Show Of Hands January 12th, 2013 12:00am

Actress Quvenzhané Wallis, who was 6 years old when "Beasts of the Southern Wild" was filmed, has been nominated for a Best Actress Oscar. Some critics have argued that kids so young aren't really acting, but instead are just "subjects" of the director an

JD32 Oklahoma
01/12/13 7:10 pm

Lol I was joking with you Angie

abbeylove Syracuse, NY
01/12/13 7:06 pm

The Oscars are pretty biased they never like Christopher Nolan because he isn't politically correct. And Leonardo DiCaprio is too good for any nomination that's the only thing that makes sense. Do we really expect the oscars to pick the best. This is why they're loosing a lot of audiences.

aria25
01/12/13 7:06 pm

Looks like people over 40 are jealous of the young and successful.

veritas1 Panda
01/12/13 6:57 pm

@susan. It was the best film of the year, IMO. Lincoln will win, but Beasts was a better film. It's one I those you have to watch multiple times to truly appreciate and catch the nuances of.

Acting is good. I really liked the score, too.

susanr Colorado
01/12/13 6:52 pm

You're making me want to see it, so thanks. I hadn't even heard of the movie, let alone the young actress, before now.

timewarrior6
01/12/13 6:50 pm

I never seen a single preview for this movie let alone even heard of it. Was it like a limited release or something?

dahawwl Texas
01/12/13 6:46 pm

She did an incredible job and deserves the nomination.

commonsense America isnt racist
01/12/13 6:45 pm

It doesn't matter. Oscars are chosen by actors/directors/crews. These people have a different (weird) view from normal non-Hollywood folks. It's why movies like mulon rouge get "movie of the year" and everyone looks at each other and scratches their heads.

Like django getting a nomination. Lame

susanr Colorado
01/12/13 6:42 pm

Tatum O'Neal and Anna Pacquin both won Best Supporting Actress Oscars. They were a little older but still pre-teen. Mary Badham was nominated for To Kill a Mockingbird; I wish she'd won that. And a handful of others, both girls & boys, have been nominated.

Christie2016
01/12/13 6:33 pm

Journey and Flowers got publicity from the VGA and different awards. What more do you want?

robolds Initiative
01/12/13 6:32 pm

And the libations, I am sure!

Zod Above Pugetropolis
01/12/13 6:31 pm

There are likely young prodigies in every field, but it feels like the line between taking direction and acting would be very thin at six years old. There have been many child stars over the years, but no Oscar-worthy performances so far. I have not seen the film, but vote a flexible no until I do.

opinoner homaha
01/12/13 6:26 pm

I hope she wins:))

melders Entertainment Sometimes
01/12/13 6:26 pm

The VGAs are a joke. They show trailers for next year's games and don't even have a category for best writing/narrative. Plus, I think the GotY is voted for by online users. The Walking Dead was pretty good, but usually AAA games win at the VGAs, not the low budget gems.

Loadmaster Sacto
01/12/13 6:25 pm

Anyone with a 6 year old can tell you that acting is NOT beyond their abilities at all.

veritas1 Panda
01/12/13 6:23 pm

Although a ton of credit definitely has to go Ben Zeitlin.

The actor who portrayed Hushpuppy's (Quvenzhané) dad was originally the catering baker for the set. There's something to be said about directing a 6-year-old best actress nom and baker-cum-actor leading cast.

veritas1 Panda
01/12/13 6:16 pm

The acting was incredible. She portrayed a kind of stoic yet innocent resoluteness that was worthy of the nomination. She won't win and doesn't deserve to, but the performance is the same, regardless of age.

Call me crazy…but perhaps people should actually see the movie before judging the acting.

rickvee Living the dream
01/12/13 6:14 pm

Also... Who and what movie?

nRattlehead
01/12/13 6:14 pm

What the hell!!! She's nominated for an Oscar??? What did YOU accomplish when you were six?

bnnt Los Angeles
01/12/13 6:14 pm

As a father of a barely 7 daughter, it's very difficult to direct them. I strongly believe its an innate ability of the child and director.

RJ1969 SoCal
01/12/13 6:10 pm

Wait?! What?! Can you imagine if someone said this about Mozart?

Christie2016
01/12/13 6:10 pm

You mean the VGA's? And the Walking Dead Game? Seriously that's dumb of you not to know.

EarlyBird Portland
01/12/13 6:06 pm

There have been musical genius's as young as four. Would you deny the child's talent because of his/her age?

EarlyBird Portland
01/12/13 6:01 pm

Dust - I'm surprised you would deny a "best actress" award to someone, because of her age.
If she doesn't deserve it, she shouldn't receive it but if she gave an outstanding performance, give her the award.

leary Dulag Luft
01/12/13 5:59 pm

Makes me think of the Ramsey girl who was also six. That's really young to be in the adult world.

EarlyBird Portland
01/12/13 5:54 pm

I think you should ask a question about the "Tony" awards ????

melders Entertainment Sometimes
01/12/13 5:48 pm

Oscars are the sole reason some great, original movies like Schindler's List and The Social Network are able to get the green light: Oscar winners sell. I'd love for video games to have an awards show like the Oscars. Then publishers would be more willing to take risks.

avril89lavigne RVa
01/12/13 5:46 pm

Aren't all actors "subjects" of the directors? Of course she isn't too young.

brownskins786 Virginia
01/12/13 5:41 pm

That's awfully petty. While I agree that today's kids, including my own generation, are way too pampered, what's an adult to do with an award anyway, especially one as meaningless as the ones that kids usually receive? And the world now revolves around kids because what else do we have to live for?

thatguy81 here
01/12/13 5:39 pm

Those who say no probably don't have kids or have dumb kids. An intelligent child is an amazing sight. Quite a few "kids" I know are smarter then most "adults" I know

Malekithe Resist
01/12/13 5:38 pm

The whole concept of an awards show is stupid anyway.
A bunch of insecure blowhards telling themselves how great they are to maintain their fragile self esteem.
They should just entertain us, collect their millions and shut the hell up. We don't need their opinions or their awards.

MrLove lovers, dreamers and me
01/12/13 5:34 pm

How exciting for the child, from her perspective she must be ecstatic. Aren't they nominated by their peers?

quint13 Texas
01/12/13 5:32 pm

I almost did the same thing for that poll lol

dustbunny
01/12/13 5:32 pm

It was a different time then, how many movies came out back then? She was cute, white and people went nuts over her. But have you really seen her acting? It's shit!

dustbunny
01/12/13 5:31 pm

But they're not competing, these Hollywood people in charge of nominating are just trying to show the world how awesome they are for including this little girl. It's kind of like when the Precious girl won. I don't think the actress was good, she just pouted the whole time...and ate.

TheMadScientist the mad laboratory
01/12/13 5:31 pm

Write your questions as long as you want. We will never start playing music to get you off stage, Mr. Tony.

TheMadScientist the mad laboratory
01/12/13 5:27 pm

@Nostromo: you're Chinese?

TheMadScientist the mad laboratory
01/12/13 5:27 pm

I think thats the point. Actors are communicating using a medium in which they were trained. It's like an interpreter, but for the story to the audience rather than between two languages. Little kids cant do that. They play pretend. It is a different skill and it might be unfair to ask that of them.

Dinglberry
01/12/13 5:27 pm

what about shirley temple? i think she was a natural who deserved the awards

dustbunny
01/12/13 5:26 pm

You mean pompous, pampas is a region in South America.
Have you seen the movie or at least the trailer? The kid is cute but cute doesn't win oscars...or it shouldn't anyway.
The movie itself might deserve an Oscar, haven't seen it.

TruthWizard south Indy
01/12/13 5:25 pm

How crappy do the other nominees feel that they are competing with someone that s that young lol

state88 Never too late
01/12/13 5:23 pm

Wrong comments. :( I fail.

quint13 Texas
01/12/13 5:23 pm

Wrong poll? Yes :P

dustbunny
01/12/13 5:21 pm

"Are" and no I am not jealous, I'm just not a sheep.

dustbunny
01/12/13 5:20 pm

I just watched the trailer for the movie (again)I think it's going to be a good movie and it's been in my Netflix queue for months.
The kid doesn't speak in any of the scenes shown and she seems to have 2 expressions, dubious and serious.
Now I'm even more convinced she doesn't deserve the Oscar.

ryno Flyover Country
01/12/13 5:20 pm

Wouldn't you say she is an exception to the rule? At age 6 she did that and did it well enough to be nominated for an amazing performance. I don't see the big deal with giving credit where credit is due. Does it matter if directors and writers helped her? All actors/actresses learn somehow.

angiebrite Gallifrey
01/12/13 5:19 pm

But acting isn't "be angry" or "be happy". That's called BAD acting.
It's about "what makes you happy" how do you personally act when in that state? Etc etc etc
I dunno guys, I finding it hard to sum up my four years of undergrad in 300 characters. Lol just trust me when I say acting is hard!