Show Of Hands January 12th, 2013 12:00am

CBS has banned CNET (which it owns) from reviewing any Dish Network products, citing a disagreement over Dish's commercial skipping technology. Good business decision (i.e. don't praise the enemy) or a bad one (i.e. hurts journalistic integrity)?

acavemand The Burgh
01/12/13 10:55 am

Oh. Stupid letter N. Making me look stupid. So then I support ABC and Disney I guess. Whatever the point is I try to give as little support to the major "news" companies like CNN, Fox, etc. as possible. Because they all suck politician's dicks.

Lutang
01/12/13 10:51 am

ESPN is owned by ABC. Which is owned by Disney.

leary Dulag Luft
01/12/13 10:50 am

There is no such thing as journalistic integrity.

blargh
01/12/13 10:49 am

Anyone remember the name of the Philip K Dick novel?

chelsiec89
01/12/13 10:47 am

Fox is so one sided in my opinion

acavemand The Burgh
01/12/13 10:43 am

I don't even watch the news. I might be wrong about this but I think NBC owns ESPN. So I support them everyday I guess. But I live in an area where you're either a hardcore republican or a moderate democrat. My republican friends were the inspiration behind that post. They live and breath Foxnews.

FemmeAdamWest in the Tardis library
01/12/13 10:37 am

A bad one or that type of stuff is twitter cause someone will say something totally false and out there but people don't look into it and just repost repost repost. Sometimes I will want to share something on Facebook but I can't find out where the story even came from!

Lutang
01/12/13 10:32 am

We don't have "news organizations" anymore. We have "entertainment news organizations." These channels are about ratings these days so they need sensationalist "reporting." but don't blame FOX & MSNBC. Blame you and your neighbors for watching and giving them the ratings & the OK to keep doing it.

Lutang
01/12/13 10:29 am

Oh my god. I love the "facts" on the Internet. Lol. Some whacko writes a blog post and other whack jobs use it as "fact" that they are "right.". Lol

acavemand The Burgh
01/12/13 10:24 am

Psssst... It's funny because FOX is everything wrong with media... But don't tell Bill O'Rielly... Pinhead.

FemmeAdamWest in the Tardis library
01/12/13 10:24 am

And that sucks because it makes people turn to the Internet when looking for news and the Internet just has little bits of truth shoved into tons of bs stories :(

acavemand The Burgh
01/12/13 10:23 am

This is another reason that CBS lacks journalistic value and integrity. Why can't we all just watch the most trusted and honest network of all, FOX. From their totally non-Cowboys supporting NFL coverage to a fair and balanced news system I put my trust in them each and every day. HA! Good one, me.

olympus32
01/12/13 10:20 am

All I'm talking about is brining back the value of the dollar. That's how we as a nation vote, not in the ballot room but with your dollar. Be more picky with where you dollars go and businesses will respond to demand.Econ 101. Instead shop at Walmart, down with small guys that help the community

Lutang
01/12/13 10:18 am

Integrity is everything. If you are a news organization which doesn't report facts and all facts then you are NOT a news organization. Which essentially means Fox, MSNBC, CBS, etc...we apparently don't have a REAL news organization here in the US

olympus32
01/12/13 10:16 am

I think people only watch reality shows because they've been zoned into tv so long that overhyped teenagers, and bad parents are good shows. What happened to shows with plot, character development, and good writing? But it's ok there'll be a reality network that costs pennies bc nobody gives a damn

TruthWizard south Indy
01/12/13 9:40 am

Even fon a businessman point of view their customers aren't going to be happy about this. They'll regret it in sure

babymomma
01/12/13 9:39 am

Advertising sucks. Like people need more STUFF. It should be illegal to brainwash people.

suppressedID suck it Kyle
01/12/13 9:31 am

Unless you find a market of suckers, like Faux. Then you're set for life.

PT Barnum would be proud.

BriD Illinois
01/12/13 9:20 am

Um think there will still be plenty of "reality" shows...

roybiker12
01/12/13 9:20 am

CBS has a fiduciary responsibility to its shareholders (e.g. All those 401s's) to maximize profitability. I don't want my retirement funds to invest in companies who do otherwise.

olympus32
01/12/13 9:19 am

I say we switch from free tv to pay for service like HBO. Tv networks would respond to viewers choice not advertisers desires.
Pro: Pick and chose channels you want
Programming is responsive to the
consumers and not the advertisers
No commercials
No reality shows
Con: Costs more money

Pragmaniac Hipsterville
01/12/13 9:14 am

The only thing that rich people love more than money is other rich people.

truspec Texas
01/12/13 9:08 am

Also the Fox people joking about a news network owned by Arabs, laughing at Al Jazeera, but wait, Fox's second biggest shareholder is Prince Alwaleed bin Talal, an Arab

MamaLuvzYou
01/12/13 8:57 am

Like Fox attacking the sale of Current to Al Jazeera when Rupert Murdoch owns a competing MORE RADICAL Islamist network in Qatar??

It's about money and preserving the empires.

form Winter Springs, FL
01/12/13 8:51 am

Where do you get your information?

Pragmaniac Hipsterville
01/12/13 8:44 am

Djinni is out of the bottle. Consumer demand will drive them there eventually. And they have to eat a nice portion of crow when they do.

The market punishes willful ignorance.

dlaw4570
01/12/13 8:40 am

There is no journalistic integrity!! When is the last time you believed anything from the media?

EarlyBird Portland
01/12/13 8:32 am

CBS makes money from advertisements.
Why would they allow their company (Cnet) to sell the technology to skip advertisements?

Good business decision!

scrappy23
01/12/13 8:31 am

The real bad biz decision is dish coming out with this product! They're already losing networks... Introducing a new feature that inhibits networks from effectively advertising isn't a good negotiating tactic lol

satguy08 California
01/12/13 8:20 am

it is getting to a point where just a few mega companies will own everything. Control what we read, hear and eat.

gjb2779
01/12/13 8:06 am

I don't think it's smart or good business, but if the own CNET they can do as they please

Rosebud Ohio
01/12/13 7:58 am

Well I guess I won't rely on them for any reviews... Not that I did before.
But it's dishonest. "Don't do your job of it involves someone or something we don't like!"
What it really says is they believe it would only be rated high. Otherwise, why disallow a negative report?

jestjer
01/12/13 7:43 am

They didn't say it was a channel.

joshg USS Battleship Alabama
01/12/13 7:40 am

If they own the company and they're not breaking any laws they can do as they please. God bless America.

omniku dot com
01/12/13 7:39 am

CNET isn't a channel, it's a website that reviews and rates tech products and software. It's useful if you're shopping for the best printer or something.

jestjer
01/12/13 7:21 am

Why would anyone ever watch the news OR listen to anything that's owned by a fake TV network? The media is all fake these days.

jimmyjelly BFE, PA