Show Of Hands December 8th, 2012 12:00am

"Right to work" laws make it illegal to require union membership as a term of employment in any job. 23 states have some form of them. Bad idea, or good idea?

ishady 86451132020
12/16/12 8:18 am

You have the right to work now for 8 bucks an hour. You can't feed your family or contribute to the economy and your still dependent on government.Soon 7 out of 10 jobs will be poverty level jobs.
Right to work? Right to be fùcking poor. The Republican Party- corporations bítches.

ishady 86451132020
12/16/12 8:00 am

Rep party- pro life and anti-worker

Think Lovin Life
12/15/12 5:03 am

Unions have become what they were created to fight against. In the early 20th century the corporations had all the power and the individual worker had no say. Now the unions have broken the backs of corporations and the worker has no say. Free the workers to save the union from self-destruction!

Think Lovin Life
12/15/12 4:59 am

And what about the unemployment rate comparison between the states that give workers choice and the states that reserve the choice to the union bosses?

Think Lovin Life
12/15/12 4:57 am

From Democrats compulsion is the new "choice". It's THEIR choice that they care about not ours!

Think Lovin Life
12/15/12 4:56 am

Mikey ... the Democrat party needs no help from Republicans, Dems is imploding under the weight of the O'legacy.

Threeper301 Gilbert, AZ
12/13/12 4:17 pm

...than any other kingdom, empire, country, nationality, tribe, or commonwealth in the past 5,000 years??? Answer: CAPITALISM

Threeper301 Gilbert, AZ
12/13/12 4:15 pm

You union thugs are so full of it. You claim that Capitalism is the problem, but what economic system supplies your paycheck? What economic system ALLOWS for that competition and incentive to make a bigger and better product? What economic system has brought a country farther in just over 200 years

Threeper301 Gilbert, AZ
12/13/12 4:11 pm

...and, competition makes better sh!t. Example: Google vs. Apple

Threeper301 Gilbert, AZ
12/13/12 4:11 pm

Indeed. It's competition that boosts the economy; not regulations or unions.

Threeper301 Gilbert, AZ
12/13/12 4:10 pm

Unions: We want Equal Pay for Unequal Work Hours. (Oh, and to intimidate you at the polls)

NUwriter
12/12/12 8:52 pm

Yes, MrMc2, accepting a job is a choice. Between the employer and the employee. If neither wants to involve the union, the it is none of the union's business. That's the point of "Right to Work". Not to destroy unions, but to make them get members voluntarily.

NUwriter
12/12/12 8:43 pm

The market protects workers. Unions prey on them.

NUwriter
12/12/12 8:42 pm

If only the rest of the country was as prosperous as Detroit.

Unions don't raise wages, they shift wages by limiting the number of workers. Producitvity raises real wages, and unions hurt productivity. On the whole, unions hurt workers overall.

The do enrich union bosses and politicians.

NUwriter
12/12/12 8:38 pm

You have bought a great deal of propaganda.
You miss on a huge fact, hours worked and real wages improved most in this country when union membership rates were under 3%.

Greed among the rich pushes wages up. They compete for workers. It's productivity that improves working conditions, not unions.

weezy
12/12/12 7:41 pm

Union haters. In 10-15 years enjoy your 80 hour work weeks for minimum wage pay with no benefits. Greed amongst the rich will prevail

cowboy Come on, man
12/12/12 11:46 am

Glad someone else finally gets it.

cowboy Come on, man
12/12/12 11:45 am

Finally a win against the Communists. And in Michigan of all places. Ahhh freedom feels good. Start burning down whats left of Detroit you union thugs.

MrWolfe Nashville
12/11/12 10:31 pm

Afraid this deal in Michigan is going to get ugly before it levels out. Brace yourselves, Michiganites.

RayX quit
12/11/12 8:09 pm

Fair: I wish you worked for a better company. It sounds like they wouldn't even write you a pay check unless your union made them write it.
How sad is that?
A better company would appreciate your services.

RayX quit
12/11/12 8:09 pm

How sad is that?
A better company would appreciate your services.

cerridwen Pennsylvania
12/11/12 5:55 pm

When I had my first job as a grocery store cashier at 16, I had to pay union dues. I shouldn't have had to do that. I think unions have a place, but it should be a choice.

derzeck
12/11/12 7:29 am

Unions have no place in a modern economy. Their unreasonable demands kill industries. Just looks at the American auto industry, we build crap cars to over pay the UAW. I boycott all union made goods.

SlowThink
12/10/12 11:52 pm

dem party...right to choose but no right to work

milo223
12/10/12 11:32 pm

Why not just go one step further and give companies the right to opt out of unionized labor all together? Unions just create animosity between employer/employee. Workers are safe due to federal laws and if you don't like your wage....quit.

swasden Springville, UT
12/10/12 10:53 am

When they do make it voluntary, the unions lose power... And we can't have that, now can we? Because then the Dems would lose most of their power and the majority of Americans would actually have their voices heard again!

swasden Springville, UT
12/10/12 10:51 am

Why would barring someone from working based on union membership be a good thing? Someone please explain? This is America, and we do not force people to join stupid "clubs" just to be able to provide for their families. You'd think we were communists or something...

MiKEY2012 Florida
12/10/12 10:19 am

Bad bad bad. Think wages are bad now! Just wait .....just another way for the right wing to try to destroy the dem. party. Won't work tho , just like their suppress the vote tactics didn't work either!! GOP is in extinction. Lol lol love it!! Hilary 2016! App. Rating of 60 when GOP is in the teens!

TiltonAllStarz Outside Ur Comfort Zone
12/10/12 2:20 am

If unions are so great, make membership voluntary.

genone
12/09/12 10:41 pm

Salli7, I guess you also don't understand that Obama re-wrote corporate law to do this? Funny how this isn't reported on the news!

JaquesV Bentonville, AR
12/09/12 8:41 pm

I think it was to deter folks from joining the Masons et al, but applies to modern unions. According to the doctrine, they wouldn't be able to say the Pledge of Allegiance without the "under God" part.

JaquesV Bentonville, AR
12/09/12 8:39 pm

I know of a particular church which believes that Christians should not be members of ANY group which does not have as its first priority to do God's work. None of the folks I know that belong to that church would join a union due to conflicts with their religious beliefs.

Justa Illinois
12/09/12 8:13 pm

I'm in agreement with you there. From my experience though, IBEW is the cream of the crop. I kind of view them as a business providing real value, not just a monopoly cornering the market and raising price on people who have no choice. Like I said several of the trades do this and I have no gripe.

davidleonardjr1
12/09/12 8:03 pm

I can't say all unions provide the same quality that they say they do. I can tell you that the IBEW trains us to the highest level at what we do. But unions are just like everything a few bad apples spoil the whole basket. But most people don't see the good that unions do because of the bad few.

roybiker12
12/09/12 8:02 pm

People get paid a lot of money to ruin the company they work for? Why would the owners of that business hire someone to do that to them? I think you must live in an alternative universe.

Justa Illinois
12/09/12 7:40 pm

Great example of a union that provides excellent reason to pay more. Several of the trades are like this. IBEW has excellent training and quality control. Do you think all unions can claim the same? That's the real question here.

smodcast Newport News, Va
12/09/12 6:35 pm

People should not be forced into a union (paying dues to an organization I don't support or that doesn't represent my beliefs). If you choose to work for the wage and terms presented then more power to you. Most unions are more corrupt than your average mobster

davidleonardjr1
12/09/12 6:03 pm

As a union electrician I Kansas I pay a total of thirty dollars out of pocket in dues. The rest is out of my check. But I can tell you I make a lot more than thirty dollars a month over a non union member. Plus my benefits are by far superior to the non union.

Justa Illinois
12/09/12 5:25 pm

Big. You hit it right in the head. Not only is employment challenged by inflated wages, it is challenged by higher taxes. My business pays workers, then also sends another 25% more to government. If I didn't pay it in tax, it would be available for wages/lower prices, or dare I say...higher profit?!

Justa Illinois
12/09/12 5:18 pm

I wonder how many dollars the workers pay in dues, and how much less expensive it is to make a good living in the right to work states?

flyberg Northern Kentucky
12/09/12 1:10 pm

Personally would be more interested in seeing reform regarding executive pay, particularly large payouts made to executives who get on board just to damage the company and leave with a ton of money.

flyberg Northern Kentucky
12/09/12 1:05 pm

Only good if there are other measures in place to protect workers.

jetman59
12/09/12 12:09 pm

Union sucks let people work oh that right t pos in the White House does not want that

ronfromcny New York
12/09/12 12:02 pm

"According to the Economic Policy Institute, the average full-time worker in a “Right To Work” state makes about $1,500 less annually than a similar worker in a non-RTW state. That’s not just union workers. That’s every worker earning less as a result of union busting."

BigGuns
12/09/12 11:33 am

Unions artificially raise wages above fair market value (the wage determined by supply and demand for the job). This causes fewer jobs to be available as an employer cannot higher the same amount of workers for a higher wage. Unions nowadays earn way more than their fair share at the cost of others.

NUwriter
12/09/12 10:17 am

Right to work laws don't forbid either unions or collective bargaining. They stop people from being coerced into unions.

They make people more free. Coercive unions do not.

SGTHOOAH
12/09/12 9:07 am

Why would we want to be part of a Union? I can fight for myself! If I do not like my job, I am free to find another one

denmond
12/09/12 8:33 am

61% of dems agree with right to work law. Really makes me wonder about those folks who say they are democrat if they even know why they are?

truenuff
12/09/12 7:52 am

I think Right To Work is being shown to be a good thing all the way around.