Show Of Hands December 25th, 2012 12:00am

Should it be illegal to make a gun with a 3-D printer? (3-D printers are devices that can "print" physical shapes/objects from digital plans. Functioning guns will be technically possible before long).

listgarten SF Bay Area
12/25/12 4:58 pm

3-d printers are amazing tools for design and prototyping.

listgarten SF Bay Area
12/25/12 4:56 pm

Metal to set off a metal detector

listgarten SF Bay Area
12/25/12 4:55 pm

It is currently impossible to print a full gun without metal. An all plastic gun would be a problem bc it could slip through a medal detector, (though I don't know how you could print a functioning bullet out of plastic). I think that all-plastic guns should be illegal. There needs to be enough

Rosebud Ohio
12/25/12 4:34 pm

Wow, I hadn't thought of that. It is technically the press... But also bearing arms... Regardless it's protected as a freedom.

Rosebud Ohio
12/25/12 4:33 pm

It could end badly, but I err on the side of more freedom. Nothing illegal to own (aka full auto or by/to someone mentally incapable of responsible ownership), but if you are allowed to own it and it isn't stolen yes. It could reduce the manufacturing costs.

praetorianus65
12/25/12 4:19 pm

My compromise would be that this functionality is locked and can be unlocked for owners with a gun license. I call these machines replicators btw.

tdyakker lost
12/25/12 4:16 pm

I was referring to regular joes going out and buying such a printer. I'm sure there are places like you describe but from what I've seen the average person will not own one for a while due to cost. I wouldn't spend the money needed for one. But I like to get my hands dirty n make things for myself.

spindrift take the red pill
12/25/12 4:13 pm

Shovel head, that post doesn't even make sense.

huxley84 head space
12/25/12 3:56 pm

It's already possible.

patrioticteen
12/25/12 3:52 pm

I don't even think that will be possible in our lifetime for a criminal to buy an expensive machine, make a gun out of a metal mold, that functions, resists the blast, and won't kill the user. You might as well make one from scrap metal.

jacmcmaho
12/25/12 3:49 pm

We are getting a 3d printer in the technology department at my school and we were shown there capabilities it is just weak plastic not the right material to make a gun

spindrift take the red pill
12/25/12 3:40 pm

No, if its only for you. But you can't sell it.

peacefullife Land of Moss
12/25/12 3:22 pm

Criminals aren't hindered by laws, so the only people such a law would impact are the ones who would be responsible weapon owners in the first place.

SGTHOOAH
12/25/12 3:21 pm

Untill the 70's the Catholics were taught not to read the bible! Why would be ban something that has great potential because of the few idiots who might ban it?

jmw7477 Indiana
12/25/12 3:20 pm

I think it should be highly regulated.

SGTHOOAH
12/25/12 3:18 pm

Is it illegal for me to machine a gun?

bb1884
12/25/12 3:17 pm

As far as I understand it would be more expensive right now to make a gun from a 3d printer right now so it doesn't make much sense but its cool technology!

bb1884
12/25/12 3:14 pm

It's already illegal unless you have a fire arms manufacturing license... That is good enough for me.

shovelhead someplace with coffee
12/25/12 2:57 pm

It only "prints" the lower assembly which is part on an AR-15 which has to have a serial number. With that being said I'm ordering my lower tomorrow from Cabalas for $79.

shovelhead someplace with coffee
12/25/12 2:54 pm

So that being said you think heroine and meth should be legal because you fought for those rights?

Amjy88
12/25/12 2:50 pm

It should be a military weapon only

satiricalnick meh
12/25/12 2:44 pm

>what would you like sir?

Yeah ill have the printed bacon, on a printed sesame seed bun.

>ok, that will be 5 printed dollars.

acctdele
12/25/12 2:43 pm

Is there anything you people think the federal government SHOULDN'T ban or have a mandate or regulation on? You should all read up on how to catch wild pigs and see if after reading it you think we should ban everything in sight.

satiricalnick meh
12/25/12 2:42 pm

We'll be able to print food before long.

johnjb A beautiful place
12/25/12 2:34 pm

The printer lays down layers of material to form all the pieces. Imagine printer cuts out hundreds of paper thin wafers and "glues them" together.

3acn
12/25/12 2:31 pm

This takes much more knowledge and skill than just hitting print as well. And it takes hours to print just one.

Zulsoras New Hampshire
12/25/12 2:30 pm

I don't think 3-d printers should be legal period.

3acn
12/25/12 2:28 pm

When I first heard about this it put a huge smile on my face. One more hurdle for the gov to take away one of my rights for which thousands of Americans have fought and died. It just makes me sick that some of you would even consider handing them over.

3acn
12/25/12 2:24 pm

Actually the reprap can be built for as little as $450. There is another one that was less but I can't remember the name.

BeachSt Coastal Virginia
12/25/12 2:15 pm

what? How is allowing this taking steps in the right direction? Majority of Americans wants SOME type of control, but for this to be this close...

supereliguy Andromeda
12/25/12 2:11 pm

Ha! Like they could stop anyone. As of now 3d printers are plastic only and several thousand dollars for small sized ones. You'd be better off just buying the gun!

bigdog3210 Around
12/25/12 1:50 pm

Let me get this straight, you think no one should own a gun?

isusd5
12/25/12 1:36 pm

I've seen a 3D printer in action. It is pretty amazing. The one I saw was plastic but that technology could produce metal printers. I don't think just anyone should be able to print one just like just anyone should be own one.

AndrewJ1025
12/25/12 1:33 pm

I don't understand how it would work, how could you print metal.

TheMadScientist the mad laboratory
12/25/12 1:25 pm

There is a place about 12 miles from me where you can print anything on their 3D printer. It costs only a small amount for the time it takes to print. 5-10 bucks for something fist sized, plus materials.

ayakra Wyoming
12/25/12 1:23 pm

I'm all for having, carrying, and shooting; but I feel that this is a bad idea. It would completely remove any need for manufacturing and company processes and would make firearms to accessible even for me. Plus printing your own glock or sig could be counted as plagiarism or something similar.

MarciS Formerly mjs83
12/25/12 1:21 pm

I had to answer the question to see the discussion to figure out what in the heck this was. Lol. Changed my answer when I figured it out too.

catslax
12/25/12 1:16 pm

Can't print springs, barrel, good luck getting a chamber than can withstand high pressures generated from firing. You'd break it by shooting it.

eodshawn Alabama
12/25/12 1:15 pm

I carry a pistol full time. I love my rights to own guns. but this is pushing it way too far. there is no way to regulate it and its a very cool tech gadget that will go away if people start making guns with it.

Loadmaster Sacto
12/25/12 1:10 pm

I know people machine in their garages, and this isn't too much different, but machining at least takes more skill than buying some software and hitting "PRINT"

wetheslaves Live each moment fully
12/25/12 1:09 pm

A skilled person can manufacture a weapon on their own today. How do we police someone who makes their own weapons today? As a kid we made bombs, dart guns and other interesting weapons. It is not that hard if we could do it as kids... This is not that different.

Loadmaster Sacto
12/25/12 1:07 pm

I love owning, shooting, buying, and talking about guns. But I cannot stand the idea of some guys getting together, buying a hundred-thousand dollar printer and creating an arsenal. Legal for manufacturers only. Require serial numbers just as we do now.

tdyakker lost
12/25/12 1:00 pm

The technology is so expensive only large companies or the very wealthy could afford the machines!

SouthernG Man Cave
12/25/12 12:51 pm

Printing/copying money is illegal, but does not stop the ill intentioned folks from doing it.....

Doopy Remedial Americanism
12/25/12 12:48 pm

They don't regulate the system in place now. You can just up and make your own gun. It's legal. I think we should be regulating less.

obamaboy
12/25/12 12:48 pm

What makes you think it should be illegal

Doopy Remedial Americanism
12/25/12 12:47 pm

Wait, why should we have unenforceable laws?

Zod Above Pugetropolis
12/25/12 12:44 pm

It's just an easy way to convert a plan into an object. The technology is not yet fully developed, but how is it much different than now, using CAD/CAM, or simple machining, which actually can create everything from barrel to screws, today? You can do your own gunsmithing at home; many hobbyists do.