

cpaswr just say the letters
12/28/12 4:43 pm

I thought wages to employees are deducted from sales (along with other expenses) to determine profit. I could be wrong.