RussianThunder December 2nd, 2017 7:04pm

As a follow up to my question about the most influential or important person of the 20th century...who do you think is the most influential person of this millennium? 1017-2017

DoctorWasdarb Marxist Leninist Maoist
12/02/17 3:07 pm

What did Da Vinci do? William the Conquerer isn't a bad choice.

RussianThunder Russia and USA
12/02/17 3:07 pm

I don’t know, I despise Luther but he broke the power of the church. Of course, the Protestants soon acted like the Catholics they just protested but the power of the pope in everyday lives was diminished.

DoctorWasdarb Marxist Leninist Maoist
12/02/17 3:11 pm

Also not a bad choice. Also maybe the popes that led the crusades. Indirectly trading with the east was one of the causes of the Bubonic Plague, which in my opinion, was one of the most influential events which led to the fall of feudalism in Europe.

RussianThunder Russia and USA
12/03/17 1:53 pm

Everything with you is class system though. I don’t see everything through the prism of class, class struggle and Marxism type view. You do. That’s fine. That’s not how I see it and history is so much more than just class struggle.

DoctorWasdarb Marxist Leninist Maoist
12/02/17 3:13 pm

That assumes that religion is the driving force in society, which I don't believe it was or is. It was merely a reflection of greater forces in society. The church protected the power of the feudal lords. Luther's philosophy led to the selling of church lands, which reinforced the power of wealthy land owners/the middle class/the bourgeoisie to come.

GrandmaALiCE Rocky Mtns aerial view
12/02/17 6:07 pm

I know why you hate him, RT. He was an anti-Semite.

However, the question was “most important” or “most influential,” not “most likable.”

RussianThunder Russia and USA
12/02/17 7:09 pm

Well, I was agreeing with him. Luther did change the world forever, there is no denying that.

RussianThunder Russia and USA
12/02/17 3:17 pm

No, I think it was the reverse. The feudal lords reflected the church. Look at how the split affected England.