Show Of Hands December 28th, 2012 12:00am

Should beggars be required to carry a permit and pay taxes?

synthetik Bay Area, CA
12/31/12 9:04 pm

There is no way to track their income and they obviously aren't going to report it. It would be a waste of government resources to even try.

RayX quit
12/31/12 3:38 pm

There's no point in trying to collect taxes from them. It would cost more to administer than the revenue it would generate.

RayX quit
12/31/12 2:14 pm

Do you decide who's income counts?

If Joe make $1,500 in begging plus $1,500 in social security disability plus $300 in food stamps should he pay more taxes then the guy living on $400 in begging alone?

tdaddy diversity
12/31/12 9:30 am

Of course not! I'd be less likely to give them anything if I knew Uncle Sam would get a portion of my charity. Heck, if Uncle Sam is going to be that greedy he can be the one that has to take care of beggars. Count me out.

Snobaby324 New Jersey
12/31/12 2:12 am

Forget about the beggers go after the illegal immigrant. US money is a large amount of the Mexican economy.Get on line at the post office when they are wiring the money back to Mexico. Ridiculous some of those "beggers" have gotten to be that way because their salaries are being undercut by the ille

deathvalley Chicago native
12/31/12 12:02 am

You'd be surprised to find out how giving people are when you look like a clean cut person who's still asking for money

baldnold1 Michigan
12/30/12 9:43 pm

I've read some interesting statements- "no taxes". We are in this predicament because in the first time in our country's history, we went to war WITHOUT raising taxes. If you believe the statement, please be consistent. Wouldn't a permit be a new source of revenue & thus, a tax? Just saying.

patrioticteen
12/30/12 11:21 am

Obama voters want me to pay more taxes, and the economy is still shit. Take our work ethic not wealth.

ScrewU Gone
12/30/12 9:21 am

I stopped giving $$ to beggars after watching a wretched-looking woman standing with her little girl outside my office window window every day for a year begging... Then walk around the corner and drive away in a shiny Lincoln town car. What a scam.

ScrewU Gone
12/30/12 9:15 am

Until 1943 about 98% of Americans paid no taxes, and the economy did just fine.

Taxes are a DRAG on productivity.

nFavOfSecess Texas
12/30/12 8:01 am

Some of these panhandlers make more money than the average American worker.
There was an investigation done a few years ago showing that some of them live in bigger and better houses, drive nicer and newer cars.

I say, if they've got two working arms and legs, they can find legit work.
Get a JOB!

tjm120 TARDIS
12/30/12 7:48 am

No, they did a report on our local tv station about it and they found it to be about 40-50k they followed some of the people to their house and they live in some pretty nice places. I'm sure some of them need it but some of them are cons.

trey98
12/30/12 1:53 am

Then the economy would fail

trey98
12/30/12 1:52 am

Oh because they have the money to buy the permit
It you don't understand the sarcasm then your an idiot

imBobertRobert
12/29/12 10:44 pm

Because a beggar should definitely pay taxes for what little they already recieve...

OrionQuest North Carolina
12/29/12 9:02 pm

Most are able-bodied people too lazy to get a job or need professional help. Yes!

DeathSheep Michigan
12/29/12 6:58 pm

I think if you require a permit and to pay taxes, it's no longer begging, just another job

DakotaJames seattle
12/29/12 6:56 pm

Sounds like wasting money on training instead of a permit program. How we have it now is fine. Some people are dealt a shit life and have to manage the best they can.

DunkinFrunk Austin area, Texas
12/29/12 3:52 pm

It does not really matter if you believe it or not.

flyberg Northern Kentucky
12/29/12 3:51 pm

If they're not homeless and would be considered capable of traditional employment of some kind. Otherwise no.

jamjay Atlanta, Ga
12/29/12 3:42 pm

That is Stupid. Really, Really Stupid.

stlouisryan
12/29/12 2:28 pm

How about no one pays taxes.

soulfighter
12/29/12 1:05 pm

I highly doubt that. I am curious to see who paid for that study.

Melon No Ducklips
12/29/12 12:28 pm

I'm begging all of you to send me some money.

MasterMatt Oregon
12/29/12 10:38 am

I don't know of an R that thinks the rich shouldn't pay taxes? They already pay more than you'll ever make.

susanr Colorado
12/29/12 9:21 am

So what you really want to tax them for, notRoss, is being offensive. Not for the money they receive as a gift.

NYevo NY
12/29/12 8:31 am

You shouldn't tax charity recipients. Thats just cruel

innate1 Georgia
12/29/12 7:39 am

Instead of wasting money on a permit program and more inmates, why not build more homeless shelters and offer skill training seminars and drug addiction rehab programs. Help the hurting, don't hurt them more.

12/29/12 7:14 am

Most of those who say yes probably either want to weed out the liars, or they support everyone having 'some skin in the game.' Those who pay no taxes do not care if taxes are raised.

12/29/12 7:13 am

He should trade his Jag for a Toyota. Then he wouldn't have to beg.

12/29/12 7:12 am

12/29/12 7:09 am

12/29/12 7:08 am

Approaching someone at an ATM is brilliant because you know that they have cash. It's also a good way to get shot.

12/29/12 7:07 am

I believe it. Hell, I'm not even sure that I pay more in taxes than what I get back at the end of the year. I imagine it's really close on the income. I might pay some from sales tax, but that's probably about it.

12/29/12 7:05 am

DunkinFrunk Austin area, Texas
12/29/12 7:05 am

When I lived in Arizona, I remember a study that estimated that the average income for a person willing to stand on the street corner begging for money was roughly 50K a year. That study was done 10-12 years ago. Yeah I thing they should be forced to pay taxes on their income.

12/29/12 7:04 am

12/29/12 7:03 am

I'm with husker. If you address the 'need', you see really quickly who's genuine and who's not.

12/29/12 7:01 am

They do, and will if you tell them about it.

12/29/12 6:59 am

12/29/12 6:57 am

Unless the permit were issued for free to those demonstrating genuine need. Then the considerations would be even more different.

12/29/12 6:54 am

Give cheerfully, and let God sort out who's lying. He stills gives you credit for giving charitably, I think.

12/29/12 6:53 am

I think most support the idea of everyone having 'some skin in the game', rather than explicitly desiring more government involvement. Those who pay no taxes do not care if taxes are raised.