Think November 23rd, 2019 5:18pm

I broke the temple of my prescription sunglasses. I bought these in part because of the “lifetime warranty”. I went into the optical center and they said they could replace the part only if they are still made. Is that a “lifetime warranty”?

theNobamist Silicon Valley
11/23/19 11:45 pm

Sadly, lifetime means the lifetime if the product, not the user.

They should make that clear, yes?

And... say what they anticipate the "lifetime" to be.

Zod Above Pugetropolis
11/23/19 9:08 pm

Life of the thing, not the life of the buyer. Once that model is no longer made, or the parts are no longer available, it’s past its "lifetime". I'm having a similar issue with a "lifetime" water heater right now that is only fifteen years old. When the last of the spare parts are used up, and it fails again, they'll replace it with a new model that only has a six year warranty, and when that one dies, the "lifetime" of the warranty is used up. It’s a scam.

MurphDawg information of the now
11/23/19 6:25 pm

Lifetime of the production of that specific part when they deem it necessary? Then yes. Otherwise no

DonWichita Kansas
11/23/19 4:52 pm

When it breaks, it's life is over.

mtdewbob Arizona
11/23/19 2:10 pm

Most warranties like that will give you sunglasses of an equal value.

Zingerz Wisconsin
11/23/19 2:08 pm

Just posted a similar poll but to do with a lifetime contract with an insurance broker. Is everything a rip off these days?!

polster2 US
11/23/19 2:07 pm

If they don’t make the part, they should just give you a new pair free of charge.

Ferganam Behind You
11/23/19 1:39 pm

Replace with whole new item

RatBaby
11/23/19 1:20 pm

90% of the time the "lifetime" in lifetime warranty refers to the "intended lifetime of the product".

SHIPPY1944 Tn.
11/23/19 1:15 pm

Think, I had the same thing happen too me with my “Former Optometrist” I paid $ 700 for a pair of light weight “lifetime Warrenty” titanium frames. After Replacing them because twice, because of non abuse, but frame structural breaks, I was told, they were no longer under Warrenty because the manufacturer was no longer making that type, but making a different model😳❓Soooo...I guess their lifetime Warrenty was not for “my lifetime”, but the lifetime of that specific flawed frame model & type❗️😡 (Bait & Switch🤥)

Think, Google & Check out Thin Optics website, they are innovative light weight eyeware & reasonably priced, I have a pair of reading glasses with the case mounted onto my iPhone case, so they’re always with me👍🏼‼️

SHIPPY1944 Tn.
11/23/19 1:19 pm

PS, I inadvertently damaged a nose piece, I called them & they sent me a new free pair at no cost & postage free😊❣️

Think Lovin Life
11/23/19 2:17 pm

Shippy ... thanks for the tip!!!

lcamino Florida and Georgia
11/23/19 6:30 pm

I wish I had seen this a couple of days ago, I JUST ordered new glasses.

SHIPPY1944 Tn.
11/23/19 8:09 pm

Check out their site, they are inexpensive enough, you can still buy yourself a second pair👍🏼 Another inexpensive alternative source is, of all places Dollar Tree $ I buy all my home reading glasses at my magnification strength & they’re a buck a pair, also all their😎sunglasses are polorized/UV plus any choice of frame & shade I want❗️If I break, bend or scratch them, I toss them & buy another replacement👍🏼

SHIPPY1944 Tn.
11/23/19 8:14 pm

I especially like their Aviator frame sunglasses, lots of guys ask what brand & what I paid for them & it blows their minds🤯when I tell them😉❗️

lcamino Florida and Georgia
11/23/19 9:55 pm

Thanks, Shippy!

SHIPPY1944 Tn.
11/23/19 10:04 pm

👍🏼

lj74
11/23/19 1:10 pm

Go directly to the manufacturer

Whatsamattaferu 11726
11/23/19 1:08 pm

They would replace the frames with something else

chickencookie Jihad Joe
11/23/19 1:03 pm

Sounds like an easy fix. I’ve broken so many prescription frames.

Ebola007 Florida
11/23/19 11:27 am

They should replace them with a version that is available close to the one that broke. I would imagine glasses frames have a high turnover and short lifespan. Sounds like a scam.

think4yourself Not a safe space
11/23/19 11:06 am

Many companies will replace it with “like kind” if they no longer make the original. That’s what I would expect.

4JC Christian Pastors Wife
11/23/19 11:09 am

Yes, I had a blood pressure monitor replaced like this recently....with an updated model. They SHOULD replace it with something as close to it as possible. But as you can see from my comment under Susanr’s comment below, lifetime doesn’t mean lifetime!

think4yourself Not a safe space
11/23/19 11:25 am

That’s why you always have to read the fine print.

4JC Christian Pastors Wife
11/23/19 11:41 am

I can’t even SEE the fine print. I’m having a harder and harder time just seeing the REGULAR print! 😂🤣😂

SHIPPY1944 Tn.
11/23/19 12:51 pm

4JC, I’ve got just the thing for handy reading glasses they are called Thin Optics, they are inexpensive & can be carried & mounted to your iPhone or Android case or on a keychain. Goggle them & let me know what you think❓

4JC Christian Pastors Wife
11/23/19 1:02 pm

Thanks, Shippy! You had told me about those before. The thing is, I ALREADY wear reading glasses, but now I’m also having a hard time seeing what road signs say until I get right up on them. I need to go to the eye doctor.

SHIPPY1944 Tn.
11/23/19 1:23 pm

4JC, I think you can send them your prescription & they will make them for you, but call their number & check, they are very friendly & accommodating👍🏼‼️

4JC Christian Pastors Wife
11/23/19 1:34 pm

But would it be covered by insurance?

4JC Christian Pastors Wife
11/23/19 10:10 pm

Thanks, but even their reading glasses are out of my price range. I never spend more than $6 on them. And I don’t have an i-phone, so I don’t really see the advantage. I’d probably also never be able to keep those on, without the over the ear arms.

...

4JC Christian Pastors Wife
11/23/19 10:10 pm

...

ezh2o Texas Hill Country
11/23/19 10:59 am

Depends on who's life your talking about . . .

susanr Colorado
11/23/19 10:32 am

I think the “lifetime” refers to that of the company, not the customer.

I keep that in mind when I see tempting offers of “lifetime” subscriptions for services that sone apps offer.

Fact FL
11/23/19 10:44 am

This user is currently being ignored

4JC Christian Pastors Wife
11/23/19 11:08 am

Susan, I had a blood pressure monitor replaced recently, with a “lifetime” warranty. The woman from the company informed me that lifetime warranty on that product means TEN YEARS! And that since I had replaced this one, it does NOT mean ten years from now, I will get another one if this one breaks!

Apparently, they can get away with ANYTHING and call it a lifetime warranty!

...

susanr Colorado
11/23/19 9:02 pm

I imagine the details are spelled out in the written warranty, and it probably varies a good bit.

rons Thanks America
11/23/19 10:22 am

Who made the guarantee? Was the optical center an agent? I would complain to HQ! The guarantee was on the stores flyer I guess.

Think Lovin Life
11/23/19 2:19 pm

Ron ... the manufacturer, Maui Jim.