Show Of Hands December 8th, 2012 12:00am

"Right to work" laws make it illegal to require union membership as a term of employment in any job. 23 states have some form of them. Bad idea, or good idea?

jeffro02
12/08/12 3:51 pm

Then my union donates money to a particular political party, again without my approval. The worst part: I work for the state.

In essence, to work for the state, I am required to donate money to one particular political party.

pvtliberal Ohio
12/08/12 3:48 pm

You get the benefits of the union without paying. Of curious it's bad. It's anti collectivism and will lower wages and benefits.

pvtliberal Ohio
12/08/12 3:48 pm

pinkyusuck The Carribean. I wish.
12/08/12 3:48 pm

Good idea. Closed shops are a violation of freedom of association. That said, if a shop wants to unionize, and they can get everyone on board, go for it.

Justa Illinois
12/08/12 3:46 pm

Can you name me a system on earth not run on greed? "the most dangerous ideas are not those being argued, they are the ones being assumed" c.s. Lewis

jeffro02
12/08/12 3:43 pm

I am forced to be a member of a union as a condition of employment. A union that does nothing for me except take $25 from every pay check, which they can raise whenever they feel like it. I do no have the right to vote in my union since I do not contribute an additional, voluntary, $5 per paycheck.

armstrje
12/08/12 3:38 pm

Average salary of a teacher is $44k. The head of the teachers union made over $490k last year. I'd say the union is being pretty greedy too.

suppressedID IMEACH BIDEN
12/08/12 3:20 pm

I'm Progressive and pro "right to work"...and pro-Union.

There's a time and place for everything.

Doopy Remedial Americanism
12/08/12 2:43 pm

Two wrongs fallacy. Union greed does not counterbalance corporate greed.

Rosebud Ohio
12/08/12 2:32 pm

Big- well, I was talking about unions. But it works there too...

Rosebud Ohio
12/08/12 2:20 pm

We had basically the same thing happen. Illegal termination (didn't have money to fight it though). We hadn't "paid enough". Hit us hard. And the dues equalled more than we got in food stamps. Gotta love that...

bigdog3210 Around
12/08/12 2:14 pm

Are we talking about obamacare now?

newman987
12/08/12 2:14 pm

Some unions are good, some are bad, but all should honor someone's wish to be left alone.

Rosebud Ohio
12/08/12 2:12 pm

Not to mention the dues. We had to pay more in his dues than we got in snap. Wouldn't have had to rely on it at that point had we not been forced to pay for him to have a job.

Rosebud Ohio
12/08/12 2:11 pm

Not always in their own interest. Union didn't protect my husbands job when he lost it because of a non-work injury (yet was still able to do his job). Unions are in their own interest, sometimes counter to the employes interest. Especially when they give money to other organizations.

mtnhome Utah
12/08/12 2:11 pm

Should a problem arise I would have to hire my own. Although I don't technically have to belong to the union, it really isn't much of a choice : (

mtnhome Utah
12/08/12 2:10 pm

At my job we don't have to belong to the union but, if we don't, they still take the same amount of money out of my paycheck and give it to a charity. Should a problem arise I have no representation unless I hire my own. I can't use the money they take out.

Rosebud Ohio
12/08/12 2:08 pm

Why is it a good idea to force someone into something they don't want to be a part of, and costs them (a significant amount of) money? That's coerseion and shouldn't be legal.

jdengel
12/08/12 1:54 pm

Are you suggesting unionizing McDonald's and Taco Bell? Because that's where the greatest disparity between CEO and employee is located?

acctdele
12/08/12 1:48 pm

Great talking points. Now put some facts behind it and prove your point.

MackGray Jiving and Shucking
12/08/12 1:45 pm

Labor unions need to be stronger as a counterbalance to corporate greed. The average CEO makes 300 times the wage of the average worker. It is no coincidence that as unionized workforce involvement has declined, the wage gap has increased substantially. Right to work is wrong on so many levels

redrocker Idaho
12/08/12 1:36 pm

even if you like unions, you can't think it is a good idea to force someone into one.

MajorMajor
12/08/12 1:33 pm

Mandatory union membership is exactly the kind of thing that makes them more harm than good.

acctdele
12/08/12 1:31 pm

With the labor laws and regulations what they are today you would be hard pressed to convince me for the need for unions. If you are too lazy to negotiate pay raises and benefits on your own then you're probably not a quality employee.

TempName14 Everywhere but nowhere
12/08/12 1:20 pm

Nothing free about being forced to join an organization in order to work. Why should someone have to join in order to support their family? Plus they use the dues to give political support overwhelmingly to democrats. What if your not a democrat? That's not fair at all.

fotoguy Florida
12/08/12 1:19 pm

Unions are no longer necessary and the way they're trying to remain relevant is kind of pathetic. Organize WalMart and McDonald's workers?? Seriously??

liberalD Massachusetts
12/08/12 1:18 pm

I think unions are a good idea.. But being forced into one is much. I got a job recently an im forced to pay extra for union dues otherwise you cant work there! Its rediculous

yallnoit
12/08/12 12:49 pm

Unions are just as corrupt as any corporation. The extort donations for the Democrat Party The only good jobs in the union are the administrators who live (quite well) off union due and still get paid during strikes.

sydwel
12/08/12 12:39 pm

Well if you have that it defeats the purpose of a union

ladyniner81 no hope for humanity
12/08/12 12:38 pm

place would take away your vacations, lunch break, benefits.. I doubt they can do that these days anyways..All they care about is their union dues and money..

JackTorS Clap you stupid bastards
12/08/12 12:36 pm

Unions had to fight for it for everyone else.

ladyniner81 no hope for humanity
12/08/12 12:34 pm

else, so when it came to negotiating a new contract, only that one department got bargaining rights, everyone else got screwed. I was working there 11 years and they had me working starting pay. that's when I realized how corrupt unions are.. they'd scare you into going on strike, saying your wor

jdengel
12/08/12 12:29 pm

Actually a 40 hour work week has its origins in owners and management who were convicted by their Christian beliefs to treat their employees better

ladyniner81 no hope for humanity
12/08/12 12:27 pm

I was in a union, and my department didn't even have a union steward, and no-one in the union would tell me how to become one. So when I got let go because I had a seizure, no-one was there to help me, yet the union was absent for 2 years, yet demanded dues. They favored one department over every

MrWolfe Nashville
12/08/12 12:25 pm

You took the words out of my mouth. I'm a member of a union in a non-union state. I wish others could understand the benefits.
I never feel strong-armed by either side, and it creates balance.
Always perfect? Of course not.. But better than 'either/or' in my experience.

Zod Above Pugetropolis
12/08/12 12:21 pm

Best, most decent, most reasonable and rational law ever created. In a right to work state you still have every freedom and opportunity to join as many unions as you like. But you also have the opportunity to work and earn a living without being forced to. Better for everybody. Win, win, win.

FreeBird1
12/08/12 12:13 pm

In the past workers did not have a voice, now we have the internets.

Unions are obsolete technology.

AJisFine
12/08/12 11:59 am

It's not a good idea... It's a great idea

sara VA
12/08/12 11:53 am

If unions aren't guaranteed membership, they will have to improve in order to attract workers or disappear.

JackTorS Clap you stupid bastards
12/08/12 11:50 am

That's the experience most people have with their union. When the contract is up, we negotiate a modest pay increase (sometimes we don't even ask for that) or benefit trade off and everyone walks away happy.

at777t
12/08/12 11:49 am

Ideally, all employers would make the well being of their employees a top priority, and unions would be unnecessary, but that doesn't seem to be in the cards in most cases.

CDFL alt right, alt snowflake
12/08/12 11:46 am

No one likes either idea.

JackTorS Clap you stupid bastards
12/08/12 11:46 am

I've worked with a union for over 15 years, and they have helped me with one particular incident with my employer. Represented me, performed an investigation and eventually exonerated me from any wrongdoing. Without the union, I would have been summarily dismissed from my position.

at777t
12/08/12 11:45 am

I think we can all agree that unions are as corruptible as any other organization. The best pro-union argument I can offer with a union like yours is that two corrupt organizations fighting each other is better than one corrupt organization having control over the workers.

Malekithe Resist
12/08/12 11:45 am

They are also limited by what the labor agreement states, whether they want it or not.

JackTorS Clap you stupid bastards
12/08/12 11:39 am

Who do you think fought for those laws? Corporations?

rbrown1
12/08/12 11:39 am

Public employee unions are there for the same reason: to protect workers from managers whose only concern is the bottom line. As for laws protecting workers, they have already been criticized by teabaggers. Watch how long they remain if unions disappear.

RogueMom In a Hand Basket
12/08/12 11:34 am

If you don't want to join a union you have "the freedom to look elsewhere" for a job.

If your employer doesn't want to give you contraceptive drugs or healthcare you have the freedom to "look elsewhere." But no one likes that idea

rbrown1
12/08/12 11:33 am

Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.