Show Of Hands January 12th, 2013 12:00am

CBS has banned CNET (which it owns) from reviewing any Dish Network products, citing a disagreement over Dish's commercial skipping technology. Good business decision (i.e. don't praise the enemy) or a bad one (i.e. hurts journalistic integrity)?

Lutang
01/12/13 10:32 am

We don't have "news organizations" anymore. We have "entertainment news organizations." These channels are about ratings these days so they need sensationalist "reporting." but don't blame FOX & MSNBC. Blame you and your neighbors for watching and giving them the ratings & the OK to keep doing it.

joshg USS Battleship Alabama
01/12/13 7:40 am

If they own the company and they're not breaking any laws they can do as they please. God bless America.

MamaLuvzYou
01/12/13 8:57 am

Like Fox attacking the sale of Current to Al Jazeera when Rupert Murdoch owns a competing MORE RADICAL Islamist network in Qatar??

It's about money and preserving the empires.

sheriboo
01/12/13 4:11 pm

Since when does CBS give a crap about journalistic integrity?

EarlyBird Portland
01/12/13 8:32 am

CBS makes money from advertisements.
Why would they allow their company (Cnet) to sell the technology to skip advertisements?

Good business decision!

truspec Texas
01/12/13 9:08 am

Also the Fox people joking about a news network owned by Arabs, laughing at Al Jazeera, but wait, Fox's second biggest shareholder is Prince Alwaleed bin Talal, an Arab

Pragmaniac Hipsterville
01/12/13 9:14 am

The only thing that rich people love more than money is other rich people.

olympus32
01/12/13 9:19 am

I say we switch from free tv to pay for service like HBO. Tv networks would respond to viewers choice not advertisers desires.
Pro: Pick and chose channels you want
Programming is responsive to the
consumers and not the advertisers
No commercials
No reality shows
Con: Costs more money

cato Santa Barbara, California
01/12/13 11:17 am

CBS has no credibility to tarnish

Pragmaniac Hipsterville
01/12/13 8:44 am

Djinni is out of the bottle. Consumer demand will drive them there eventually. And they have to eat a nice portion of crow when they do.

The market punishes willful ignorance.

gonzoboy Arizona
01/12/13 12:41 pm

CNET at its heart is editorializer/reviewer of, among other related things, digital hardware. Yet, they are banned from reviewing a name brand product? Seems it'd be a little difficult to maintain credibility, or be viewed as objective. CBS has this right. They also have the right to lack courage.

omniku dot com
01/12/13 7:39 am

CNET isn't a channel, it's a website that reviews and rates tech products and software. It's useful if you're shopping for the best printer or something.

leary Dulag Luft
01/12/13 10:50 am

There is no such thing as journalistic integrity.

Helpless Anywhere I want to be.
01/12/13 12:01 pm

Now I can just skip CBS.

TempName14 Everywhere but nowhere
01/12/13 12:19 pm

Journalistic integrity went away at least 20 years ago. Yellow journalism is the standard today.

cyoung
01/12/13 1:06 pm

What is this journalistic integrity you speak of?

Rosebud Ohio
01/12/13 7:58 am

Well I guess I won't rely on them for any reviews... Not that I did before.
But it's dishonest. "Don't do your job of it involves someone or something we don't like!"
What it really says is they believe it would only be rated high. Otherwise, why disallow a negative report?

suppressedID IMEACH BIDEN
01/12/13 9:31 am

Unless you find a market of suckers, like Faux. Then you're set for life.

PT Barnum would be proud.

babymomma
01/12/13 9:39 am

Advertising sucks. Like people need more STUFF. It should be illegal to brainwash people.

dlaw4570
01/12/13 8:40 am

There is no journalistic integrity!! When is the last time you believed anything from the media?

mem705
01/12/13 11:57 am

Seriously all the bad biz votes? Until everyone learns that networks are businesses not a public service people will continue to be duped by believing there is a shred of impartiality. Everything has a slant. A business owner has rights to not promote or review anything that hurts their business.

olympus32
01/12/13 10:16 am

I think people only watch reality shows because they've been zoned into tv so long that overhyped teenagers, and bad parents are good shows. What happened to shows with plot, character development, and good writing? But it's ok there'll be a reality network that costs pennies bc nobody gives a damn

suppressedID IMEACH BIDEN
01/12/13 10:58 am

And no such thing as making people happy when you deliver news they don't want to hear.

KILL THE MESSENGER.

xplayman New York City
01/12/13 2:06 pm

It's not bad business because of journalistic integrity, it's bad business it drives MORE attention to Dish.

newman987
01/12/13 12:13 pm

No one has Dish network anyways.

FemmeAdamWest in the Tardis library
01/12/13 10:37 am

A bad one or that type of stuff is twitter cause someone will say something totally false and out there but people don't look into it and just repost repost repost. Sometimes I will want to share something on Facebook but I can't find out where the story even came from!

roybiker12
01/12/13 9:20 am

CBS has a fiduciary responsibility to its shareholders (e.g. All those 401s's) to maximize profitability. I don't want my retirement funds to invest in companies who do otherwise.

satguy08 California
01/12/13 8:20 am

it is getting to a point where just a few mega companies will own everything. Control what we read, hear and eat.

mem705
01/12/13 12:00 pm

Bad business would be airing negative product reviews to deter viewers from purchasing the technology.

susanr Colorado
01/12/13 10:38 pm

I tolerate them for that reason, Tops, but honestly I really don't watch them, with rare exceptions. Most of the stuff that's advertised I have no interest in buying. I also don't use an ad blocker on my browsers because I appreciate free web sites, but I almost never click on an ad.

Lutang
01/12/13 10:18 am

Integrity is everything. If you are a news organization which doesn't report facts and all facts then you are NOT a news organization. Which essentially means Fox, MSNBC, CBS, etc...we apparently don't have a REAL news organization here in the US

jimmyjelly BFE, PA
01/12/13 7:18 am

Sounds dirty to me.

geoag02 Dallas, TX
01/12/13 12:10 pm

I am in no way defending NBC here. Just stating it is an example of the mindset they have that it isn't wrong if they just leave out a few of the details... or seconds of the recording.

jestjer
01/12/13 7:21 am

Why would anyone ever watch the news OR listen to anything that's owned by a fake TV network? The media is all fake these days.

TopsQueen Oregon Coast
01/12/13 12:13 pm

Commercials keeps the cost of watching TV down they're the ones that pay for the programs

c6430hp
01/13/13 3:25 am

It's censorship at the source. It makes no sense.

JD32 Oklahoma
01/12/13 3:13 pm

Its simple people. They are a business trying to make a profit. They make most of their money by airing commercial time in which they enter a legal agreement with another company. The option to skip commercials violates a contract. They are protecting their business from losing investors and $

chelsiec89
01/12/13 10:47 am

Fox is so one sided in my opinion

ufgator48
01/12/13 3:20 pm

And they wonder why they can't be trusted.....

gjb2779
01/12/13 8:06 am

I don't think it's smart or good business, but if the own CNET they can do as they please

kut17
01/12/13 1:47 pm

What is "journalistic integrity?"

form Winter Springs, FL
01/12/13 8:51 am

Where do you get your information?

suppressedID IMEACH BIDEN
01/12/13 7:31 pm

Corporate directive. Not journalistic order. I can guarantee the news team hates it. But it's their paycheck...

olympus32
01/12/13 10:20 am

All I'm talking about is brining back the value of the dollar. That's how we as a nation vote, not in the ballot room but with your dollar. Be more picky with where you dollars go and businesses will respond to demand.Econ 101. Instead shop at Walmart, down with small guys that help the community

Zod Above Pugetropolis
01/12/13 12:12 pm

Just more proof that CBS has given up on even the illusion of integrity. It's like these knuckleheads have never heard of this thing called the Interwebs. Do something that obviously shady and people will find out.

acavemand The Burgh
01/12/13 10:23 am

This is another reason that CBS lacks journalistic value and integrity. Why can't we all just watch the most trusted and honest network of all, FOX. From their totally non-Cowboys supporting NFL coverage to a fair and balanced news system I put my trust in them each and every day. HA! Good one, me.

acavemand The Burgh
01/12/13 10:24 am

Psssst... It's funny because FOX is everything wrong with media... But don't tell Bill O'Rielly... Pinhead.

LaraAshton
01/15/13 6:01 pm

Well now I know I won't go to cnet for reviews because they're bias. I have dish and love it.