Show Of Hands December 25th, 2012 12:00am

Should it be illegal to make a gun with a 3-D printer? (3-D printers are devices that can "print" physical shapes/objects from digital plans. Functioning guns will be technically possible before long).

Misterme7 Under the Rainbow
01/01/13 12:46 pm

No, crimes could be much harder to track. When you buy it they can track it to you. The printer may leave a specific mark but smarter criminals could avoid that.

JamesMadison La Palma
12/30/12 8:46 pm

Are you retarded, you could print out a REAL functioning gun. It is entirely different from drawing a gun that can do nothing

emosauce
12/30/12 10:34 am

Lies. Anyone with $85k to spare wouldn't be on this app debating with Internet retards.

emosauce
12/30/12 10:32 am

I'm agree that I don't believe the technology in 3-D printers is there YET. The hypothetical nature of the poll implies "should it be legal to creatively bypass gun laws in a DIY fashion?"

tbhcmh North Carolina
12/29/12 6:03 pm

Seems like it should only be legal with a permit and a reason. Commercially sold, for example, would be a reason. Making guns willy nilly with no gun permit and no registration of the guns should absolutely be 100% illegal.

smallbiz44
12/28/12 4:00 pm

Only the plastic 3D printers can be made at home, to make metal parts you need a very sophisticated printer.
I paid $85,000 for mine and it was one of the cheaper ones.
Mine has an envelope of 16" x 16" x 14", just big enough to make upper and lower receivers for an AR 15.

smallbiz44
12/28/12 3:52 pm

@ds1234 Did you not read my post?
The 3D printer can make all of the working internals of a firearm, from a computer generated solid model.
You could make it in one shot but it would take an awful lot of work, I made mine by making individual parts then assembling them.
The gun works really well.

3acn
12/28/12 10:34 am

I'm these printers can be made in your garage, purchased online and starting soon be bought at Walmart. But the government has no right touching the Bill of Rights! There is NOTHING wrong with buying or building your own gun.

Hawkn Texas
12/28/12 8:22 am

Only manufactures would have access to these printers. It wouldn't be something you can buy at Walmart

wdjs
12/28/12 6:07 am

A 3d printer will never be able to create a functioning gun. It can't create the inner workings of a gun from a picture. Ridiculous. Guns will never be outlawed so get over it. Stop drumming up controversy where there isn't any.

Jmhf
12/27/12 11:19 pm

A cheaper one runs about $435

susanr Colorado
12/27/12 9:52 pm

MrProws, I need one of those chocolate printers. Real bad.

smallbiz44
12/27/12 7:42 pm

I do NOT make or sell gun parts to anyone.

smallbiz44
12/27/12 7:39 pm

..the gun I made is an AR 15, I have fired a couple hundred rounds through it with no problems and no sign of wear. If that is all I used the printer for it would be a very expensive gun, but I use it for medical implants that are difficult to machine. I also have a AR that I CNC machined, cheaper!

smallbiz44
12/27/12 7:34 pm

..my machine holds tolerance of +/- .001", I use powdered steel, titanium, 17-4 stainless etc. The parts are easily as strong as machined parts except for small, heavily loaded springs. The printer takes it's data from computer solid models (not blueprints), the finished part is as accurate as model

nadelg Springfield, VA
12/27/12 7:24 pm

I'm all for guns, but there's already so much accessibility, and there's no need to add more.

smallbiz44
12/27/12 7:05 pm

I have one in my shop that prints using a powdered metal / laser activated binder matrix.
It cost me $85k and, yes I have made a working gun on it with the exception of the barrel that I made from steel and screwed on, although I could have easily made one on the printer, I just went the safer way.

ElizabethB
12/27/12 6:04 pm

If printing a gun had to run through the government first. I dont want drug dealers to have an unlimited supply of guns.. or creeps to carry guns without a permit!

dolando Missouri
12/27/12 2:36 pm

its still legal to purchase firearms... for now

Asterix Florida
12/27/12 11:15 am

the one's that could make a gun are $150,000. you can get one for around $1000 but they can make only smaller and weaker things.

susanr Colorado
12/27/12 10:42 am

Not disagreeing with you on that, pinky. Just didn't think your analogy was logical since no one is suggesting banning the printer itself.

susanr Colorado
12/27/12 10:40 am

I've completely missed the point of your question, pinky, but the answer is no to all of those.

anonymous0 Nevada
12/27/12 9:29 am

Don't we have enough accidents in this world? Plus suicide and murder. There's not enough regulations w guns.

JaquesV Bentonville, AR
12/27/12 8:54 am

You can get plans and build one with a few hundred $ worth of parts. You can buy a kit for $800 or an assembled one for $1500-3000. You can buy a high end professional, multiple material machine for around $30k and up.

JaquesV Bentonville, AR
12/27/12 8:51 am

No there's a difference between cobbling a few scrap parts together to make a simple canon and going to Lowes to buy the parts needed to build a motorized Gatling gun. Guns have been around for a long time. It's not even "technology" any more.

JaquesV Bentonville, AR
12/27/12 8:48 am

Google something before making absurd claims. I had a 3d printer that I paid $800 for and got it a few weeks after ordering it. MakerBot cranks them out all day. RepRap has plans so you can build your own. People have used the plans to build printers for everything from chocolate to concrete.

geoag02 Dallas, TX
12/27/12 8:37 am

Since if you ban something no one will ever do it again.

geoag02 Dallas, TX
12/27/12 8:34 am

Why not just ban murder?

lrogs428
12/27/12 7:41 am

There is a big difference between making a simple, single shot weapon and being able to manufacture a modern weapon of war in your own home.

dpoirr11 Addis, LA
12/27/12 6:17 am

So true. I think people underestimate the amount of work it takes to produce any functioning mechanism even I you already have the printer.

pinkyusuck The Carribean. I wish.
12/27/12 6:10 am

And @mrbill, what the hell does that have to do with what I said?

pinkyusuck The Carribean. I wish.
12/27/12 6:09 am

@susanr, do you have brightly colored hair, a pug nose, and a jewel in your belly button?

pinkyusuck The Carribean. I wish.
12/27/12 6:08 am

The point is, it's a stupid idea to ban a form of manufacturing for a product. It's the most revolutionary development in modern manufacturing history, and some jackass wants to ban its use for a major sector of what's left of the American manufacturing base.

12/27/12 1:48 am

Let's make it illegal to cut branches off of a tree and sharpen them into spears, because someone may get stabbed. Absurd.

jacmcmaho
12/26/12 10:51 pm

Do you guys realize how much these things cost? Plus they aren't just giving these things to anybody my school had to fight hard to get on the list of buyers there aren't that many that you could waltz into Walmart and buy one so with the price and limited availability hardly worth it for a criminal

Mrbill
12/26/12 10:06 pm

Didn't the shooter get his gun from his mom?

susanr Colorado
12/26/12 9:22 pm

While you're busy damning people you don't agree with, that is. Me, I'm just observing, not damning.

susanr Colorado
12/26/12 9:20 pm

Oh, I'll bet that would happen pretty fast, with gun manufacturers wanting regulation of this! That would almost be funny. I'll bet Wayne LaPierre would blow (another) gasket.

susanr Colorado
12/26/12 9:14 pm

Why not? They seem to be very useful for a lot of things. Non-controversial things.

susanr Colorado
12/26/12 9:12 pm

Not really; it would be like outlawing one category of product from any of those, and none of them produce only one category, so you would still be able to use them for other products.

susanr Colorado
12/26/12 9:09 pm

And damn almost half of the men, four tenths of the Republicans, and over half the people of all ages responding here. Seems only fair.

pinkyusuck The Carribean. I wish.
12/26/12 8:07 pm

I'm all for 3-D firearms printing actually. It'll be to firearms what the Gutenberg press was to books.

pinkyusuck The Carribean. I wish.
12/26/12 8:04 pm

Of course not. That's like outlawing the assembly line, or the lathe, or the wielding torch.

jmofwiw
12/26/12 7:39 pm

Works as good as all these stupid new laws under discussion.

JaquesV Bentonville, AR
12/26/12 3:33 pm

Guns are not complicated machines.

JaquesV Bentonville, AR
12/26/12 3:32 pm

I worked in a warehouse when I was a kid. We had a "pecan gun" made out of lead pipe/fittings. We'd pack black powder & wadding into it, bottle rocket fuse thru the fitting & jam a pecan in the business end. It would chunk the pecan through a layer of heavy cardboard & into the coils of an AC unit.

JaquesV Bentonville, AR
12/26/12 3:15 pm

You shouldn't get ANY of your info from CSI. They can blow up a grainy security photo and "enhance" it to see the emblem on a guy's ring.

JaquesV Bentonville, AR
12/26/12 3:06 pm

So air cars and transporters are available? I think you misunderstand the tech involved. It's not magic.

JaquesV Bentonville, AR
12/26/12 3:03 pm

Plans exist (for free) for building your own 5+ axis CNC. It's not an out-of-reach tech.