Show Of Hands September 16th, 2012 12:00am

Would you donate your bone marrow to save the life of a stranger?

pudgster Hawaii
09/23/12 2:16 am

Wow. It's amazing how many people voted yes... I wonder how many of them ever attempted to find a match. Unless you give blood, the blood bank will most likely never contact you regarding bone marrow...

09/21/12 7:20 pm

It's always good to save a life. Sure it hurts bad but I would be up for it.

brianparks69 charlotte
09/20/12 9:49 pm

I imagine we would all hope someone would donate to us if we were in that position, so why not? My youngest brother did it and the patient lived. I am in the register, but have not been contacted yet

09/20/12 8:22 pm

Yes, doesn't mean I have to like it :|

pashn4rshn Virginia
09/19/12 5:21 am

I gave bone marrow in college. No altruism, just for the $300 I got (beer money). The needle hurt, the few days after hurt. But I'd do it again if someone asked, no money needed anymore.

hexin Wisconsin
09/18/12 11:03 pm

If they asked, sure. Otherwise I wouldn't take the initiative myself, so voted no.

tabbser
09/18/12 10:29 pm

Anonymously, no. Someone came and asked me, yes.

emmbeedee Arkansas
09/18/12 8:31 pm

I've been in the registry since 1992. I got called once, but someone else was a better match.

therivkid State of Confusion
09/18/12 5:19 pm

In a heartbeat. I can't feel pain so I have no reason not to!

cornybread The Large Malus Fruit
09/18/12 3:44 pm

@tanner904 that's disgusting. why would you try to make other people feel like crap? that's judgemental and kind of ignorant. it's great that so many people are willing to donate, but you don't know other people's reasons for not doing so.

tanner904
09/18/12 8:39 am

Why the hell not?? My best friend died when he was 12 and I was 13 of bone marrow cancer I'm 33 now and will always remember him we were friends since kindergarten it was very painful to give then not now. Consider ur self a POS if u wouldn't give!!

PaigeLynn Texas
09/18/12 7:14 am

My 2 sons were born with a genetic disorder and would have died without a bone marrow transplant. We've met my older son's donor and hope to meet my younger son's donor someday. I am eternally grateful to those amazing people and hope I get called to donate someday. It's such an amazing gift.

cornybread The Large Malus Fruit
09/17/12 9:32 pm

I can put up with shots and blood tests, but giving bone marrow is scary. the needle is way bigger and they stick it into your bone. I'd like to be able to do it someday, but right now it's something that I shy away from.

cornybread The Large Malus Fruit
09/17/12 9:30 pm

I also had over active tactile sensation so in preschool I went frequently for occupational therapy. when I was 10 I had an endoscopy and even under the maximum amount of anesthesia, I apparently was still reacting during the procedure.

JHawk3205 MD
09/17/12 9:27 pm

Back of my license reads organ donor- does that count?

cornybread The Large Malus Fruit
09/17/12 9:27 pm

@dlinz001 no you make a good point. it's just something that I've gotten to know about myself over the years. when I was little I was very highly reactive to the smallest discomforts, such as my mom braiding my hair and pulling a little too hard.

thekid524 New York
09/17/12 6:32 pm

Yes. Yes I would. I'm scared of needles, but my pain would be nothing compared to theirs

balugadofis FOR MINECRAFTIA
09/17/12 5:14 pm

I am severely afraid of sharp things and I still need my mom to hold my hand when I get shots at the doctor. I am 13 years old. I think that counts as a reason not to have someone sticking a needle in my backbone.

FyndFyre Moon Base Alpha
09/17/12 3:23 pm

@Lmurder
Having matching bone marrow with someone is rare. It's not like blood type, where you're either A, B, AB, or O. There are only a handful of people in the world with the same kind of bone marrow as you. It would be selfish not to donate to save someone's life.

dlinz001
09/17/12 2:44 pm

@cornbread how do you know if your hypersensitive to pain? Honestly just curious not being a dick

Kgirl
09/17/12 2:04 pm

I have had a bone marrow transplant and it saved my life. I am so glad to see that so many would donate

kaik12 Twin Cities, MN
09/17/12 1:55 pm

Yupp! I'm all signed up and in the system. Just waiting for a match. :)

not_even Boston, MA
09/17/12 12:05 pm

The process is painful. However think of those who need it to survive and how much pain they must be in.

ladyniner81 no hope for humanity
09/17/12 11:40 am

I don't think I can since i have a neurological disorder..and medications

lmurder MDK
09/17/12 9:29 am

Nope. My body is for me unless it's family.

09/17/12 7:32 am

No need to wait. Put yourself on a donor list today!

cornybread The Large Malus Fruit
09/17/12 7:02 am

even if you'd like to have the confidence that you could do it one day. I know personally that I'm hyper sensitive to pain and that it would be really hard for me, but that doesn't mean I'm selfish. It doesn't mean I'm not a registered organ donor or that I don't do plenty of other things for others

cornybread The Large Malus Fruit
09/17/12 6:59 am

and @dirtymagnum it's not just this country that's selfish. it's just human psychology. I would bet that not everyone who said yes would actually have the guts to do it. it's a personal decision and it's better to be honest if you're afraid to undergo the procedure,

113girl Idaho
09/17/12 6:52 am

i will be glad to, as soon as i give birth to my baby and make sure it's healthy.

cornybread The Large Malus Fruit
09/17/12 6:41 am

I'd have to be totally honest and say no since I've never actually faced the situation, and donating bone marrow is kind of scary. But I feel like if someone really needed my bone marrow then I would do it, since I know that if it was me who needed a transplant, I might depend on a stranger as well

TopsQueen Oregon Coast
09/17/12 6:36 am

Sort for the repeats. It said it did not post. Any way when a friends son had leukemia it cost $75. To get tested to register. Plus at the time I was morbidly obese. Not everyone is allowed to donate. If I could and can you bet.

snuzzy
09/17/12 5:41 am

I tried to join the bone marrow registry but I was excluded due to a problem with my spine.

EarlyBird Portland
09/17/12 4:20 am

This was a great topic and have enjoyed reading all the comments.

FakeSound Arizona
09/17/12 2:16 am

It would hurt like a motherfucker, but someone's life is worth my pain.

argyrosfenix Wisconsin
09/17/12 1:06 am

There are certain disease processes and cancers that disallow individuals from donating anything (blood or tissue). I fall into one of those categories, so I regretfully chose NO.

Used to be listed as an organ donor too...

pandora
09/17/12 12:35 am

@IMO Donation doesn't work like that! Do a little research,

dlinz001
09/16/12 10:35 pm

I said no because I'm not donating to someone that's not worth it like gang members or bad people in general but if it was an average descent person I would.

tk403 standish, ca
09/16/12 9:47 pm

I'm registered. Anyone need a kidney? I have 2....

IMO atoms, space, opinion
09/16/12 9:19 pm

Those who said yes (70%), what are you waiting for? Head on down to your local hospital. I'm sure they're desperate for life saving donors.

drhawkeye CA
09/16/12 7:51 pm

Side effects are to be expected and since it's considered an actual surgical procedure the risk of something going wrong is there. This hinders a lot of people. Preservation of self is the basis for evolution. Just playing devils advocate here.

09/16/12 7:50 pm

No since I can't for medical reasons.

disappoint Minneapolis
09/16/12 7:45 pm

Minutes of pain for someone's life. I'd do it if I got to meet the receiver.