Show Of Hands August 24th, 2012 12:00am

Should the retired Navy SEAL who wrote a book disclosing confidential details about the Bin Laden raid be allowed to legally publish it?

hapbgme
08/24/12 8:33 am

Landoffree@ you are absolutely right. They are a code of silence. He's reasoning that I heard to right this book was to discredit our president from taking the entire credit for this terrorist's down fall. The leaks made by our administration prompted the writing of the book.

tidford My little piece of heaven
08/24/12 8:28 am

Presumably he signed a legally binding confidentiality agreement in which he released his Freedom of Speech rights on this subject. If he breached that agreement to the detriment of the safety of US personnel he should be prosecuted.

jasonreed
08/24/12 8:24 am

So long as the stuffs not "classified", then yes.

gonk In a psychology textbook
08/24/12 8:19 am

Wow, I've never changed my vote that many times in a 5-second span, and I'm still not sure about my answer. Maybe I'll go change it a few more times.

thekid524 New York
08/24/12 8:16 am

We as the citizens have a right to it

BeachSt Coastal Virginia
08/24/12 8:08 am

@kissmyfont: Yes, but he's in a bit of a pickle right now.

drunkbaby
08/24/12 7:57 am

Democrats and republicans are probably equally afraid of the political implications for their party in November. No doubt both sides will be in full spin mode the day the book is released. I'd be against releasing it just so I don't have to listen to all of the political BS in the aftermath.

smtimberman
08/24/12 7:51 am

Wow. For once democrats and republicans agree and it's the independents disagreeing. This is rare

kaik12 Twin Cities, MN
08/24/12 7:38 am

I'd say no. Although he has the right to freedom of the press, confidential military information surpasses that right. If someone fighting for Iraq got ahold of that book, it could be disastrous for our nation's security.

O13 Alabama
08/24/12 7:36 am

@landoffree: you're thinking of special forces... "silent professionals". That is not the seals motto, official or unofficial.

@dirtyj: a freakin video game? Really? That's what war and death are to you?

08/24/12 7:20 am

SEALs are silent professionals.

hippiedude fields of green
08/24/12 7:18 am

I agree with moonshoot, i also think it would be cool to see what it would be like to see that event from a first person point of view. Also it would potentially lead to a really cool video game story line kinda like COD

08/24/12 7:18 am

They're letting that Assamge guy publish all that stuff.....

moonshot More often I know nothing
08/24/12 7:16 am

There shouldn't be any secrets. If it can't be done publicly, then it shouldn't be done at all.

sunsweet Sweet yet blunt
08/24/12 7:15 am

I don't anyone knows if it's confidential or not. If the information endangers our troops, of course not. If not, more power to him.

BriD Illinois
08/24/12 7:11 am

Depends on what the military rules/laws consist of.

pinkyusuck The Carribean. I wish.
08/24/12 7:02 am

Yes, as long as those details don't endanger the men who performed the raid or those who assisted with the raid on the Pakistani side, and as long as national secrets (advanced technology, etc.) are not revealed.

08/24/12 7:02 am

As long as no major secrets/tactics of the SEALS are revealed that could put future teams in danger, then it is ok. This is America, freedom of speech.

commonsense America isnt racist
08/24/12 6:59 am

Freedom of speech. It's already been edited by military officials for sensitive data.

gollyg
08/24/12 6:33 am

What I'm really waiting for is one of Bin Laden's three wives to release a book. Let's come up with a few clever titles. I'll start. Two In the Head One In the Chest.

yepnope Maryland
08/24/12 6:23 am

Yes only because I really want to read it. But if it has anything in it that could endanger other people's lives then no.

drunkbaby
08/24/12 6:22 am

He should submit it to the ministry of truth to be scrutinized and altered if necessary in order better fit the needs of his party. Long live Big Brother.

mac Oregon
08/24/12 6:16 am

Freedom of speech and the right to make a buck. It has been enough time to not endanger our nation or others....hopefully....

blockfisher Clinton, CT
08/24/12 6:16 am

Last. They'll kill us all for knowing.

gollyg
08/24/12 6:14 am

First! I plead the 5th. Oh, and a little bit of good ole American entrepreneurship.